It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mosquito larvae in an indoor fountain?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Yes, indeed. I found them first last week and again today. Now I need to know how to prevent them.
We have two indoor fountains that serve as watering holes for the cats. The water is refreshed daily and the entire contraption is dismantled and scrubbed weekly. I found the larvae swimming merrily around in one last week and today they were in the other one.
I went googling and found the statement time after time, "Larvae require stagnant water, they don't hatch in moving water." and yet there they were in my fresh, moving water.
The fountains are never turned off and have fresh water added at least once a day.
Any suggestions as to how to keep them away that won't impact the cats?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Stop the mossies getting inside lol

The larvae won't hurt your cats.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
They sell 'dunks' to drop into still water:

www.planetnatural.com...

Also have some based on garlic, but garlic is not good for cats.

www.garlicbarrier.com...

www.birdsnways.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Put in some small fish, like tetras. You'll have to change a few things around, but that's a solution.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   
You could try a small power filter that sits on the edge, like this one...
link
I don't think I would introduce fish without it being a very large water source, so you are not adding even more bio contamination and they would probably love to knock it over trying to get at them.

That filter is pretty simple and you just wash it out every once and a while.
edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: sp

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Try a few cap fulls of bleach in the water. I do this to water I leave outside for animals and it doesn't seem to hurt them at all. Been doing this for quite a while and my cats drink it with no ill effects. I actually sample it myself to make sure it's not too strong.

The same chlorine bleach that whitens your laundry and sanitizes garden tools is considered a pesticide by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Clorox brand, and other bleaches with at least 5.25 percent sodium hypochlorite as their active ingredients and labeled for killing bacteria and fungi, are technically pesticides. While it should never be sprayed on or at adult mosquitoes, bleach is often recommended to kill mosquito larvae.

Whoops - you probably need to know how much, huh?

Add 2 tablespoons of household bleach to each 1.5 gallons of standing water. Sixteen tablespoons equals one cup. Bleach is best used in wading pools, gutters, and stagnant water areas where large concentrations of larvae are found.

Read more : www.ehow.com...

edit on 26-6-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Those are good ratios if you wanna die
jk

Here's the proper ratios to sterilize water for drinking

** Those numbers are for untreated water as well. Treated water will generally already be chlorinated.

edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: addition

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

That's to kill insect larvae, not to drink. I don't make it that strong myself. In 5 gals of water, I put 2 cap not CUP fulls of bleach, then do a taste/smell test. So far, even in "sketter weather", I have no problems. I hate mosquitoes...almost as much as houseflies. Lol- You should see me "on safari" with a flyswatter.

edit on 26-6-2015 by DAVID64 because: typo

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Put in some small fish, like tetras. You'll have to change a few things around, but that's a solution.

Yeah, I can see it now---fish in a cat fountain---they would be endlessly entertained right up to the time they managed to flip them out of the bowl and have a snack with their drink of water. Then I would be engaged in cleaning up the mess! Thanks for the suggestion---at least it gave me a chuckle!

top topics

join