It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poaching reaches all-time high, 96 elephants killed per day on average

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
96 Elephants Killed Everyday By Poachers

Even in Dzanga Bai, one of the most protected elephant meeting grounds in all of Africa, isn't safe from heavily armed poachers, who kill 35,000 elephants every year or about 96 elephants a day according to the Wildlife Conservation Society.

Rhinos, tigers, polar bears, elephants, are all hovering on the verge of extinction, largely by destruction of their habitats or over-hunting by man. Silly man won't be happy until everything is gone.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

After watching a few specials on the poaching issue, it's clear that Open season on Poachers needs to be enacted. Those who like to hunt can get the thrill of a lifetime. Hunt the deadliest game. man.

I cannot see what purpose it serves to kill an amazing animal just to end it. You cannot sell Ivory without taking huge risks, and I'd wager there are better, more lucrative ways to make money. Maybe use some satellite technology to view the heards and find the poachers to make a wonderful example of them. It's just sad.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Those are pretty high numbers. Would not surprise me if elephants go extinct in the next 10 to 20 years or so. But ya, open season on poachers is likely the only thing which would put a dent in this whole thing, enacting laws which are not enforced really do nothing, most especially since there is a high market for those animals there will always be people looking to make a buck in it, most especially since there are no repercussions for it.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Here's how much it would cost to build a real Jurassic Park? www.businessinsider.com...

Maybe we need to buy one of those islands
off the coast of Costa Rica, and move a few
of these rhinos, tigers, and elephants. Then
in a few years it will be the last place to see
them in the wild.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

Yea, an 'ark' to keep the species alive until some means of eradicating poaching appears.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Instead we fight wars for oil. Our technology should be better used to stop extinctions that we as a species should be able to prevent.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
That's a serious bummer, it can't go on like that for long.

I'm ashamed for the human race.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TacticalStats
Instead we fight wars for oil. Our technology should be better used to stop extinctions that we as a species should be able to prevent.

Yep. Today when I got to work I happen to see
the MSNBC/ABC/CBS/CNN/FOX headline about
how "Russian Aggressively Threats Her Neighbors"
reported with a big RED map of Russia on the
TV screen (hearkens to the RED scare days
and intended to scare "blue state" types).

In only 2 mins, it was clear America is being
primed and hyped up for a coming war, and
the propaganda is now full throttle.

How can we stop animal extinctions, when our
policies push us toward human extinction?

top topics

join