It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court extends same-sex marriage nationwide

page: 64
<< 61  62  63    65  66  67 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: grandmakdw

So if I want a marriage that's recognized by other states and countries, I'll have to go to another state to get married?

I guess this would work OK for people that never travel.

The rest of the civilized world has state-sanctioned marriages...

So if gay people can get married that means we need to get rid of the issuance of marriage licenses. OK, got it.

Sounds like a temper tantrum to me under the guise of "big government".

No, the state will accept marriage contracts.

People will sign a marriage contract and poof they are married,
once a lawyer or notary certifies that their signatures
are their signatures on the contract,
just like any contract between 2 adults.
Clergy will also be allowed to sign the contract,
no ceremony will be necessary at all.

The contract will act just like a license for other states.

The only role the government will have is to register the contract into official records
the same as with any contract between any 2 adults.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

People still wearing crosses everywhere, religious propaganda.. Men showing their Heterosexual by wearing clothes with half naked girls.. Television shows where Heterosexuals couples Date, stop shoving it down my throats please!
edit on 28-6-2015 by Darth_Prime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
So all these other Countries that have Same-Sex marriage before the US.. how are they doing? oppressive, religious intolerant?

In some cases yes, but it is still young. Give it time. They'll all get there.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
originally posted by: kaylaluv
originally posted by: veteranhumanbeing

vhb: You are just not understanding this; the States have been devolved of power and an illegal law by the Federal government has usurped State Law. This has nothing to do with the rights of people to marry; this is much larger.

kaylaluv: So what if the state you reside in decides to pass a law that requires confiscation of all guns from law-abiding gun owners? Does states rights allow them to do that?

The States would never allow this as we as citizens of this state must retain the right to bear arms (against a potential Federal government RUN AMUCK). Shocking but true. This is the reason why all 50 States have individual sovereignty that precludes the Federal Governments jurisdiction. The right to bear arms is part of our Constitution (second amendment).
edit on 28-6-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

The 14th amendment does NOT state anywhere that it only applies to blacks. It says "citizens" shall have equal protection under the laws. Are homosexuals not citizens?

The Supreme Court did NOT make a law here. They did what they always do: ruled on the constitutionality of an existing law. If a state tried to pass a law legalizing confiscation of all guns, all it would take is a lawsuit to go to the Supreme Court, who would rule that law unconstitutional. No state has a right to pass a law that is unconstitutional.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Well I dont know about you but my brother went through hell nearly committed suicide and had many dark nights of the soul before he came to terms with it,it is not the happy sunshine and rainbows with pink unicorns rubbish the media is giving me via they gay mafia.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

The States would never allow this as we as citizens of this state must retain the right to bear arms (against a potential Federal government RUN AMUCK). Shocking but true. This is the reason why all 50 States have individual sovereignty that precludes the Federal Governments jurisdiction. The right to bear arms is part of our Constitution (second amendment).

Never say never. Some states have come dangerously close with very strict gun laws, have they not? Who is to say that some catastrophic event might not prompt a state to declare martial law and the need to confiscate all guns?

The 14th amendment is part of our Constitution as well. All citizens are guaranteed equal protection under the laws.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Gay Mafia.. seriously lay off the ignorance for 5 seconds..

do you know my life? from birth until i was 18 i was physically and verbally abused by my "Parents" at the age of 18 i forced out of my home or choose suicide. i lived on the streets for almost 2 years, where more abuse, embarrassment, broken bones, concussions etc.. i'm 23 there is no Cure for my Gay, nor is there a cure for my Genderfluidity,so i am Proud to be who i am and what i am so i choose to celebrate it loud and proud

you are right though, it's not all glitter and rainbow, and there is still sooooo much more we need to do to get true equality, legal protections, we just hope this is a good first step and the others follow soon

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Fromabove

1. No where in that passage from Romans does your bible state anything like a) "1. We are not all of God's children, only those who turn from sin and have dedicated their lives to Jesus Christ as Lord. The Bible is clear on that. " b) Nor does it state any restriction on men marrying men or women marrying women.

In fact, Romans 1, NIV is talking about a number of folks who have those who "exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen."

There are thousands of Gay Christians. They have not exchanged the truth of their god for a lie. But what happens to those who your god does turn over, those who are worshiping other gods?

They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Sounds like you've got a lot of people in the world to condemn and judge before us poor LGBT folk.

2. Under the Old Testament, children were also stoned for disobeying their parents, women were forced to marry their rapists, women and men were stoned for being unfaithful to their marriages. Why are you only focused on something that neither the Old or New Testaments actually address, which is same-sex marriage?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Maybe try actually reading the Constitution:

Article VI, Clause 2:

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Stories like yours make me realize how privileged I am to be born to a woman completely accepting of my sexuality.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

The 14th amendment does NOT state anywhere that it only applies to blacks. It says "citizens" shall have equal protection under the laws. Are homosexuals not citizens?

The Supreme Court did NOT make a law here. They did what they always do: ruled on the constitutionality of an existing law. If a state tried to pass a law legalizing confiscation of all guns, all it would take is a lawsuit to go to the Supreme Court, who would rule that law unconstitutional. No state has a right to pass a law that is unconstitutional.

No one is contending that it only applies to blacks.let me explain, discrimination is legal except for in certain circumstances against protected classes. Just like the tax credits that still no one has had the guts to address. Sexual orientation is not a protected class therefore states that discriminate based on that are ok. The Supreme Court said they're not, therefore creating a new protected class.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I'm so sorry you have been treated this way. I'm glad you've learned to find the beauty (and glamour) in this world that is sprinkled in among the horrors of ignorance and hatred. I'd give you a real life hug if I could; but let's just say that I am very proud that you are a member of my Family.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Maybe try actually reading the Constitution:

Article VI, Clause 2:

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.

Now read the tenth amendment. Then tell me where the federal government has jurisdiction over marriage and sexual orientation.
edit on 28-6-2015 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
originally posted by: veteranhumanbeing

vhb:The States would never allow this as we as citizens of this state must retain the right to bear arms (against a potential Federal government RUN AMUCK). Shocking but true. This is the reason why all 50 States have individual sovereignty that precludes the Federal Governments jurisdiction. The right to bear arms is part of our Constitution (second amendment).

kaylaluv: Never say never. Some states have come dangerously close with very strict gun laws, have they not? Who is to say that some catastrophic event might not prompt a state to declare martial law and the need to confiscate all guns
The 14th amendment is part of our Constitution as well. All citizens are guaranteed equal protection under the laws.

There is a 'martial law' exercise being conducted in my area NOW. I cannot say 'never'. Arizona is different; but gun rights are being encroached upon by a vigorous ATF effort: they lost track of a lot of guns during the 'Fast and Furious' escapade and are now looking for them (possibly owned by private gun owners) in Cochise County. This is an excuse to raid homes illegally and take any legal guns away from legal ownership. This process takes those out of the hands of the legal owner and results in YEARS to re-obtain. Thanks for your comments.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Thank you.. i try not to share my story too much because i don't want to seem like a Sob story, or a crutch.. the things that i experienced are heartbreaking and any child should never.. ever have to go through it

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
originally posted by: Dfairlite
originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: veteranhumanbeing

Dfairlite: Maybe try actually reading the Constitution:

Article VI, Clause 2: This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.

Grypon66: Now read the tenth amendment. Then tell me where the federal government has jurisdiction over marriage and sexual orientation.

Who? Me?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

1 Read Article VI Clause 2 again.

2 Read the Fourteenth Amendment.

3 Read the decision in Obergefell v. Hodges instead of parroting what you hear on right-wing media.

4 Repeat from 1 until you get it.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Gryphon

top topics

<< 61  62  63    65  66  67 >>

join