It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police take to social media to warn about 'faux gun' cell phone case

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The underlying problem is buying into the "split-second" decision idea. What the split second boils down to is some cop deciding he is going to kill the other person rather than have any chance of being hurt himself. There aren't any circumstances where rational thought wont yield a better result than split second thinking.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: tmeister182

There is a SImple solution for this. NOT ALLOW ANY BLACK ONES TO BE SOLD IN THE US. ITS A JAPANESE PRODUCT AND MAINLY SOLD THEREIN VARYING COLORS. not in the US so much yet.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa
Just because you change the color of the handle isn't going to make it better.

The simple solution is don't buy it, it is a horrible idea to carry on you.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Yep...agreed. Hell, Glock has even done a survey about making a pink and baby blue option for their pistols for those that would want that.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Actually simplier solution than awful bright colors is STOP IMPORTATION FROM JAPAN.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: tom.farnhill
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I have to agree with the police one this one , the police have shot people before , mistaking normal phones for guns .

I have to agree with you there. I'm all about the 2nd Amendment but citizens really need to have some common sense. There is a lot of stuff on the pro-gun side that is being done simply to antagonize and anger the police and make their jobs harder. That's not good for anyone.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Not sure where this is manufactured, but if it's like most cell cases, most likely somewhere in Eastern Asia, available on Amazon for $10-$25.

Many police forces in Asia, around the world even, do not carry firearms while on a normal "beat" or patrol. Only stateside, is it that you're as likely to die due to gun violence from a police officer, as you are from a gang member.

I can see a teenager in a country where they do not have to fear their police when innocent, and where guns are not common, getting this to "be cool" among their friends.

So myopic some of you are.

There is and has been a very serious problem with American police violence for decades now, especially if you're not white. Being male doesn't help either.

Bodycams and cellphone footage actually catch police murders take place, and little to nothing is done as far as consequences for the law enforcement involved.

It's generally the practice for police forces in large cities in America to have non local police patrol an area, the reasoning being that they are less likely to know someone, say a childhood friend, and go easy on them if they commit a crime.

What this means in practice, is the police are often vastly different culturally and socio-economically from the areas they patrol, often misinterpret mannerisms they are not familiar with (especially the rookies), and in general have a fearful, reactionary attitude. These are the cops that scream "get on the *expletive* ground right now!!!" immediately, gun drawn, as soon as they engage a situation, as opposed to simply asking "what seems to be the problem here?"

I find the actual cell phone case in question less ridiculous than the fact everyones immediate reaction in their comments was, to summarize, a "good way to suicide by cop". People are so conditioned to the police potentially ending their life over frivolous reasons and their own fearful reactions that they actually would take exception to a novelty phone case before they would be pissed at our psycho police departments in the states. Sigh.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Maybe I can get a semi-auto shaped case for my pool cue.

So damn stupid.

A pool cue is quite long. I'm sure you could probably make a great RPG shaped case for it. How "cool" would that be?

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Britguy

Fancy people have sticks that break down.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: Britguy

Fancy people have sticks that break down.

Pump action shotgun shaped case it is then!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I seem to remember seeing quite a few cases over the years of police defending shootings because they "thought" the "suspect" was holding a gun, when it turned out to be a phone, game controller, can of beer, sandwich.......or some other totally non-gun shaped item.
It only adds to the ridiculousness of this product range and gives the police more of an excuse to use the "thought it was a gun" line in future shootings.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Bad idea anywhere other than maybe Arizona, even then much like open carry it just lets every scumbag know who might be an issue for them. Bad idea all around.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
My pocket pistol is Hot Pink. So changing the color means nothing. My brother also has a lime green revolver (I think it is a zombie edition or something like that).

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I want a sawed off shotgun case for my condoms. Maybe a hellfire missile case for my pen. Grenades for water bottles. Face paint made of fake toxic frog secretions.

Walking to work in NYC. Each against each. You can't have enough faux weaponry. Especially on the subway. I had to brandish my fake dynamite on the train just the other day. That ended well.

This post probably just triggered some NSA flag system. Great.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join