It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wage Required to Afford a 2-Bedroom Rental in Every State

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DogMeat

If people weren't meant to live off of minimum wage, why is there a minimum set in place anyway?

F.D.R back in 1933 said:

“No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

and further...

“By living wages, I mean more than a bare subsistence level — I mean the wages of a decent living.”

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
People, seriously.....

How many vacant homes are in your area?
How many are foreclosed and unoccupied? In my area, there are LOTS of them.

If there are EMPTY BUILDINGS (homes, old warehouses, business, malls), then it's pretty obvious that there's not a decent, sustainable system.

Many years now I've been saying "put a moratorium on new construction until ALL abandoned or vacant buildings are occupied". Yeah, yeah, I know 'what about the construction workers'? Well, they don't HAVE TO WORK on 'new homes'. They can be put to work rehabbing older homes, buildings, etc. At the very least, disassembling them to reuse/recycle the materials and build community gardens on the vacant lots afterwards.

It is INSANE that we have so many homeless, and so many empty homes.
How ANYONE can say that workers don't "deserve" a home, food, clothing is truly disturbing.

Those of you flaming the report or its methodology, and/or pissing on the idea of a living wage FOR ALL need to get a grip. Your attitudes make me truly sick to my stomach.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Don't you know? The guy that hands you your super sized fries in the drive-thru is less human than you! They certainly don't deserve decency and respect as a human being...I mean, they're handing you fast food! If they wanted to be treated like an actual human being they'd somehow figure out how to make more out of themselves!

*sarcasm off*
edit on 1-6-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgunI never said that a minimum wage employee should be able to live comfortably. I said they should be able to afford BASIC living without government assistance. Did you actually read my post, or did you see that I had views that didn't align with your own and jump to conclusions? A minimum wage job should be enough for a single person to afford rent on a studio apartment, pay the basic bills, and afford groceries. But today, it's not. It's not even close.

A couple both making minimum wage make more than I do, and I go on vacation, own a 3BR house, and pay all the expenses for me and my wife. Making minimum wage does actually offer a comfortable life if you spend your money right.

I have already shown this entire post is false (not based on my experience). Why does a minimum wage worker NEED a 2BR apt?
edit on 1-6-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Everyone should be able to work 8 hours a day and feed/clothe/house themselves and have a basic level of medical care to keep them healthy and working. They wouldn't have any sorts of luxuries or vacations, but their basic human needs would be satisfied.

Starting pay for my position is $12.40. I am the only one working my wife has not found a job yet. Went to the Philippines. Just went to Cali / disneyland. Own a 3br house (previously rented a 2br apt).

I have no special situation. No special connection. Nothing discounted. I work less than 40 hours a week. I have far more than basic needs covered. Why can I do it, but no one else can? Why is anyone working minimum wage their whole life? Hint: They are not.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

There are lots of arguments for alternatives, and some countries do it better, but there are no economically viable fixes here in the US without systemic changes in other areas of the federal budget.

I respectfully disagree that there are no viable alternatives to the minimum wage issue. There is an alternative and why nobody ever brings it up is beyond me. It's calledMaximum Ratio and this is a great page that explains the difference between the minimum wage and maximum ratio.

Maximum ratio is clearly the best answer.

Actually maximum ratio rewards businesses to have as few employees as possible. meaning less jobs, higher unemployment.

What ratio do you think is best?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
When I left the United States in 2005, a basic 1 bedroom apartment cost me about $350.00 monthly. That was almost 10 years ago. Looking at apartment prices now the same apartment in the very same complex is $650.00

In 2005 Minimum wage was 5.15. Adjusted for inflation that's about 6.15 today. So rent prices have nearly doubled in that time frame, and yet the wage has increased by (adjusted for inflation, of course) about ONE dollar more per hour than ten years ago.

Not sure your point... Minimum wage federally is 7.25, and most likely going up soon, it is over 9 bucks in my state alone.

So lets see... Rent went up 80% ( most likely due to the housing crunch) minimum wage went up 40%, or close to 80% in my state of WA.

In the past, if someone worked an honest 40 hours flipping burgers at minimum wage, you could afford to live on that, even if it was minimum wage. Sure, you wouldn't be rich, but you could LIVE. Now, that SAME honest 40 won't go nearly as far as it used to, and many workers in the minimum wage bracket can't even WORK a full 40 because so many places do the "part time, no benefits" scam of hiring MORE workers for less hours just so they don't have to offer benefits.

I say Bull to this...I can run the numbers but I have lived this, and no, a person can not, has not, lived on their own making minimum wage.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Why should someone be able to afford a 2br apt living on their own making minimum wage? Why will no one answer that?

How many adults who are breadwinners make minimum wage?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

a reply to: DogMeat

If people weren't meant to live off of minimum wage, why is there a minimum set in place anyway?

I been around a good while, started working in 1978 and minimum wage until just resent years was never considered a "living wage" It was a wage to a starter job for someone with zero skills and low education, i.e. very young people. The other side was it was also a wage to supplement retired people.

Also, please explain to me why should minimum wage be based on someone supporting themselves 100% on their own, or even worst, a family? Do you realize that the vast majority of minimum wage jobs are with small businesses that have the tightest margins? Companies like Boeing have no one working for them even at 2 times minimum wage...

If jobs are few to be found to the point that people who need a living wage can only fine minimum wage jobs, whose fault is it? I say it is more the Government's fault for failing to fix the recession over the past 6 years, It's the governments fault for the failure of Fanny and Freddie that caused the large increase in rent too, its the Government's fault for not making it more viable to bring jobs back to America, it's the Government's fault for not fixing the illegal alien issue, or at lease making it economically undesirable to hire them.

But you all want to blame the owner of a small business for not paying everyone a wage they could live on the rest of their lives... geez, give me a break.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Why should someone be able to afford a 2br apt living on their own making minimum wage? Why will no one answer that?

How many adults who are breadwinners make minimum wage?

I had a roommate in a 2 bedroom apartment until I was in my 30s. After that I reached a point I could live OK on my own, then OK with a family, and now I live well as I hit 55 this year.

Its almost like just because you work for me you are now my full responsibility. I have a job, it pays XX, do you want it or not? You can't support a 2 bedroom, cable, internet, IPhone, organic foods, late model car, eating out 3 days a week, 4 dollar micro brews etc etc? IT PAYS XX, DO YOU WANT THE JOB OR NOT?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I been around a good while, started working in 1978

Yeah? Woot!!!
In 1978 I was a sophomore in college.

I started working 'formally' (with taxes withheld and all that jazz) in 1972. (Prior to that I was a babysitter and a paper-girl from the time I was 12). Yeah, so my first "official" job was in a brand new grocery store, in the bakery..... I was 14. My co-workers were Millie, Fern, and Gladys.

And I am NOT KIDDING. Millie, Fern, and Gladys. My coworkers.

edit on 6/1/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I been around a good while, started working in 1978

Yeah? Woot!!!
In 1978 I was a sophomore in college.

I started working 'formally (with taxes withheld and all that jazz) in 1972. (Prior to that I was a babysitter and a paper-girl from the time I was 12). Yeah, so my first "official" job was in a brand new grocery store, in the bakery..... I was 14. My co-workers were Millie, Fern, and Gladys.

Paper girl, impressive, not too many of them back then. I think my first job after paper boy was a mover busting my butt.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

We (my brothers and I) were saving up for a horse.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

We (my brothers and I) were saving up for a horse.

Grew up in Phoenix, we all had horses, I wanted a motorcycle though... hehe

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Grew up in Phoenix, we all had horses,

Lucky you!!!!!

We got one when I was 13......and after I became an adult, I had 7 more.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I live well as I hit 55 this year.

So - now I'm confused.

You grew up in the 60s and 70s, (like I did - I turned 56 last fall)....but you don't understand how people NOW are suffering?

I don't get it.
I don't understand how you are so dismissive of people who are working but not able to survive.
It doesn't make sense to me.

But - oh well.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
What I'm sensing here from those who don't want to provide a "living wage" to people making the federally mandated minimum is anger.

I think deep down, perhaps even unconsciously these people are mad and upset because they think it devalues them and what they make.

"Well if they get paid more, enough to live on -- then by God I should get paid more too!"

Maybe that's why people hate union workers and say things like, "There overpaid!" ... No, perhaps YOU'RE underpaid.

There aren't enough technical or skilled jobs for everyone, someone is always going to have to the the crap jobs. Someone is going to have to collect the garbage, mow the grass, change lightbulbs and hem pants. Until we all decide not to eat fast food, someone is going to have to flip burgers.

Even if everyone had a genius IQ, someone would have to do these jobs. In the supposed "greatest country on Earth" we can't have a bottom floor that provides basic human necessities like shelter, food, and basic preventative medical care?

Sure, you can work your way up to a manager at McDonalds and make a really good living -- but how many positions at each McDonalds are there?

I'm seeing a lot of thinly veiled "survival of the fittest" attitudes here. We're not a herd of wild animals, we're supposed to be evolved into intellectually superior mammals.

You can even look at this through a set of Christian-tinted glasses and see that treating minimum wage earners like this is wrong. Would Jesus really support not paying enough so that a single person with a minimum wage job can't house, clothe, and feed themselves working 40 hours a week?

So we won't pay these people enough to live on, but when they turn to the government for assistance then they're "moochers". The best thing we can do for the economy is to get these people OFF the government's payroll and give them more money to inject BACK into the economy.

Paying people more money is a great way to stimulate the economy. When people have money, they buy things. Demand for products and services go up. When demand for products and services go up, companies sell more products. When companies sell more products, they make more money and can hire more people. Everyone wins.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Everyone should be able to work 8 hours a day and feed/clothe/house themselves and have a basic level of medical care to keep them healthy and working. They wouldn't have any sorts of luxuries or vacations, but their basic human needs would be satisfied.

Starting pay for my position is $12.40. I am the only one working my wife has not found a job yet. Went to the Philippines. Just went to Cali / disneyland. Own a 3br house (previously rented a 2br apt).

$12.40 US (16.22 AU) is 47 cents below the 'full time' minimum wage in Australia. 'Full time' meaning you are guaranteed 2 weeks paid holiday (vacation time) a year, 10 days sick leave, you can't be fired without 3 written warnings and you are guaranteed to get paid for 38 hours a week, even if the boss can't physically provide the work.

The 'casual' minimum is 16.41 US (21.50 AU). 'Causal' means you don't get holiday or sick leave benefits and aren't guaranteed your 38 hours a week pay and can be fired without warning.

Anyway.............. As unpopular as this statements going to be, I have to say it! Its quite simply just disgraceful that the US minimum wage is 7.25 an hour, without guaranteed benefits, none the less. You guys don't even have universal healthcare and have to pay just to see a doctor!

Yet you have a gdp of 17 trillion and the largest amount of billionaires in the whole entire world!

When will the average Americans quit being a pack of bitches to the 1% and stand up and demand that that the minimum wage be raised to a standard that can actually support a single person? Let alone a person with a family to support.

A minimum wage 'fulltime' worker should be rewarded basic benefits that recognizes there value to a company. But Americans are just brainwashed into believing its perfectly reasonable to just spit on the face of the hardest working people in society. Well the upper class live a life of luxury, from the sweat and blood of the poor, well claiming its the poor's own fault they have to work so hard just to survive and are obligated to maintain the luxury lifestyles of the rich.

edit on 1-6-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I don't get it.
I don't understand how you are so dismissive of people who are working but not able to survive.
It doesn't make sense to me.
But - oh well.

No I understand, but the fix isn't to raise minimum wage. Raising minimum wage would be like putting a band-aid on a cut that needs stitches.

My big question is how does EVERY small business adsorb a nice big pay increase? The answer is they can't, the other question is why are so many people working crappy jobs that only pay minimum wage when they should be long past that point of their life? Also, do you realize that only 5% of workers make minimum wage?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

$12.40 US (16.22 AU) is 47 cents below the 'full time' minimum wage in Australia. 'Full time' meaning you are guaranteed 2 weeks paid holiday (vacation time) a year, 10 days sick leave, you can't be fired without 3 written warnings and you are guaranteed to get paid for 38 hours a week, even if the boss can't physically provide the work.

The 'casual' minimum is 16.41 US (21.50 AU). 'Causal' means you don't get holiday or sick leave benefits and aren't guaranteed your 38 hours a week pay and can be fired without warning.

Anyway.............. As unpopular as this statements going to be, I have to say it! Its quite simply just disgraceful that the US minimum wage is 7.25 an hour, without guaranteed benefits, none the less. You guys don't even have universal healthcare and have to pay just to see a doctor!

Yet you have a gdp of 17 trillion and the largest amount of billionaires in the whole entire world!

When will the average Americans quit being a pack of bitches to the 1% and stand up and demand that that the minimum wage be raised to a standard that can actually support a single person? Let alone a person with a family to support.

A minimum wage 'fulltime' worker should be rewarded basic benefits that recognizes there value to a company. But Americans are just brainwashed into believing its perfectly reasonable to just spit on the face of the hardest working people in society. Well the upper class live a life of luxury, from the sweat and blood of the poor, well claiming its the poor's own fault they have to work so hard just to survive and are obligated to maintain the luxury lifestyles of the rich.

I'm writing a song for you.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join