It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If gender is in the mind and not the body, what do you think of species dysphoria?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

As in do they bark and piss on your leg or just grunt and bump into things??

Depends, I suppose, on whether they think they're dogs or swine.

I have a friend who runs a successful dog hotel and canine relocation business in my country. She had an incredibly traumatic childhood, which I will not recount here, and as a child she tended to make friends with dogs instead of people. She even wanted her plate to be put on the floor with the dogs so that she could eat with them.

She never actually thought she was a dog (as far as I know) but she certainly liked to act as if she was one.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

"It's been that way for a long time" < That's the key sentence right there. It wasn't that long ago that LGBT folks were discriminated by just about everybody.

It's taken time, and there is still a long way to go, but most people now do accept people for who they are. Yes there is still a lot of prejudice and hate from people, but those people are becoming the minority.

I guess in a way it's the same situation black folks faced in the USA (amongst other countries) on a few decades ago...but eventually people looked past their bigotry and realised they were discriminating against other human beings like themselves.

I would like to think that in 100 years time all forms of discrimination were just a thing that ancestors did.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

I have a friend who runs a successful dog hotel and canine relocation business in my country. She had an incredibly traumatic childhood, which I will not recount here, and as a child she tended to make friends with dogs instead of people. She even wanted her plate to be put on the floor with the dogs so that she could eat with them.

She never actually thought she was a dog (as far as I know) but she certainly liked to act as if she was one.

That's sad that something like that had to happen to her. The trauma, not the animal friends. In fact dogs make far more loyal and trusted friends than people ever do so I can understand her choice.

This topic seems to be a veiled attack against LGBT folks which is why I sorta lost interest in it. But thanks for the response.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords
The right to be what one wants to be,

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I think there are lots of folks who want to be "a special little snowflake" so badly that they will identify with almost anything they think makes them different/unique/special. In a world where we have taught our children (in the last couple of generations) that everyone is absolutely equal, everyone can be whatever they want to be, and everyone is super special... People want to stop blending in and being as special as everyone else. Now they want to be "more" special and are going to '"special" extents to do that.

Do some folks have some issues? No doubt. Go to Walmart if you ever need confirmation. But seriously, I think a lot of this stuff has to do with people having to go further and further to separate themselves from the herd (pun may be intended) and there will always be people willing to go there regardless of what it takes.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing? I thought uniqueness was celebrated in the US?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
LOL, this is definitely a bait/troll thread. Old hat really as Cuervo said earlier. Look I admit I am different even weird to some but this is a bizarre phenomenon or fetish as some might say. At the end of the day if they are not running around trying to literally act like a lion, a tiger or a bear (oh my) and eating people (hurting) EFF it.

I don't care, I would get my lil glance or two in and chuckle to myself and keep walking. I'f I actually had to interact with them I may just compliment their whiskers.

edit on CDTFri, 05 Jun 2015 08:28:47 -0500amppAmerica/Chicago05-05:00Fri, 05 Jun 2015 08:28:47 -050028 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

Troll thread or not, why does it matter? If they want to pretend to be a dog or a cat or whatever, great. If it makes them happy, then I don't give a damn.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Did you read my entire post...? Is that not what I go on to say?a reply to: Krazysh0t

Are you trying to pick a fight with me? lol
edit on CDTFri, 05 Jun 2015 08:32:31 -0500amppAmerica/Chicago05-05:00Fri, 05 Jun 2015 08:32:31 -050032 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I think there are lots of folks who want to be "a special little snowflake" so badly that they will identify with almost anything they think makes them different/unique/special. In a world where we have taught our children (in the last couple of generations) that everyone is absolutely equal, everyone can be whatever they want to be, and everyone is super special... People want to stop blending in and being as special as everyone else. Now they want to be "more" special and are going to '"special" extents to do that.

Do some folks have some issues? No doubt. Go to Walmart if you ever need confirmation. But seriously, I think a lot of this stuff has to do with people having to go further and further to separate themselves from the herd (pun may be intended) and there will always be people willing to go there regardless of what it takes.

I have to agree with you. However, if they are consenting adults, hurting no one, and I don't have to pay for it, including welfare if they can't keep a job because their dress or body modifications, then I don't care.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

No. I was more or less agreeing with you.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

This subject actually hits home for me pretty deeply - and I have a real world reason to have an extreme bias.

Sixteen years ago my sister met a guy that she wound up marrying. He seemed nice enough, at first. Given that we were latchkey kids, I actually gave my sister away at their wedding, rather than our father doing so. I was happy and proud.

It did not take long for the fun to end, however. The guy quickly showed a lot of pathological traits. He was a control freak. He saw himself not only as a mega-super-ultimate alpha male - but he literally would opine about how the world would be a better place if a virus killed off everyone other than his family, as he and they were vastly superior in every aspect to all of us other mere mortals. He was abusive, controlling, manipulative, hyper-judgmental, delusional, mean spirited, back-stabbing, a serial liar and basically an all around horrible person. In their first year I told her "My opinion? He's gay, in denial, and massively over compensating." That statement caused four years of estrangement.

This guy considers himself to be a modern Machiavelli, and brags constantly about how easily he pits people against one another all to his ends. Even though his machinations are obvious and on a kindergarten level of creativity, he thinks himself a genius.

Sadly my sister wound up with something akin to Stockholm Syndrome. She bought into it and drank his Kool Aid. She came to religiously believe his hype. He served in the Army but all real world indications are that he never made it out of basic and was discharged for psych reasons. BUT his version of things include:

1) Eating the cooked flesh of Republican Guard officers to instill fear in the hundreds of POW's he personally captured.
2) Invading North Korea - by himself - without permission - with an entire radio vehicle, JUST to prove it could be done. To this day he claims he is the only American to ever do so and that the NK Military still sends him messages of respect and admiration.
3) He shot at a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff because the helicopter the General arrived in stirred up dust in HIS camp ( even though he was only a Private ) - and that he not only got away with it ( because his female superior was also his lover ) but he got a medal for doing so.

Obvious BS is obvious. But I abetted the guy because my sister was married to him and she liked him.

Fast forward to two years ago. The jerk moves out and my sister starts to talk strangely. At first it's "He's taking Prozac and he's nicer now."... which leads to "Actually it's not Prozac, it's female hormone replacement therapy". Which leads to "Yes, he's undergoing gender reassignment, but he's not gay. He's a lesbian trapped in a mans body." Which just recently and finally led to "Alright, he's gay and he wants to be a woman."

Which is fine. God bless him and what he wants. I hate him and want to bash his skull into mush. But that's on me and it's not because of his sexuality. It's because he abused my sister and her kids for 16 years. He also caused me a LOT of personal problems during that time in the course of playing his "games". He sabotaged a relationship I was in, he tried to ruin my credit, and he filed a few "anonymous" false reports to the local cops that got me harassed.

This guys father is a very, very right wing Christian - which is why the guy says he was so afraid of coming out.

If that fear had not existed... if he had NOT been afraid of being who he was, would he have turned out to be such an ass? I'm left thinking we'd all have been better off if he'd have simply felt safe saying "I'm gay" from day one and not trying to pretend he wasn't.

So sorry for your sister. Too bad she didn't notice his mental illness and psycho behavior before she married him. Your story tells me the man had psychological or neurological problems early on.

This is not a troll thread as some have suggested. It is a thread to open up the possibilities that these dysphoric people....gender, species, BIID, etc.....may need some deep mental or neurological health treatment.

Society patting them on the back, calling them heroes, and turning a blind eye to the possibility that there is a pathological reason for their torturous emotional pain may not be doing them any good. It may be harming them as well as future dysphorics.

We should be deeply sympathetic and tolerant, but our society needs to look at these conditions rationally and medically. It may save a lot of heartache and mental anguish for them, not to mention the physical pain and discomfort of body mutilation and massive hormone injections.
edit on 5-6-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ancientthunder

Perfect!!

Gotta love Monty Python! Truth spoken in jest packs a punch for sure.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

So how long until this thread degenerates from its pond scum beginning into

"I sexually identify as an attack helicopter" ?

Wow, your squishy, fleshy, gender superiority complex show.

Bigot.

www.duffelblog.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

We should be deeply sympathetic and tolerant, but our society needs to look at these conditions rationally and medically. It may save a lot of heartache and mental anguish for them, not to mention the physical pain and discomfort of body mutilation and massive hormone injections.

The Medical/Psychiatric Association has studied it rationally. That is why LGBT is no longer considered a mental or physical condition.

Mental illness can affect anyone.

Intolerance from society for anything "different" is more responsible then anything else.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It is still prized which is my whole point....

a reply to: NavyDoc

I had a much better reply and lost it, so...

In short I am selfish in that way as well. I could not care less if people wanted to be animals, live in ginormous dog houses, play bongos on the corner for $1 a day, live in communes and never shower, I simply don't care. As long as it doesn't affect me or mine....

edit on 6/5/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I am a meat popsicle...close the freezer door please.

Someone give me some government money and extra rights, and change your textbooks to brainwash kids about my condition.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I say why not? Within the next 100 years we'll probably be able to upload our minds to robot bodies anyway.

Why can't that robot body be a sweet freakin' cheetah?

With lasers.

I want to be a laser cheetah.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BennyHavensOh
Gender is NOT in the mind but in fact IS in the body. Those that deny this are simply one of the "everybody gets a trophy" type that think that they can change reality to their demented way of thinking just by pretending it is so. We are born into this world and what we find when we get here is the way it is and always has been. Why is it that those that cannot deal with reality are allowed to "change" reality to suit their own shortcomings? Why does society not require these dimwits to conform to what is or leave? Why does this society coddle those that are clearly dysfunctional? Perhaps it is because we are a decadent, demented, damned near retarded society and that collapse is really the next step.

Yep:

Perhaps it is because we are a decadent, demented, damned near retarded society and that collapse is really the next step.

You are so right. Gender is a "physical attribute" and not a belief or behavior.

It isn't just that the "Lunatics" are running the Asylum any longer. Promoting lunatic behavior and driving acceptance of these behaviors is becoming the norm.

I am waiting for the lunatics who think they are babies, wear diapers, and crap on themselves to demand recognition and a public celebration next. Species dysphoria and Body dysmorphic disorder also comes to mind.

All they need to do is talk about how there behavior is promoting love and civil rights and this somehow defeats all objections about behavior. ANY objection is bigot hate speech regardless of the concern.

edit on 5-6-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-6-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: BennyHavensOh
Gender is NOT in the mind but in fact IS in the body. Those that deny this are simply one of the "everybody gets a trophy" type that think that they can change reality to their demented way of thinking just by pretending it is so. We are born into this world and what we find when we get here is the way it is and always has been. Why is it that those that cannot deal with reality are allowed to "change" reality to suit their own shortcomings? Why does society not require these dimwits to conform to what is or leave? Why does this society coddle those that are clearly dysfunctional? Perhaps it is because we are a decadent, demented, damned near retarded society and that collapse is really the next step.

Yep:

Perhaps it is because we are a decadent, demented, damned near retarded society and that collapse is really the next step.

You are so right.

It isn't just that the "Lunatics" are running the Asylum any longer. Promoting lunatic behavior and driving acceptance of these behaviors is becoming the norm.

I am waiting for the lunatics who think they are babies, wear diapers, and crap on themselves to demand recognition and a public celebration next.
Please never google "babyfurs".

Your head might achieve orbit.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

It is still prized which is my whole point....

a reply to: NavyDoc

I had a much better reply and lost it, so...

In short I am selfish in that way as well. I could not care less if people wanted to be animals, live in ginormous dog houses, play bongos on the corner for $1 a day, live in communes and never shower, I simply don't care. As long as it doesn't affect me or mine....

And that, I would say, is the correct position.

In my humble opinion.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join