It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 9.0 Quake, Tsunamis Strike SE Asia - 275,000+ Dead

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
CNN just put the numners over 115,000

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia (CNN) -- The death toll from Sunday's tsunamis has jumped sharply to over 115,000 after Indonesia reported nearly 80,000 people were killed in that country alone.

U.N. relief workers arrived in Indonesia's Aceh province to find devastation in the region closest to the epicenter of the earthquake that spawned the killer tsunamis.

Emergency workers reported that in some parts of Aceh, as many as one in every four citizens was dead.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Update on Sri Lankan toll: 27,000+

Fred, don't rely on CNN. They're doing a lousy job of reporting compared to Skynews. That's a 5000+ discrepancy.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
Update on Sri Lankan toll: 27,000+

Fred, don't rely on CNN. They're doing a lousy job of reporting compared to Skynews. That's a 5000+ discrepancy.

I know, but its always good to have multiple sourcves and on a disaster of this scope the margin is always +/- 5-10K at any rate. THere really does not seem to be any end in sight

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
my local fox news puts the overall death toll at 114,000

and
to the Gates Foundation for their 3 mil. donation and Amazon.com for their 3.5 mil donation

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Death toll just climbed to 123,137 as we spoke. It appears the death toll could go beyond 200,000.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
These numbers are going to keep jumping all over the place over the course of the next few days. There are many missing who got washed out to sea, including many non-residents. The true number may never be known.

Regardless of what that number is, this is truly a disaster of epic proportions. I'm just thinking back to some of those other instances where even more died, such as the one in China decades ago, and I simply cannot even fathom what that must have been like....

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
It's hard to remember, but the death toll is basically just people in the ground or lined up with a tag on their toe. It doesn't count the huge number of missing or the remote islands. Helicopters didn't even reach the Maldives until what, 2 days after the disaster? They haven't seen nearly all the devastation, but what they have seen on the islands so far is probably indicative of the rest of them. There are over 200 islands in the Maldives chain right? It could take years of family interviews to come to any sort of conclusion about numbers. I don't want to be misunderstood, I'm not trying to say don't post death tolls as they become available, rather, I am not going to start wondering when this is going to end until it reaches 7 figures. That's when I start looking for an ending, personally, if I haven't seen it yet. The numbers are pretty huge in any case. And the people that died had no warning because the government was afraid the tourism industry might respond badly to a tsunami alert.

Do you suppose the people are up in arms about this yet? Or would they just have ignored the warnings and continued on with their day?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
It's hard to remember, but the death toll is basically just people in the ground or lined up with a tag on their toe. It doesn't count the huge number of missing or the remote islands. Helicopters didn't even reach the Maldives until what, 2 days after the disaster? They haven't seen nearly all the devastation, but what they have seen on the islands so far is probably indicative of the rest of them. There are over 200 islands in the Maldives chain right? It could take years of family interviews to come to any sort of conclusion about numbers. I don't want to be misunderstood, I'm not trying to say don't post death tolls as they become available, rather, I am not going to start wondering when this is going to end until it reaches 7 figures. That's when I start looking for an ending, personally, if I haven't seen it yet. The numbers are pretty huge in any case. And the people that died had no warning because the government was afraid the tourism industry might respond badly to a tsunami alert.

Do you suppose the people are up in arms about this yet? Or would they just have ignored the warnings and continued on with their day?

Wyder, technically the death toll has already reached 7 figures. The millions who have been displaced have lost everything they had and have no insurance. Where are they going to go? What are they going to do.

The Maldives has been severely hit. I think a hundred thousand have died there alone. I don't think the officials will report it though.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Just wanted to confirm from another source that the toll is officially in excess of 110,000. NPR just stated this is the confirmed BOTTOM number "due to a drastic upgrade in the Indonesian body count".

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
There is a Tsunami Alert for India at this time.

www.cnn.com...

India's central alert said there was evidence from foreign experts that a powerful earthquake could occur Thursday afternoon near Australia, triggering another tsunami in the Indian Ocean, according to a report from state-run Press Trust of India.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by regs]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by regs
Just wanted to give you a heads up. There is a Tsunami warning for India at this time.

It was a false alarm, or is this a new one?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
New one. Sorry, had to post it then found where it was. Had got a request to post it from TMT since he couldn't do it at the moment. It's a current one.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
THE NUMBERS!!
The numbers don't do justice to the tragedy!
If you see even one families suffering the tragedy is quite evident! No matter where you look in the region the suffering grows- IMHO the relief workers should be more concerned about the people who are alive than the people who are dead because living and suffering is much more horrendous than death.

This tragedy just shows us how fragile our lives really are! How strong the force of nature really is! How disaster can strike anywhere and at anytime and how lucky most of us are that we can enjoy the company of our families or loved ones as long as we have!
How many orphans? How many widows? How many loved ones missing?

I hope this New Years Eve we can all reflect upon what we truly treasure and how fortunate we all are!

I am sorry that I have no new numbers to contribute, all I have is my thoughts.

IAF

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   

India's central alert said there was evidence from foreign experts that a powerful earthquake could occur Thursday afternoon near Australia, triggering another tsunami in the Indian Ocean, according to a report from state-run Press Trust of India.

Hmm, I am wondering what set of foreign experts they are talking about. Could the new warning be based upon something that the people of Univ. of Madras said?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Hmm, I am wondering what set of foreign experts they are talking about. Could the new warning be based upon something that the people of Univ. of Madras said?

I am going to get flamed for saying this, but I really hope this is right. Because it if it is, it will prove that we do now have an accurate system for predicting earthquakes. It could be a life saver.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Don't know for sure. I just got a message from TMT asking me to post that for him since he was on his cell web browser and couldn't post it here at ATS. I've been trying to find out which experts too, but no joy as of yet.

regs

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child

I am going to get flamed for saying this, but I really hope this is right. Because it if it is, it will prove that we do now have an accurate system for predicting earthquakes. It could be a life saver.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

I'm not going to flame you! I'm with you. I would love to see a reliable predictive method for quakes. Just think how much less this catastrophe would have been in loss of life if they had known this was about to happen!

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Yeah like has been said, i think you can safely add another 10-20% to the final death toll counted. Either the day after or two days after i saw this news report on bbc late in the night, where they were flying over some beaches off western indonesia, the sea was litterally swarming with bodies floating. I doubt more than 3/4ths of those who got washed into the sea will ever be found.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The first reports of disease outbreaks measles and diarrhea in Sri Lanka:

With concerns that disease could kill tens of thousands, the speed of the effort was crucial, especially the need to provide clean drinking water. In Sri Lanka, health authorities reported cases of measles and diarrhea, and people in many areas were prone to the threat of cholera, malaria and dehydration.
Disease

In these conditions its going to spread like wildfire

[edit on 12/30/04 by FredT]

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join