It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Presidents Whom Owned Slaves: 4 Are on Currency

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
As an introduction to why I am making this thread, it has to revolve around the idea to ban the Confederate Flag, Civil War History, Southern Heritage, etc. I think the idea is absurd and actually had to debate my aunt (delusional since her son killed himself 3 years ago) over Father's Day weekend about why the Confederate Flag should or shouldn't be banned. My main arguments revolved around that it would cause more harm than good to do so, that banning a symbol does not ban an ideology, it infringes on the 1st ammendment, and that many of our founding father's (ironically discussed on Father's Day) also owned slaves. I was able to name several at the time but I knew there were more. I knew Washington owned slaves, so I brought up the fact that if the flag was banned, he too should be banned from currency, and name removed from schools, libraries, street names and cities/states being named after him; I mean if you want to talk about "tolerance" why not remove a symbol that was intolerant towards people during his time, especially one our nation idolizes? I personally think it would make sense to do this if the Confederate Flag is seen as a racsist machine driving people incessently to commit racist acts, since we are surrounded by $1 dollar bills and the name Washington WAY more often than Confederate Flags.

Needless to say, I came off as the A-hole to her, as she jumped to the conclusion that I was inherently racist and continued to give me a hard tme. I am not racist, but I think that banning anything for the overtone or history behind it is absurd. If we live in a free nation, as we are led to believe, why can't anyone fly a flag that resonates with them? Think about all of the flags that exist in the world, now all the flags that can be correlated with something "bad." Think back to Penn State child molesting scandal for example, is everyone who flys a Penn State flag after the story was revealed a paedophile sympathizer? NO.

So continue with my story, I wanted to accumulate all presidents who owned slaves either prior to entering office, and those that owned them while in office. Also I want to point out the Presidents who are on currency that also owned slaves. FYI. Andrew Hamilton ($10) and Benjamin Frankiln ($100) were never Presidents. The number prior to name is which number President they were.

1. George Washington ($1 and Quarter Dollar)- at age 22 he became President and owned 18 slaves while in office. When he married his wife he inherited 200 slaves from her previous marriage. Owned slaves while President.

3. Thomas Jefferson ($2 which is discontinued and the Nickel)- at some points in his life he was the largest slave owner in Virginia, he inherited many of him and through his wife's dowry, which brought 100 into his estate. Owned slaves while President

4. James Madison- grew up in a family that owned slaves and owned slaves his entire life, even while in office.

5. James Monroe- Owned 30-40 slaves and while in office. Did not free them in his will. Owned while in office

7. Andrew Jackson ($20) - One of his businesses included slave trading and several years before becoming President owned at least 160 slaves and refused to free them in his will. Owned slaves in office.

8. Martin Van Buren- only owned one slave whom escaped. He offered the sale of that slave for $50 to whomever found him. Did not won slaves in office.

9. William Henry Harrison- Owned slaves but not while in office. He tried to have slavery legalized in Indiana territory while governor, but followed law to keep them as indentured servents for 10 years and then could be released.

10. John Tyler- owned slaves and also stated “(God) works most inscrutably to the understandings of men; - the negro is torn from Africa, a barbarian, ignorant and idolatrous; he is restored civilized, enlightened, and a Christian.”

11. James Polk- owned at least 15 slaves several years before Presidency and is quoted as saying “A slave dreads the punishment of stripes (i.e. whipping) more than he does imprisonment, and that description of punishment has, besides, a beneficial effect upon his fellow-slaves.”

12. Zachary Taylor- Two years before becoing President he owned at least 100 slaves, he is reported as to never selling a single slave.

17. Andrew Johnson- He owned up to 8 slaves up till the beginning of the Civil War, but didn't own them while President.

18. Ulysses S. Grant ($50)- The only evidence that USG owned slaves is a document he signed in 1859 freeing one, William Jones.
However, Grant certainly had some control over and use of slaves his father-in-law gave his wife.

I understand that many people through out history owned slaves as it was free labor for the most part. Many didn't resonate with the ideal of owning human beings but it was the prosperous thing to do at the time, I mean what company wouldn't love free labor? But how can we glorify those that did?

But still, knowing now how slaves were treated, beaten, murdered, etc. How can one argue that the Confederate Flag should be banned, burned, berrated, removed from history etc. if we still recognize these people as Presidents and allow them to remain on currency? If NewSpeak is in total effect, these people must be removed from our History as well, or else it is obviously seen as hypocritical.

What are your thoughts about this?
edit on 25-6-2015 by iDope because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Technically the presidents still own slaves.

We The People.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I have the perfect solution to this conspiracy.

Quick. Give me all your money.
I'll be more than happy to bear the weight of this oppression.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

a reply to: iDope

does this mean the Federal Reserve Bank will have to be taken down ?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

I don't feel oppressed by carrying around money. That is my point. The people who wan't the Confederate flag banned across the country are the ones who should condider the facts. Just as my aunt does. Which is what I argued against. I'm saying that if it does get banned, might as well put Steve Jobs and Rockefeller on the currency, as that is what they stand for; while Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, and Grant all supported slavery and racism by actually owning slaves. So why are they on our currency still, why is this fact not being argued, why is it just the Confederate flag? If the U.S. is supposed to be "tolerant" why still print these people on currency? Why still not tolerate sexual orientation? Why not tolerate personal preference for drug use or private lifestyle? Tis' the question.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blowback

does this mean the Federal Reserve Bank will have to be taken down ?

Let me ask you this. If this became a discussion, slave owners on our currency in the MSM, especially now, would it not envoke the question that a change should be made? Especially if the Confederate Flag gets banned it would have to be a talking point. Especially the Presidential memorials glorifying men whom owned slaves. It would all have to come down, it is the same symbol in the end, is it not?

Welcome to the age of the Nike Nickel, Microsoft Windows quarter (4 windows make a dollar), Viacom 20 dollar bill that streams TV on face of bill.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Hmmm, TRN's and SDR's in store perhaps?!

edit on 25-6-2015 by notmyrealname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
Technically the presidents still own slaves.

We The People.

Such an allegory my friend! Presidents rule their sheep through law and governance, just as we sheep are ruled by the money their faces are on. However, the President is a slave to other's just as we are to the President, in essence to your point.

link   

I read no further than "delusional since her son...".

link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

I cede all of these...

Confederate States of America dollar

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

HooHaa are you kidding?
To the 0.01 % We are all slaves.
Right Now, at this very Moment.
In the year of Our Lord 2015,
the majority of the population
of Planet Earth are slaves.

Quit being distracted by the
Divide and Conquer tactics
that are being employed to
confuse you/us from the facts
and matters at hand.

S&F for your research.
Yet if your as smart as I think
you are, I believe you have the ability
to come up with a truly pertinent topic.
Maybe consider modern day slavery /human trafficking/
income inequality/social injustice/ or propaganda for starters.
Best to You,

edit on 25-6-2015 by Wildmanimal because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2015 by Wildmanimal because: spelling

edit on 25-6-2015 by Wildmanimal because: typo

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I think slavery and owning slaves is wrong and I am very upset and sad that slavery even existed. It hurts my heart...I am glad that we have come as far as electing a President who has a mixed ancestry...but we have a long way to go in society.

I was raised in a family where we were taught to accept people ...if they were good people no matter their race.

I think it is awful that previous Presidents have owned slaves; I just don't understand how to them that was normal; and why would America elect such people?

I think that the different races on planet Earth are wonderful; I really like the diversity in people and there are so many interesting and good people on this planet.

I have heard that there are places that slavery still exists on Earth; I wish I had the power to stop slavery on the entire planet; I just wonder...what are the solutions?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

Even Existed?
My dear,
I am very upset and sad
to inform you that it exists
presently.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Its a strange one. Doesnt the constitution of america state freedom of speach and expression. Yet also displaying a confederate flag could be construed as treason. The way i see it. Slavery was a big part of the us before it was outlawed. And while slave owners might have been presidents they were not necassarily confedarates. Consider what these presidents would have done and said if they had been an active part of the slavery debate during the american civil war.

Impossible to say. So i guess they are remembered not for the evil practice they took part in. But for the good they did the united states of america.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

HooHaa!
Good One.
Disappointed to say.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

You realize tha her son was my cousin, and I grew up with him. The point I was trying to make without going into much detail was that she is still going through a hard time, and now does little critical thinking, yet she is still boistrous and strong on the sides she takes. She merely repeats what the media tells her, and If someone is to oppose her opinion she gets loud and repeats only the facts she has been told and denies any information that is new to her unless it comes from a credible source. I a not credible since I am not on TV. This is the problem with media that resonates throughout society.

She held so strong that the Confederate Flag should be banned that she was in tears that I didn't agree with her, as If I should agree with her opinion in front of my whole family just to make her happy. No, and noone should ever have to do that. especially with somethin so Orwwellian as banning the Confederate Flag. Next year we ban Rainbows unless at the end of each one is a LBGTQ parade, as it mocks them.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Dude.

You know...now that you mention it.....we should all really start envisioning a world where anything created by those old farty white dudes didn't exist, right? Just to be totally fair and make sure we're not oppressing ANYONE, let's do away with EVERYTHING we didn't personally handcraft from ideas generated by our own brains without the influence of other cultures or civilizations from any point in history.

I'm really good at making charcoal and fire, and will be happy to paint the caves for your amusement here....although at this juncture I have the feeling levity might not be a concept you're familiar with so let's see if you're familiar with sarcasm.

Since even as little as two people will eventually find fault with something to do with the other at some point - no matter how much a trifle or insignificant - thereby let's make sure to do away with everyone other than ourselves. Cna't have ANYONE being offended, right?

Heavens forbid.

Oh, wait - some people are offended by the concept of God, and others offended by the virtues of Science, so we'll have to do away with all that rot as well. No outside influences that might be OFFENSIVE, right? Whoops - there went the planet, the universe and all the laws of physics.

Equal opportunity, folks - here we go!
Hang tight, it'll be over in a second.

Well that was easy.

Sure is dark out here in the cold void.
Kinda lonely too.

Well, on the bright side - AT LEAST THERE'S NO ONE GETTING OFFENDED.

*PROTIP : if such causality were to actually occur, you'd end up psychotic and fighting with yourself. Been there, done that. Ain't fun. Humor doesn't need to be responded to when there are plenty of other people willing to beat this horse to death alongside you. Best of luck. May your outcome be less severe than my final solution suggestion. Have a nice day and thanks for reading.

edit on 6/26/15 by GENERAL EYES because: amended video embed link

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
And also. I am mot condoning slavery in any way as i think it is a disgusting practice. But many of the slaves where sold in to slavery by greedy power and money hungry tribe leaders in africa. For a quick profit they sold their own bretherin into slavery. And the europeans (and other prominent african tribes) profites greatly by purchasing these 'slaves' from tribe leaders. Its a sad business.

One that carries on into this day and age.

For example. And im not comparing this to african slavery at all. But first world slavery is rife. Take the uk. Forcing all benefit claimants to do 40 hour work placements to claim for the 70 pound a week benefit. So they get paid. And it might seem like a lot to people in other countries. But in britain that is slave labour. A cheap readily availablr work force that you dont need to outsource to china in the modern day.

Then you have all the thirs and sexond world countries where traditional slavery is still rampant and no effing western government gives a crap. But oh yeah what that dictator is doing is wrong so well all bomb him but f*** all the other countriea and people that are going through the same thing or worse because they dont have the political clout/resources/strategically important location that we need so f*** those people

Sorry for the mega post

Think i may have gone a lil off topic haha

/Rant over

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: moosevernel
Its a strange one. Doesnt the constitution of america state freedom of speach and expression. Yet also displaying a confederate flag could be construed as treason. The way i see it. Slavery was a big part of the us before it was outlawed. And while slave owners might have been presidents they were not necassarily confedarates. Consider what these presidents would have done and said if they had been an active part of the slavery debate during the american civil war.

Impossible to say. So i guess they are remembered not for the evil practice they took part in. But for the good they did the united states of america.

Well many of these presidents were from Virginia or the Carolinas, Southern State, so technically speaking Confederates. They would have been on the Confederate side during the Civil War, nearly every president forementioned. There are only two from Northern States one in Ohio and one in New York that owned slaves.

I agree that slavery was an integral part of U.S. history, and I believe it would have never became a world power without it. However, marijuana was also a major cash crop, just as tobacco and cotton was back then. Also many of the Presidents listed in the OP also praised slavery as a way of helping these "barbarians."

One quote I have from John Adams, the 2nd President said, “I shudder when I think of the calamities which slavery is likely to produce in this country. You would think me mad if I were to describe my anticipations. If the gangrene is not stopped I can see nothing but insurrection of the blacks against the whites.” Why not he be on a piece of currency instead? But no, the only president present on currency that was against slavery is Abraham Lincoln, and several others were never Presidents (Frankilin and Hamilton), and I have suspicion that Hamilton too owned slaves since he reside in Virginia and owned a 600 acre estate, but FranklinI I am sure did not being from Massachussets (not proven though). So really the only person on currency that was President to never own a slave is Abraham Lincoln, whom abolished it.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Those are beautiful. I'm a sucker for old world aesthetics when it comes to art.

I understand the Confederate Three Dollar Bill had Santa Claus on it!

Some of that Era (both sides of the Mason-Dixon) were simply GORGEOUS.

Maybe we should get back to that type of artistic representation in the modern age?

I call dibs on the Bill Gates Million Dollar Bill and the Steve Jobs Billion Dollar Buck!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join