It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any advice on picking a good GPS unit for my car?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I have never owned one but I am going to Charlotte, NC in a couple weeks and figured I am getting to senile to read a map and drive.

I spent a couple hours online looking at probably 20 different GPS units and reading reviews. I feel like rolling a 20 sided die and going with it at this point.

Anyway, If any of you would be kind enough to share your knowledge and experience I would be grateful.

This is at the top of my list at the moment.

Garmin nüvi 52LM 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps (US) $92.

From Amazon

There are some that are 3x as much that have Bluetooth, are they worth the money? Why would I need Bluetooth?

I appreciate any advice you can give me
Thank You
edit on 5 27 2015 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Just bring my significant other along they know everything and how to get everywhere, just ask them!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualKat33
I know what you mean, I never got lost because the wife always told me where to go......

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Grayarea

LoL, she is not going with me

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I use the Garmin Nuvi 2689. It's great! Bluetooth can hook up with your phone and if you have internet on your phone your GPS will have live traffic updates, and you can download the Garmin app and add addresses on your phone that will sync with your GPS. Foursquare is a somewhat useful app that can be utilized.

I would recommend getting the add-on voice bundle package of Yoda or Darth Vader. There voice will be your GPS voice as well as your vehicle on screen will change to an Imperial Cruiser or a TIE Fighter.

edit on 5/27/2015 by Illumin because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/27/2015 by Illumin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I've had Garmins. No complaints.

I take it you don't have a smartphone. If you have a smartphone just buy a nice mount, they work just as well if not better and have more features or the GPS just ends up using your phone to do the same thing.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I'm pretty sure the phone and GPS run off of different satellites right? Living in Colorado I have had a few times where I'm running Google Maps on my phone and it has lost signal, whereas my GPS has never lost a signal.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Tom Tom. Cheap and reliable GPS.

Updates are free.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I purchase a Nuvi for my parents...naturally they never use it but I tried it out and it's great...Bluetooth is for your phone to sync it so you can voice dial or take a call...these things just get better and better...

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I had a Magellan. It died at about a year and was wonky for a few months before that. I have Garmin now and it's mostly good although it does glitch here and there momentarily.

I would not buy online. Go to a store and pick one off the shelf so you can make absolutely sure it's new. Almost all the ones out there are reconditioned. At the very least, if you do buy online make sure it's a new unit.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
ive always just used a map and the gps on my phone.
the gps usually starts to annoy so i just use the map

i will be your gps
90 west to
79 south to
77 south

youre there

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
I've had Garmins. No complaints.

I take it you don't have a smartphone. If you have a smartphone just buy a nice mount, they work just as well if not better and have more features or the GPS just ends up using your phone to do the same thing.

I tried this, and I still have mine mounted. But in sunny days the glare gets in the way I found. Good GPS have the old school touch screens that are somewhat pressure sensitive, and give off little to no glare.

To OP,

I have a Garmin, and it's great, I never thought I'd need it that much, but once you download some add one and such it's worth it. I use it to track my mileage, top speed, where I've been, etc. You can also download other regions of the world for a price. When I went to the UK I bought the UK map package, and I can kee that up to date for free as well, it really did come in handy.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Illumin

Thank you for the Bluetooth info.

I will check out Yoda for sure!

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

No smart phone. Every time I am due for an updated phone my wife takes.

I have had the same phone for about 3 or 4 years.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco
Thank you, since I will probably never have a smart phone, unless the wife lets me
, I guess I will skip the BT for now.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I had not even thought about it being reconditioned. Thanks for the heads up!

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly
ive always just used a map and the gps on my phone.
the gps usually starts to annoy so i just use the map

i will be your gps
90 west to
79 south to
77 south

youre there

You're awesome! Problem solved......Thank you all

I will take a map, But I figured I wanted a new toy. It was a perfect excuse for the wife....'You are not coming??? I HAVE to get a GPS then!'

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Thank you. I think, After reading all your replies, that I will get the one I posted in the OP.

I don't need BT, and all the reviews I have read are good. It has free US updates.

I will let you know how it works out, I get it Sat. Amazon prime is awesome

Thank you all for your help, ATS'ers always come through

For all your help......

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Avoid cheap second hand units off the internet. Seemed like a good idea to me; until it put me in a field. That's not to say cheap GPS units are bad however. You can find some brilliant alternative brands on Amazon, that cost very little compared to the main brands i.e. GARMIN and TomTom.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Not for nothing but that is my exit on the Garden State Parkway.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join