It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nikki Haley To Call For Confederate Flag To Be Removed From South Carolina Capitol: Reports

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
So yesterday I commented that regardless of the history/hate argument, public sentiment is speaking, in the same way other things go out of fashion, this symbol of the past is going to be gone whether people like it or not.

I mentioned that this would happen through natural means, through democratic voicing of opinion, and through individual choices.

Today, Amazon, Walmart, eBay and others are all removing this flag from sale, and will not be permitting anything to be sold containing this image. Others will obviously follow, because lets face it, money talks and it would be a terrible business decision to ignore this and keep selling it when the majority of your customers would now be offended by it.

In addition, other states are now looking at how this symbol is being displayed and how it is associated to their state and culture. Schools will now be banning it from clothing. Media will now be removing it from the screen.

Regardless of what individuals here think about it, the public has spoken. Regardless of what happens regarding that particular flag in that particular place, the American public has decided already.

This symbol is now seen not as a symbol of pride and regional history, it is seen as a symbol of ignorance, hatred, bigotry and violence.

If you want to thank anyone for that, thank the ignorant racist bigots across the South who adopted that symbol to make it what it has clearly become.

Nothing anyone says here is going to change anything, you can debate all you like and go around in as many circles as you like. The decision has been made, and it's been made by the society you live in. Either accept it, or don't, bit don't be surprised when people call you a racist when you intentionally display it KNOWING what it now represents.

Remember, the Swastika was an ancient symbol of peace before the Nazis hijacked it. Would anyone still wear that and just hope that people don't "misunderstand" the intention? No, of course not. Everyone knows what it means, and the Confederate flag has gone through exactly the same process.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Isn't that profiling?

So we let a cowardly #stain and some knee-jerk reactionaries decide what the rest of the population can adorn themselves with?

You are spot on in your post.

It's a done deal.

It'll be banned. (Yay! Time to celebrate!)

What a sad chapter, when we place so much power in a symbol. We're no better than our ancient ancestors who hooted at the moon, because it scared them.
edit on 23-6-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Isn't that profiling?

So we let a cowardly #stain and some knee-jerk reactionaries decide what the rest of the population can adorn themselves with?

You are spot on in your post.

It's a done deal.

It'll be banned. (Yay! Time to celebrate!).

????

Who is telling anyone what to wear? How has the Confederate flag been banned? It is being removed from flying over the State Capitol...at full mast BTW while the American Flag and State Flag are at half mast.

Geez Beez...You can't talk about fictional "reactionaries" while spouting hyperbolic dribble about the Confederate Flag being banned and people being told what to wear by gov etc.

For eff sake, people are allowed to tattoo "White Power" on their faces...and many do..It's their RIGHT..Individual liberty...it's a whole other thing for government to endorse and honor "White Power"....government overreach in the south aka oppression.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Go buy one, wait. You can't.

Stores have stopped selling them because it is and will ever be connected to a cowardly evil act.

Government didn't have to do a thing, actually.

It's been banned by public opinion.

My next prediction. . . .

MSNBC will "blur" out the image of the Confederate flag any day now.

I'm so glad racism has been solved.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Stores have stopped selling them because it is and will ever be connected to a cowardly evil act.

See. My evil plan of hoarding cases of them in my attic will work. Buy for 5 bucks each now, sell for 50 bucks each next year when you can't get them anywhere. I'm going to buy a boat like on "Dexter" with the proceeds. You can come fishing with me.
edit on 23-6-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

See. My evil plan of hoarding cases of them in my attic will work. Buy for 5 bucks each now, sell for 50 bucks each next year when you can't get them anywhere. I'm going to buy a boat like on "Dexter" with the proceeds. You can come fishing with me.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

And I mean fishing, not "fishing." Bring a hat.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

You mentioned Dexter and I wee'd myself a little.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

You mentioned Dexter and I wee'd myself a little.

Just 'cause he had a cool boat. If I asked you to see my lab, then you'd be well to be worried.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

I'd join you kiddies for a fine day of bait and hook, but my lucky fishing hat has a small rebel flag sewn on the side of it...

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
a reply to: NavyDoc

I'd join you kiddies for a fine day of bait and hook, but my lucky fishing hat has a small rebel flag sewn on the side of it...

That's okay. I'll keep my yankee eyes closed.

edit on 23-6-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I swear this crap is bonkers. I have one of those flags that was passed down and is a family heirloom And never ever thought of it as anything but a nice looking flag. but to be fair we also need to start a petition to remove all US flags. lets get the Indians in on it and get it done because to them the US flag is a symbol of racism and murder.Hey this should be a worldwide thing! call the UN tell them to ditch all the flags!!

This just infuriates me people are this dam stupid to thonjk this solves anything. hello flag wars!!

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

now you are deriding free market capitalism? We can fix that by having gov tell them they must sell it! Your hypocrisy is boundless!

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

now you are deriding free market capitalism? We can fix that by having gov tell them they must sell it! Your hypocrisy is boundless!

What the hell are you talking about?

I'm hypocritic by pointing out the truth?

lolz

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Yes and the truth is that those companies made a decision not sell the Confederate flag...the same flag that was raised in the South Carolina Capitol Grounds in 1961 to tell the Federal Gov to go eff itself when it demanded that South Carolina Schools integrate. Not so long after Strom Thurmond representing SC in the US Senate spoke passionately about how "blood will run before we admit the N* race into our schools and swimming pools.....etc"

The same flag that the KKK flies and the same flag that racist tard proudly wrapped himself in for pics before shooting a church full of innocent black people.

That flag...imbued in hate and ignorance can come down from the capitol grounds of state government...if it means something else to you or others...fly it proudly in your own way with your own heart speaking to it's symbolism, but it has no place in government.

I have no problem with the General Lee on the dukes of hazard
But for eff sakes grow up, it doesn't belong flying at the state capitol.

edit on 23-6-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

It's not just he capital of one state any longer. It's here in Oregon, it's in civil war memorials, it's in Amazon, E-bay, Walmart, Target. . . . . .

If you think it's about JUST one flag in one state, you're sadly mistaken.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please visit this thread with tongue in cheek.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
If you can't buy the flag or merchandise anywhere(as in larger retail at the moment). It makes it harder for people to use that symbol. Apparently most people now( where were they voicing opine before?) feel that it is racist. There goes tattoos, stickers, flying it on your home in a neighborhood, etc. Might as well be "banned".

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: NthOther

So you think it is a good thing for a state (a local extension of the federal government) should be able to symbolically defy the federal government? Again I said I see no problem with an individual or private company from doing it, but if you can't see the conflict of interest with a state flying it, then I don't know what to say.

Damn straight it's a good thing.

Since when were state governments demoted to mere extensions of Federal Empire?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: NthOther

Disregarding your anarchist stance for the moment, do you think it is conducive to a functioning government to promote a time in the past when the government was so dysfunctional, that it split in half?

The government did not "split in half". A new nation was formed. That's like saying the UK "split in half" when the colonies declared their independence.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join