It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lady problems - looking for advice

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I'm just wondering if any women out there might have some advice to offer me...

I've always had a high androgen level, and have entered early menopause. I went through a moment of feeling devastated by that, and feeling I'm no longer a woman or something.... but I got over it.
Turns out it is really nice to not deal with periods, or mood swings, or acne. I have had no problems with weight gain, just the opposite actually, and my husband finds me as desirable as ever, so...meh...not so bad!

But
Then the hot flashes started. I had no idea how horrible they are! Somedays it is happening like every twenty minutes! It is driving me insane, especially since it happens all night, and I can't get a good nights sleep.

I suppose I could get some sort of hormonal treatment from my doctor, but I hesitate because I've never liked the idea of tinkering with hormones.

I was wondering if other women have any ideas for ways I can deal with this naturally? Through diet, or exercise or whatever?
I'd appreciate any input !

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I'm not at that stage yet (I'm 31), but I think a diet free of processed foods would be beneficial.

Currently my kids are on the GAPS diet to heal eczema and food allergies. This diet avoids complex carbs, chemical additives and especially sugar. It's a lot of fermented foods, meat and vegetables.
I've been doing it with them and my arthritis-like pain is gone. Whenever I cheat the pain and brain fogginess returns.

Something like GAPS and paleo may help balance your body chemistry.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Hi, I used Sage capsules/tablets.....worked a treat. Not saying it will work on you as we are all individual, but sage is a hormonal balancer.

Jane

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
You can get over the counter progesterone cream. I personally don't have experience, but I have had older women friends tell me that it helps.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

While I can't relate to menopause, I can relate to hormonal issues. Before starting HRT, I researched non-pharmaceutical ways to help me out. Coincidentally, one of the major helpers is also something that helps during menopause. "Isoflavones" can be found in soy nuts and some other foods. It alters the estrogen receptors in a way to really reduce the impact of menopause.

Some women swear by it so it might be worth looking into. Good luck!

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I read black cohosh is good for those symptoms, I can't vouch for it personally but might be worth reading some reviews

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I hear you. Yes the hot flashes are awful and happen at the most inconvenient times as you are quickly rushing to to an open door. At home I was just ripping my clothes off. At night my sheets got soaked in sweat, then I woke up shivering and in pain from being so cold.

I happened to find out by accident what helps control mine. It's a medication though. Not a hormone one which I never wanted to use either. I was put on gabapentin for nerve pain for something else. Then I started saying wow my hot flashes have gone away for some reason. Then I started doing that thing where you forget a dosage and they returned. After that I started taking the dosage one pill, three times a day and hot flashes went away. I was googling this medication one time and saw they are used to treat hot flashes. So it clicked in me it was these pills helping me,

I'm not suggesting you take this medicine of course. Just saying they are what helped me out. I'd rather have them than start messing with hormone ways. I've also heard from friends who tried what I take and said they didn't help, but it was googling to take them on time that was the difference for me.

I have no idea how to combat this in a more natural way.

I hope you can find a way that helps you out.
Good luck!

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Not looking forward to this stage of womanhood so I can't speak from experience but maybe one of those cooling towels at night to help you sleep and a small table top fan so you don't freeze out your husband. It's funny we spend most of our lives sneaking the thermostat up just enough to kick on then bam we want the arctic.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Scouse100

Be VERY careful if you are going to ingest black cohosh. Make sure you check with your doctor or pharmacist if you're on any other medications to check and see if the cohosh will interact with anything. Some people also experience stomach upset, nausea, etc.

www.webmd.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I get the hot flashes when I'm overdoing it with sugar and breads. Avoid the sugar, and the grains, and they're gone.
It helps to live in a colder climate. In the winter I can just step outside for a few minutes to cool down.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Been there. I tried all the natural methods, but nothing really worked for me except estrogen. Luckily, the smallest dose is enough to get rid of those horrible flashes for me. We're all different, so your mileage will vary.

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Hang in there!! The intensity of that transition caught me off guard, no mistake.

I also have had great luck with cutting wayyyyyy back on processed foods as a few have already mentioned.
I added a few non- or lightly-processed whole grains like brown rice and wild rice to my diet. And any pasta or bread i eat these days is made with whole grain flours. I cut back on meat and added egg or vegetable sources of protein (legumes like chickpeas and kidney beans and cannelini beans, and nuts and seeds). I switched to cold pressed extra virgin olive oil for sauteeing and dressings. And i drink a million different kinds of unsweetened or fruit-sweetened teas instead of lattes or sodas. I buy organic when i can, but am not religious about it.

I rarely have hot flashes anymore. My main complaint was digestive issues, which is one reason i started with dietary changes, and lo and behold, the hot flashes, headaches and cycle-related anxiety got way better too.

My theory is that the higher nutrient density helped regulate or tolerate the hormonal swings better...

The things i cut out, like pre-packaged snack foods, bleached flour breads and pastas, and sugary drinks, i dont even miss anymore.

Best of luck to you!!

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Here are some herbal suggestions from NAMS (the North American Menopause Society)...

www.menopause.org...

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Have you tried Yam Extract Cream? I started using this about 6 months ago and it seems to do the trick for the hot flashes...but then mine are fairly mild compared to what my sister and friends have described.

You apply to the underside of your upper arm right before bed. I purchase mine at Whole Foods, but I am sure any health food store carries it as well.

Really has helped the hot flashes, but i am still bitchy as hell. However I just started this "lovely" phase of womanhood, so maybe it will help with my attitude as I go - my Husband is hoping and praying - poor guy!

Best of Luck!

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
If you have a natural compounding pharmacy in your area, you can purchase a test. When you get the results back, you can take them to your doctor and get a prescription and they will make what you need specific to what your hormone readings are on the test (taken over a period of several days) that is all natural.

It can be a little bit expensive for the test when you send it off, but worth it when you know exactly what your hormones and body is doing and can get a specific remedy for it.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I came into this thread expecting to give dating advice but then...

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I had a very unpleasant menopause with lots of hot flashes and excessive bleeding. I tried lots of stuff but only one thing worked: ACUPUNCTURE . It was so effective for all my menopause symptoms that I continued having regular sessions for other issues long over my menopause was over. Traditional Chinese Medicine is excellent for all menopause symptoms.

I disagree with some of the suggestions mentioned above. I would never take HRT or any big pharma for menopause symptoms. Chinese medicine is 5000 years old, and there are a lot of things they have cures for that Western medicine simply does not have.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Yeah, me too...wandered in by mistake.
I saw 'Lady Problems' and thought it might be another thread about Hillary Clinton.

Sorry, I have no advice to give to help. I'm sure the very knowledgeable women here will have some good advice for you, Bluesma.
Best.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

My wife just went through this.

The hot flashes only stopped when the doctor put her on Birth Control Pills.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I never had the extreme hot flashes...but I do have them.
It helps to run the A/C during the night...and we keep fans running in the bedroom to keep air circulating.

Also, I think you can buy cooling pads/pillows...check Amazon.
and, Es triol Care
or Phy toB-L

I'd avoid artificial hormones like the plague....can have nasty side effects, like hair loss or thinning.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join