It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jenny Horne's Tearful Confederate Flag Speech Shakes South Carolina Statehouse

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

Sadly I love it

it does have a feel to it and bring many memories on how people sentiments are been played on, the force is turning very dark this days.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
They put that flag up at the S.C. statehouse in the sixties in response to the civil rights movement so the only "heritage" it's really connected to is an oppressive government restricting the God given liberties of some human beings ,many of whom are still alive.

(post by DelMarvel removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

I am confused here, which given rights are still taken away from people this day in America connected to slavery?

I thought we are all equal when it comes to constitutional and civil rights. That is what the civil right movement accomplished very well regardless of the confederate flag.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Marg, I think the problem for me is how a black person must feel.

Maybe, that makes me a busybody. My Momma taught me to respect people's feelings.

I have never ask a black person how they felt when they see that flag.

I didn't think I had to.

We have so many symbols...couldn't we find something more inclusive ? Just a thought.

edit on 9-7-2015 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech

Yoda was right fear is the path to the dark side......This entire mindset revolves around fear at it's root. Most bad emotions do.

Thankfully after this is all said and done white guilt will be all but gone and true equality can take hold.
edit on 9-7-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
The fact remains that it's a free country. Telling a large group of people they can't display a symbol of this country's past, for better or worse is going to produce the opposite effect. Which is why if you live in the south, you're seeing more rebel flags than ever in the past few weeks. It's become nothing but a damn lightening rod of distraction from far more important issues.

Who cares? It just shouldn't be flown in the state house. I don't care what a bunch of Southerns THINK it means or should mean and will fly it as a protest. I just care about it being flown on the statehouse.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I'm sick of seeing anything about this flag but one positive thing is instead of spotlighting that deranged killer this flag gets talked about instead.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

I'm sick of seeing anything about this flag but one positive thing is instead of spotlighting that deranged killer this flag gets talked about instead.

...and yet again the prescription anti-depressants a killer was taking, with outbursts of violence and fits of rage as known side effects, manage to avoid discussion in favor of a selected media scapegoat. The Rebel Flag now stands in the company of Marilyn Manson, the video game DOOM, Mortal Kombat, the NRA, the TEA Party, 'English Stress,' Aspergers, and The Dark Knight Rises as ridiculous scapegoats serving to protect the multi-billion dollar American pharmaceutical industry. Because, after all, any ailment that has no chemical test to diagnose is clearly caused by an imbalance that chemical concoctions can treat effectively!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
She set a bad precedent.

She actually gave the impression that politicians listen to the people they are supposed to represent.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

You know I hadn't thought of that and that is an EXCELLENT point, because if it weren't for the flag controversy there would currently be 5000 threads on ATS talking about Dylan Roof or some conspiracy surrounding him.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

To many it’s a symbol of ignorance, racism, and evil.

The Nazi flag to Jews, the ISIS flag too many.

Symbols mean a lot to people not the end and be all of life but they have as much meaning to the victims of the American racism as it does to the racists

If you can’t understand that then it is you who has the problem

Also nobody says it’s a panacea its just a small step.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
White people don’t have to feel guilty

This isn’t about guilt but a symbol of evil and oppression

It’s amazing how many people here have such a powerful guilty defense mechanism.

As if racism is a phantom and not a reality that has shaped this country.

This lady unlike many here has learned something and the fact than many here have not learned bodes ill for America

Wake up, grow up and start thinking

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The America for the common man is gone and is not coming back, at least anytime soon. This is why people are flooded with low level or meaningless issues to debate, worry and fear instead of asking why the economy, jobs, wars, political system, etc isn't being addressed. The plan is working grandly.

Really sad times.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Exactly, white people don't need to feel guilty to acknowledge racism... just a brain and an awareness outside of ones self. I saw no guilt in Jenny Horne, no apology just a recognition that a flag that doesn't represent all people needs to come off State House grounds. Pretty damn simple.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
good riddance, it shouldn't be about white guilt it should be about all americans acknowledging our racist past, and looking ahead to a better future where we can all get along and live side by side and put aside our prejudices, white, black, hispanic, asian etc etc.

just like muslims and islamic terrorism, we should all speak out against it. just like white collar crime, black on black crime and illegal immigrant crimes etc etc we should all acknowledge the pink elephants in the room and try to stomp that stuff out instead of looking the other way and justifying!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
All this rumbling and nonsense about white guilt

Why don’t you people start thinking with your brains rather than your balls

No body is trying to make white people feel guilty this is about correcting A EVIL

Its not about even race. Since there is just as many black Africans responsible for slavery as white Europeans and Americans.

Just use your dam heads

What if fifty years from now a victim of ISIS such as the Kurds or some Christians had to look at an ISIS flag everyday?

It’s that simple

What if a Jew had to stomach a NAZI flag?

THANK GOD EVERY GODDAM DAY YOU DON’T HAVE A FLAG LIKE A BLACK MAN( CONFEDERATE FLAG) OR JEW( NAZI FLAG) OR CHRISTIAN(ISIS FLAG) HAS TO FACE IN YOUR HISTORY!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
a reply to: marg6043

Marg, I think the problem for me is how a black person must feel.

Maybe, that makes me a busybody. My Momma taught me to respect people's feelings.

I have never ask a black person how they felt when they see that flag.

I didn't think I had to.

We have so many symbols...couldn't we find something more inclusive ? Just a thought.

This is a fine post. I have asked my black friends about it.

It is an uncomfortable issue in SC that has remained divisive for many years, and pardon me for being crude, but to most every black (and there are many in SC), it was like a fart hanging around in the room.

It's not life altering, it's not sucking out all the oxygen, but it is something foul that would not go away.

No one wants to be in that kind of environment.

The SC legislature accomplishes NOTHING. SC has some of the worst roads in the country and they can't even agree on getting them fixed, but if this is ONE thing that they can come together on, and put ONE of the divisive issues behind us....

GOOD.

GOOD RIDDANCE.

I don't think it will be a happy day for most blacks in SC, but they will be able to nod their heads, dust off their hands and move on.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
She's a bit unhinged and over-emotional. I'd vote her out the next chance I got and try to get someone more emotionally stable in the seat.

Then again, these legislators in my state are getting death threats and must have protection at all times. Thank you world for poking your nose into terrible matters this state could handle properly on its own without your expert interference.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join