It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 9.0 Quake, Tsunamis Strike SE Asia - 275,000+ Dead

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
I guess that like a 5 storey building then?

Actually 2 or so. But the momnetum was huge

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Banshee
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

Been watching this for days, it ebbs and flows, surges and spurts, but remains at an elevated level the whole time. There have been numerous times they simply went black, data overload. The world's tummy is gurgling..maybe it should have eaten those people slower.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
SkyNews has just reported that seismologists in the U.S. are saying the new tsunami alert is a false alarm.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Can someone please post the skynews link? all i find is a Canadian magazine that deals with astronomy.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I'm watching Sky News on cable tv. Their website is here www.sky.com... but they haven't updated the section regarding the new warning.

Cnn has an article about it.
edition.cnn.com...

Sources said the ministry received information from foreign governments regarding tectonic plate shifting near Australia.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by electric

Sources said the ministry received information from foreign governments regarding tectonic plate shifting near Australia.

Well, Stan Deyo issued another warning on Sunday of more possible extreme weather anomalies or underwater volcanic/seismic activities which could trigger more such earthquakes. One of the areas that showed a lot of activity is close to Australia, some other parts are China, South Africa, and just a bit in India as can be seen at the following map. This is from Sunday, i will check for any new maps and see if there are any differences in the anomalies in India.

Link to large image

Well, the link from Sunday had red areas i the places i mentioned above. Here is a link to the old map.
www.stevequayle.com...

[edit on 30-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
sky news still reports:

FRESH TSUNAMI WARNING

www.skynews.co.uk

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
and the bbc news report:

Indian waves alert sparks panic

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   
and the new list of aid beeing sent to asia:

AUSTRALIA: $27 million, five air force transport planes with supplies and medical teams as well as team of police.

BRAZIL: Sent air force plane with up to 10 tonnes of food and 6-8 tonnes of medicine to Thailand.

BRITAIN: 15 million pounds ($29 million).

CAMBODIA: $40,000.

CANADA: Government aid C$40 million ($33 million). Private
donations to non-governmental organisations such as Red Cross exceeds C$8.5 million.

CHINA: 21.6 million yuan ($2.6 million).

CZECH REPUBLIC: A plane sent to Sri Lanka with drinking
water. Officials said aid worth $444,400 would be sent.

EUROPEAN UNION: Ready to release up to 30 million euros ($41 million) on top of 3 million euros already allocated to IFRC.

FINLAND: Pledged 500,000 euros to the IFRC. Local
aid organisations have contributed another 75,000 euros. The Finnish Red Cross has sent a field hospital with 15 staff to Sri Lanka.

FRANCE: 15 million euros pledged and 110 tonnes of aid, along with 16 rescuers sent to Thailand.

GERMANY: 2 million euros. Three German planes to be dispatched to Phuket.

INDIA: Has promised over $23 million in monetary aid besides sending warships and aircraft to distribute food, medicines and blankets to Sri Lanka and the Maldives.

JAPAN: $40 million pledged, more than 120 medical and rescue personnel and three navy vessels sent.

KUWAIT: Supplies worth $2 million pledged and $100,000 sent.

QATAR: $10 million

SAUDI ARABIA: $10 million package pledged, half to be distributed via the Saudi Red Crescent, and half for international aid groups.

SLOVAKIA: Sent plane with drinking water, tents and medicine
to Sri Lanka; aid worth 6.6 million Slovak crowns ($231,660).

SLOVENIA: Donating 20 million tolars ($113,500) through International Red Cross and Crescent.

SOUTH KOREA: $2 million.

TAIWAN: $5.1 million.

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES: $2 million.

UNITED STATES: $35 million and 12 vessels to region.

source:
www.aljazeera.net

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Posted by Muaddib

Well, Stan Deyo issued another warning on Sunday of more possible extreme weather anomalies or underwater volcanic/seismic activities which could trigger more such earthquakes.

Yes, I've seen Stan Deyo's work. He uses a sea surface temperature anomoly map to to try and plot earthquakes. While it makes sense that the sea surface temperature may rise because of magma seeping up from the mantle where are large split may be occuring, there are many other factors influencing the sea surface temperature such as cloud cover.

He was right though that the 8.1 magnitude quake on the 23 December, north of Macquarie Island, did have a reciprocating shake. In this case it was on the opposite side of the Australian tectonic plate.

I believe at this moment most seismologists around the world are saying the Macquarie Island 8.1 quake and the Sumatra 9.0, which caused the tsunami, are unrelated quakes. It seems a little coincidental though doesn't it?

[edit on 30-12-2004 by electric]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   

ASHINGTON (Reuters) - Strong aftershocks from the Indonesian earthquake will be felt for "weeks and months" but more killer-magnitude tremblers and deadly tsunamis were unlikely, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (news - web sites) said on Wednesday.

Waverly Person, a USGS (news - web sites) director, said he anticipates repeated and at times powerful aftershocks that will spread from the epicenter of Sunday's quake in the Indian Ocean off Sumatra along a line about 600 miles long.
"I don't think there's any chance of a major earthquake of (magnitude 9) but there will be continued strong aftershocks," he told Reuters from USGS headquarters in Golden, Colorado.

He said USGS seismologists were aware of two quakes of magnitude 6.0 that struck on Wednesday alone.

Expert Sees More Aftershocks But No Killer Quake

I hope he is right - somehow I start to suspect that something weird is going here

Or maybe I'm just tired from all those strange news showing up lately

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   
On top of all that, there's a volcano going off right now in the andaman islands. I imagine that's letting off a lot of pressure in the form of gases, and a supervolcano may be waiting in the wings. We'll have to watch this very, very carefuly.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Yeah, WyrdeOne, because I am really starting to wonder about something. Take a look at the IRIS Seismic Monitor map. Look at the Ring of Fire, which stretches all the way down the west coast US, Central, and South America. Strong activity almost all the way around. It's almost as if the activity was working it's way around the ring. And look where there has been little activity. West Coast USA! Could it be next in line for a big quake?

www.iris.edu...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   
US carrier group diverts for Aceh

A US aircraft carrier group is heading for Indonesia's tsunami-hit Aceh province, and several other US military ships are on course to the Bay of Bengal to help with relief operations.

The carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and four other vessels will be stationed off Aceh on the northern tip of Sumatra island, where the death toll from Sunday's earthquake and tsunami has risen past 47,000.

Another group of seven US military ships, including a helicopter carrier, are steaming for the Bay of Bengal in the Indian Ocean.

Lieutenant General James T Conway, joint chiefs of staff director of operations, told a briefing in Washington late today the Lincoln group had 12 helicopters on board, "which we find extremely valuable in these types of scenarios".

Link

Good on them

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Also covered here Sanc:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes the key is that the flagship of the Expid battle group the Ben Frankilin has a 200000 gallon a day desalination plant and a 600 bed full service hospital.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Death toll
Indonesia: 52,000
Sri Lanka: 22,799
India: 10,850
Thailand: 1,976
Myanmar: 90
Maldives: 75
Malaysia: 66
Bangladesh: 2
Somalia 132
Tanzania 10
Kenya 1
Total: 88,001

Toll

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   
TrueAmerican

I think so. I've been watching it unfold for weeks, accelarating in the last week, something pretty drastic happened a couple of days ago, but I think something more dramatic is on the way for either Japan, Siberia, or the west coast of the US. Quite possibly all of them in that order.

The problem, as I understand it, is that all these events around the world, could be stimulated by unusually fast or dense magma flow, these events relieve pressure on the very deep magma chambers that sit under calderas. When the pressure drops enough, the stone cap is no longer supported and it collapses like a whale out of water, producing the caldera explosion.

The quake in SE Asia was a superthrust, and it resulted in a couple of volcanic events. In fact, it may have been a volcano underwater that caused it! This releases a lot of pressure, and contrary to instinct, what we want is to keep the whole system of magma chambers pressurized, to prevent the kind of catastrophic caldera explosions that could do the greatest harm.
In closing. Contrary to what seems like popular opinion on this site (most certainly contrary to the opinion of the average man on the street) there are more earthquakes going on this year, and specifically a marked accelaration of events prior to the new year. There appears to be a very distinct pattern, it reaches up past japan and siberia and alaska, and terminates at the west coast of the US.

Watch for the sign of yellowstone drooping. I am in the process of trying to get very recent measurements, like last day or two, and can find none. A droop would suggest a pressure drop, and then I won't feel silly wearing this helmet. ::pats helmet::

[edit on 30-12-2004 by WyrdeOne]

[edit on 30-12-2004 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
It warms the heart when we hear all these Governments saying we have pledged �15m or �30m to help the poor people of this terrible disaster.Then you think for a second.These same governments are spending Billions if not Trillions right now trying to kill people.By the way i was being a bit sarcastic at the start.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:21 AM
link   
UPDATE: Death toll

91, 932 dead and 5+ million homeless

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
UPDATE: Death toll(sky news)

120,000+ dead

Indonesia: 79,900 dead
Sri Lanka: 22,800 dead
India: 10,850 dead
Thailand: 2100 dead