It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light signal "codes" to use with other drivers?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
So, I've always wondered what other light signal codes there are, to communicate things on the road to other drivers.
But always felt kinda sheepish to ask anyone (isn't that something I should've learned from my dad?)

Posting in automotive, I know this is the place!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: kkrattiger

Flash twice high beams to oncoming driver if speed trap was just passed.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Railstin

I thought that's like saying "turn YOUR brights down"

I turn my lights completely Off then On again to give a clue that there's a car with blue and red lights sittin and waitin.
I could be wrong!
edit on 2-7-2015 by kkrattiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Up here flashing your lights at an oncoming rig means "Watch out, there's a moose or bear in the road." From experience I can say it's a right neighborly thing for drivers to do, too.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Just a note

Certain states have a law against flashing lights to warn others of a radar unit ...

It's over 200 dollars in a state I used to work in

Just an FYI

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Good point. There's also that not-really-sure-if-urban-legend-or-real issue of gangs shooting drivers who flash their lights.
edit on 2-7-2015 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   
When folks don't have their lights on, starting at dusk, I flash my my high beams using "dashes," more than two times and stop only after they have passed or turned on their lights. The two "dots" for speed trap are pretty standard and I use those too.

As a child, I sort of remember my mother telling me that I could flash the SOS with the high beams if I was in danger and needed help. Since then, I've realized that you can do the same thing for drivers behind you, and more covertly (to passengers), using brake lights. I've never had to use either of those, but I have tapped the brakes repeatedly to let drivers behind me know if there is something ahead that I'm not sure they can see yet (e.g. stop sign, another car, are an obstruction in the road).

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis

Just a note

Certain states have a law against flashing lights to warn others of a radar unit ...

It's over 200 dollars in a state I used to work in

Just an FYI

if that doesn't say revenue raising, I don't know what does....

apart from busting legal head shops I suppose.

What is the result of flashing someone to alert them of a speed trap? They slow down. Is that not the intent?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

Devil's advocate here, but which incident is most likely to make drivers actively maintain themselves within the laws of the road, having someone flash their lights at them to warn of a speed trap or having to fork over a couple hundred bucks for a speeding ticket? It isn't just revenue generating, it is also very much about negative reinforcement of bad behavior in an honest attempt to change that behavior.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   
From my experience. Two flashes of the head lights means just past a speed trap and to slow down. one flash with the high beams at night means, your brights are on and your blinding me.

Oh yeah tapping the break lights lightly a few times signals the person behind you to pull over.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   

I think flashing your lights at someone is more of a regional thing...Where it can have different meanings in different areas. I don't think there is a solid set of rules on such a thing.

Basically, if someone flashes their lights at me I simply think...Hmmm, something is up...I should pay attention. Speed trap...animal in the road...wreck up ahead...Honestly it could mean any of these things. If someone flashes their lights I think it should simply be taken as a universal symbol to keep an eye out, and watch your speed.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: bhornbuckle75

I think flashing your lights at someone is more of a regional thing..

It must be an international thing as it means radar ahead here in Australia , 2 flashes = slow down .

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I never warn anybody to slow down, if they are speeding, they deserve a ticket. I mean really, why would a person want to help somebody breaking the law ?!?
It always kills me how people complain about speed traps. Well if you aren't speeding what's the big deal ?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

When on a freeway, if you are passed by a truck, it is common courtesy to either flash your lights during the day time or turn off and then back on your lights during night time to tell the trucker he's past you and it's safe for him to get back into the right lane.

I don't see this in the suburbs much anymore, but I see it in the country.

Two flashes of the brights to warn oncoming traffic to slow down. It doesn't matter the reason...could be construction around a blind corner, deer or geese crossing the road, a speed trap, an accident.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
As the other posters have said, a couple quick flashes are generally regarded as a warning, whether an animal, a cop or something in the road.

Another is if someone let's you in or over or something, a couple or three taps of the brake lights means thanks.

If you see a hand come out the window, with middle finger raised, you did something wrong and you should feel bad

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Thanks everyone. The regional thing makes sense. And the lights flash meaning a general Take Notice, is a good point.
a reply to: bhornbuckle75

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Here in England flashing your headlights to warn other motorists of speed traps/radar guns carries the same fine (or higher?) as being caught speeding.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
That's interesting. I think the egregious speeders should get tickets. Other than that, everyone speeds. Don't say you don't!
I was just checking that the lights were in working order! a reply to: Imagewerx

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
What I mean is everyone speeds, everyone has received a ticket, thems the breaks, but you crazy morons who are doing 85 in a 55? That's real public safety violation and not just revenue a reply to: kkrattiger

edit on 7-7-2015 by kkrattiger because: Autocorrect making up words

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I talked to someone about this this week. Isn't flashing one's headlights a form of speech?
You can probably guess where In going with that...a reply to: Hidinout

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join