It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bakers Ordered to Pay $135,000 for Refusing Gay Wedding Service

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

That's the crux of it.

Blacks. Irish. Chinese. The list is an extremely long one... All these groups have been refused service because of what they were.

These business owners are clearly, by the letter of the law, in the wrong. By the spirit of the law, too, come to think of it.

I think the settlement/fine is way over the top, but that's just me.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: TheBulk

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: TheBulk

Well a guy did do a video where he went to Muslim bakeries and tried to get them to decorate a cake with gay depictions.
They refused to decorate the cake but some did offer to bake a cake without the decoration he wanted.

Do you have an example of a muslim bakery denying a gay couple a cake and not getting attention?

That's precisely my point. As a non-religious person, it definitely seems like Christians are being targeted. There are no exposes or gay activists going in to Muslim businesses to request these services. Or did you not know that all these businesses are being specifically targeted for propaganda purposes?

In fact I bet if someone did start targeting Muslims businesses like this, the media and left would demand bigots stop harassing these good, Muslim people.

religious people SHOULD BE TARGETED.....they are the ones following the mythical words of a mythical being. your religion I do not care about nor do I wish to follow, that's MY CONSTITUTIONAL FREEDOM. I follow the man-made laws of this land, not some mythical god(s) from 2000 year ago.

Yeowch! I'm also an arhiest, but targeting people just because you don't like their beliefs is not only unConstitutional (so obviously you don't really agree with that document) but just as bigoted as you claim other people are.

Here's a novel concept--live and let live.

I'm just curious about your reasoning behind targeting people being unconstitutional? Not disagreeing with you.

Perhaps jimmyx is speaking from the great deal of frustration that atheists have to deal with day to day in our cultures.

I wouldn't have phrased it the way they did, but I do understand the frustration. You must deal with a good bit on your own as an atheist right libertarian ...

Assuming one means governmental involvement, targeting based on religion is indeed unConstitutional.

Otherwise, it is simply just as bigoted and hateful as the other side.

I really haven't gotten much crap for being an athiest. Even my Mjolner pendant gets a "that's nice dear" from the bible thumpers. In rather dissapointed by the non-reaction. I guess I have to try harder.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Well a guy did do a video where he went to Muslim bakeries and tried to get them to decorate a cake with gay depictions.
They refused to decorate the cake but some did offer to bake a cake without the decoration he wanted.

Do you have an example of a muslim bakery denying a gay couple a cake and not getting attention?

That's precisely my point. As a non-religious person, it definitely seems like Christians are being targeted. There are no exposes or gay activists going in to Muslim businesses to request these services. Or did you not know that all these businesses are being specifically targeted for propaganda purposes?

In fact I bet if someone did start targeting Muslims businesses like this, the media and left would demand bigots stop harassing these good, Muslim people.

religious people SHOULD BE TARGETED.....they are the ones following the mythical words of a mythical being. your religion I do not care about nor do I wish to follow, that's MY CONSTITUTIONAL FREEDOM. I follow the man-made laws of this land, not some mythical god(s) from 2000 year ago.

Yeowch! I'm also an arhiest, but targeting people just because you don't like their beliefs is not only unConstitutional (so obviously you don't really agree with that document) but just as bigoted as you claim other people are.

I'm targeting religious people NOT because of their beliefs, but the fact that they want the rest of us to follow those beliefs.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I'm targeting religious people NOT because of their beliefs, but the fact that they want the rest of us to follow those beliefs.

But that is EXACTLY the excuse they use.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Okay, that's totally odd ... I wear a Mjolnir pendant too.

I thought jimmyx was talking about the approach of individuals; I would agree with you if the government is involved.

You've had a diametricly different experience than I have.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

a reply to: NavyDoc

Okay, that's totally odd ... I wear a Mjolnir pendant too.

I thought jimmyx was talking about the approach of individuals; I would agree with you if the government is involved.

You've had a diametricly different experience than I have.

Maybe it's because I'm such an all around cuddly and swell guy that they overlook my heathen nature.

I recently got my hammer re-chained and I was out and about and a Christian I knew commented on the new chain and asked if the necklace had any meaning. After a lengthy explanation, the answer was literally "that's nice" and we went for coffee.

It is quite possible that the neutral reaction was due to pure incomprehension.
edit on 8-7-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I'm just curious about your reasoning behind targeting people being unconstitutional? Not disagreeing with you.

Perhaps jimmyx is speaking from the great deal of frustration that atheists have to deal with day to day in our cultures.

I wouldn't have phrased it the way they did, but I do understand the frustration. You must deal with a good bit on your own as an atheist right libertarian ...

you are right, I don't care what these people believe, that right is guaranteed in the constitution.....I however do believe that they do not have the right to force me to follow them. Abortion has been decided to be legal by the highest court in America. because their mythical god seems to not like that, they condemn all women who have one, burn down hundreds of clinics, and advocate killing doctors, and praising the people that do kill them.....it's their brutal actions, sanctimonious proclamations, and obvious discrimination toward people that do not believe in mythical god(s)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

you are right, I don't care what these people believe, that right is guaranteed in the constitution.....I however do believe that they do not have the right to force me to follow them. Abortion has been decided to be legal by the highest court in America. because their mythical god seems to not like that, they condemn all women who have one, burn down hundreds of clinics, and advocate killing doctors, and praising the people that do kill them.....it's their brutal actions, sanctimonious proclamations, and obvious discrimination toward people that do not believe in mythical god(s)

So if you don't bueve in hell, how can them wishing you to go there bother you?

And you seriously expect us to believe that somone has stopped you on the street, at random, and "condemned you to hell?"

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I don't force people who are religious, to go and buy their wedding cake from another baker, I don't go and burn down Christian hospitals because they refuse to allow abortions.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I don't force people who are religious, to go and buy their wedding cake from another baker, I don't go and burn down Christian hospitals because they refuse to allow abortions.

Okay. Now we are getting into over the top hyperbole. What hospitals--entire hospitals--have been burned down over abortion and when was the last clinic arson? Was it in this decade?

You certainly want to force bakers and how is not coming to a mutually accepted agreement and one party going elsewhere "forcing?"

In fact, NO ONE was forced to go to another baker the only force that was applied was used against the baker in question. So you like force, apparently, as long as you agree with it.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

And you seriously expect us to believe that somone has stopped you on the street, at random, and "condemned you to hell?"

because it's meant as an insult against my own character, which they know nothing about....here's a clue for all you good Christians....it's possible to be kind to people, have empathy for your fellow man, donate to worthy causes, raise your kids to respect themselves and others, and live an honest, decent life, WITHOUT believing in god(s)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

because it's meant as an insult against my own character, which they know nothing about....here's a clue for all you good Christians....it's possible to be kind to people, have empathy for your fellow man, donate to worthy causes, raise your kids to respect themselves and others, and live an honest, decent life, WITHOUT believing in god(s)

I know. I don't believe in God and I treat people decently because that's the way I want to be treated. I'm not going around condemning whole groups like you do. You really are exactly like those intilerant bible thumpers, just from the other side if the coin. The only difference is because they believe in a mythical being.

And honestly, I highly doubt Chrustians are stopping you at random to damn you to hell. Has that happened to you personally, really?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

no one was forced to follow anything........they could have gone to another damn cake shop

The only people FORCED to do anything, and the only belief system FORCED on anyone was on the business......

How do people over look this hypocrisy?

"youre forcing me to conform to your views by not making me the cake i want, I WILL NOT STAND FOR IT, so im going to force you to make me a cake AND im going to force the gov to shut you down"
edit on 7/8/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

no one was forced to follow anything........they could have gone to another damn cake shop

The only people FORCED to do anything, and the only belief system FORCED on anyone was on the business......

"youre forcing me to conform to your views by not making me the cake i want, I WILL NOT STAND FOR IT, so im going to force you to make me a cake AND im going to force the gov to shut you down"

ok....fine......I want to follow the christian dictates according to the bible....I will be coming to your city and gather all the women up who have committed adultery and stone them to death....I would just be following your Christian beliefs...you understand that, right?
edit on 8-7-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

ok....fine......I want to follow the christian dictates according to the bible....I will be coming to your city and gather all the women up who have committed adultery and stoning them to death....I would just be following your Christian beliefs...you understand that, right?

Again. Over the top hyperbole. Not wanting to do something is radically different than seeking people out for stoning.

The only people on the side of irrational levels of punishment in this case are the anti-Christians.

I don't want to go back to the days where people like me are punished by the state. Why In hell would I want to empower the state to punish people for beliefs or lack thereof?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I know. I don't believe in God and I treat people decently because that's the way I want to be treated. I'm not going around condemning whole groups like you do. You really are exactly like those intilerant bible thumpers, just from the other side if the coin. The only difference is because they believe in a mythical being.

And honestly, I highly doubt Chrustians are stopping you at random to damn you to hell. Has that happened to you personally, really?

I am NOT like the bible thumpers, I take no actions against, nor do I comdemn any Christians to eternal damnnation in hell
big difference

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Bulk#. You say the exact same thing to include "targeting" them. You are exactly the same.

I am NOT like the bible thumpers, I take no actions against, nor do I comdemn any Christians to eternal damnnation in hell
big difference

Bulk#. You say exactly the same things with exactly the same excuses including "targeting" them.

When was the last time one got in your face and "damned you to hell?"

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

ok....fine......I want to follow the christian dictates according to the bible....I will be coming to your city and gather all the women up who have committed adultery and stoning them to death....I would just be following your Christian beliefs...you understand that, right?

Again. Over the top hyperbole. Not wanting to do something is radically different than seeking people out for stoning.

The only people on the side of irrational levels of punishment in this case are the anti-Christians.

I don't want to go back to the days where people like me are punished by the state. Why In hell would I want to empower the state to punish people for beliefs or lack thereof?

you know...that baker, after this law in that state was passed, could have just told customers that he can no longer bake any wedding cakes, because if he did he would have to bake them for gay people as well as straight people, and he didn't want to do that because it would be against his religious convictions....but, he chose to discriminate, and that's why he got fined...it's as simple as that.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Bulk#. You say the exact same thing to include "targeting" them. You are exactly the same.

big difference

Bulk#. You say exactly the same things with exactly the same excuses including "targeting" them.

When was the last time one got in your face and "damned you to hell?"

I will target those Christians that take actions against people, that choose not to believe in a god.....do you understand what the contextual use of "actions" means?.....and what that implies?.....no one has damned me to hell, but, you might want to ask that of a woman coming out of an abortion clinic. and by target, I mean, speak to bluntly with an opposing view

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

You don't want to make gay wedding cakes? Don't open up a public business selling wedding cakes. Work out of your home for friends and family of the church and those who are referred to you.

Public businesses are taxed by the government, the government can't allow them to discriminate based on religious ideology. Religion has no place in government. None. Period.

Do you want a Caliphate? Because ramming your religious beliefs into government is how you get an ISIS-style Caliphate.

I bet there are a lot of fast food workers who have served KKK members and Nazis. If they had known they were in the lobby do you think they'd walk out and quit? Hell no, it's a job and making a burger for a bigot isn't going to send you to hell.

Any God that would send you to "eternal hell" for making a gay wedding cake isn't an all knowing "God". I don't know how we got so twisted around and backwards into thinking that a "God" cares one iota for any of this. We're not that special, and it's insanely arrogant of us to think that making a cake is going to upset some kind of metaphysical creator-being enough to torture you forever.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join