It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British police calling for knife ban

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark
I was under the impression that the carrying of knives, at least, was illegal already.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
If only we could aspire to American public killing sprees. I mean schools, a cinema... a church? You really should be proud Of your ability to kill innocent people in cold blood

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: intrepid
While you're all gladhanding and making fun of the Brits, maybe you should read the source. It's not a "ban". It's an "amnesty program" that is VOLUNTARY. Everyone will still be able to cut their steaks.

Not according to the quotes from the article I posted about and the sources for the quotes.

You must have read a different article that I did then.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: Skid Mark
I was under the impression that the carrying of knives, at least, was illegal already.

Correct. From the article, spoken by home office minister Vernon Coaker

"If you carry a knife out of self-defence, you run the risk of having it turned on you. Carrying a knife is illegal and will not be tolerated. It could land you four years in prison."

Gee, where have we heard the "you run the risk of having it turned on you" nonsense before?

So much for bastion's insistence that you just can't "wave a samurai sword around in public."

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
If only we could aspire to American public killing sprees. I mean schools, a cinema... a church? You really should be proud Of your ability to kill innocent people in cold blood

People are murdered in the UK in cold blood constantly. Just because a gun isn't typically used doesn't make them any less dead. Do some checking into your country's murder rates.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

You forgot being unarmed people being shot by police.

Must try harder - see me after school (preferably without a gun or a knife as we've evolved past dragging our knuckles on the ground
)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

lol

You used a Semordnilap I love that word look what it spelled backwards .

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

originally posted by: Greathouse
I love your threads SM you always try to instill some form of humor in them .

On the subjects of bans. Personally I wish they would ban the word ban.

For some reason I can't be completely serious about a lot of things. There's always something to laugh at.

No problem there that is a fine way to live. I practice the same thing because it's much better to laugh thing that is to cry .

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer not the mass public shootings which seem so popular in the USA

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

I'd save your breath brother. Every time I talk to a Yank about such things, they just take the piss and stick to their own made-up ideas about how life is here in the UK.

I for one am glad that everyone and their mother isn't armed here in the UK be that with a knife or a gun. There's just no need for it and if there is some sort of altercation round my way, we fight it out with our fists like proper men, not like sissy's pointing death wands at each other. lol

Rev

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
"It appears that Physically assaulting a person with your hands, in shape of a fist is the most common form of physical assault and violence. Therefore we are now banning the use of your hands, please help the cause by going to your nearest "Give Us A Hand For Violence Prevention" kiosk so we can surgically remove your hands for you."

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Yeah you highly regulated guns after your masacres but your homicide rate never went down. So you got fooled. Now england is the stabbing capital of the world.

Too bad anyone with a grinder and a piece of metal will be able to make a knife even if you banned them.

Funny how the hard work is never suggested. Job training, education reform, social work and political social leadership. Its way easier to ban an object that has no effect on homicides at all anywhere in the world. Its about poverty, black markets, and social fabric decay but you cant make a i sentence slogan out of any of those things.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
"It appears that Physically assaulting a person with your hands, in shape of a fist is the most common form of physical assault and violence. Therefore we are now banning the use of your hands, please help the cause by going to your nearest "Give Us A Hand For Violence Prevention" kiosk so we can surgically remove your hands for you."

Well really it all starts with the brain and it sounds like they are well on their way to banning using those.

link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Carrying a knife with a locking blade or one with a blade longer than 2.5 inches (I think) is a big no no here in the UK. That said, I carry a Leatherman Wave every day, but I live in the country and the Police just don't care out here.

Rev

link   

originally posted by: Answer

Gee, where have we heard the "you run the risk of having it turned on you" nonsense before?

So much for bastion's insistence that you just can't "wave a samurai sword around in public."

You can't 'in public' means like the US concealed carry laws. If you have legit use (sport or a tool) it's perfectly legal. If you're pointing it at someone's face or waving around aggressively, it's illegal.

'It is illegal to:

Sell a knife of any kind to anyone under 18 years old (16 to 18 year olds in Scotland can buy cutlery and kitchen knives)

Carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife

Carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife

Use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)'

www.gov.uk...

Mr Coaker hasn't been in the Home Office since 2008.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

a reply to: Answer not the mass public shootings which seem so popular in the USA

So what's worse... an extremely high overall murder rate or one or two "mass public shootings" a year?

Why do the folks in the UK only care about the latter when they actually make up a fraction of a percentage of the overall murder rate?

Your mentality has been totally screwed by your government's propaganda. It is literally like going around in fear of being struck by lightening while ignoring every other danger in life.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Yeah you highly regulated guns after your masacres but your homicide rate never went down. So you got fooled. Now england is the stabbing capital of the world.

Too bad anyone with a grinder and a piece of metal will be able to make a knife even if you banned them.

Funny how the hard work is never suggested. Job training, education reform, social work and political social leadership. Its way easier to ban an object that has no effect on homicides at all anywhere in the world. Its about poverty, black markets, and social fabric decay but you cant make a i sentence slogan out of any of those things.

Really?

The latest crime figures for England and Wales confirm the drop in the murder rate is continuing. In the financial year 2011/12 there were 550 homicides initially recorded by police, compared to 638 in 2010/11. (Homicide being murder, manslaughter and infanticide)

www.blog.murdermap.co.uk...

Check the second graph. Murders are down 60% since 2001.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

You can't 'in public' means like the US concealed carry laws. If you have legit use (sport or a tool) it's perfectly legal. If you're pointing it at someone's face or waving around aggressively, it's illegal.

'It is illegal to:

Sell a knife of any kind to anyone under 18 years old (16 to 18 year olds in Scotland can buy cutlery and kitchen knives)

Carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife

Carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife

Use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)'

www.gov.uk...

Mr Coaker hasn't been in the Home Office since 2008.

Stop using silly terminology to distract from the point. Carrying a knife with a blade over 3" is illegal in your country unless you're fishing or hunting.

You want to throw out "waving it in people's faces" but simply carrying one is illegal. The fact that you can't call that ridiculous shows how deeply you've fallen for the propaganda and lost your sense of personal responsibility.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

So what's worse... an extremely high overall murder rate or one or two "mass public shootings" a year?

Why do the folks in the UK only care about the latter when they actually make up a fraction of a percentage of the overall murder rate?

Your mentality has been totally screwed by your government's propaganda. It is literally like going around in fear of being struck by lightening while ignoring every other danger in life.

Come on man everyone knows being stabbed to death or beaten to death with a bassball bat is far less dangerous than being shot.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

No kidding, I was just thinking that we need to ban eating too!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join