It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is how the UK handles domestic abuse that leads to brutal murder

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Ilford Recorder
Dailymail

A man beats his girlfriend continuously, she kicks him to the curb, but then graciously takes him back. He lies to Police after beating her nearly to death, leading to a grueling 24 hours of her fighting for her life where she eventually succumbed to her extensive injuries, and he gets a whopping 7 years in prison.

It's kinda funny.

Men in England can repeatedly beat a woman and then ultimately beat her to death and get a mere 7 years, yet in the US, men can get a longer prison sentence for domestic ASSAULT.
edit on 22-5-2015 by chuck258 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

a single incomplete annecdode does not illustrate the entire legal system of 2 countries

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Its similar in canada, these horror stories are everywhere.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

That is certainly a disproportionate judgement for the crime in my opinion.
We do have crap judges here as well.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I do not mean this as an excuse in his defense.

But I can understand why many men in England are unagreeable, pompous, angry and aggressive.

Have you ever tasted their food?

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

To think, I've heard of completely non-violent offenders, who were simply growing a plant getting as much time over there in the UK. Same thing happens in all western countries, not just the UK

The criminal justice system is a complete joke in every western country!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I take issue with your "Men in England can repeatedly beat a woman" line - domestic abuse isn't the sole preserve of Men on Women you know.

Also, he pleaded guilty for manslaughter and the prosecution accepted it (it seems clear he didn't actually intend to kill her, despite his obvious violence), which carries with it a maximum 14 years (for causing or allowing the death of a vulnerable adult (Section 5 of the Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004 ), so it would appear he has been given a reduced sentence for the plea and showing some remorse.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

There's nothing wrong with English food - in fact, prior to WW2 it was good, the "bad food myth" comes as a hangover of rationing, something you Yanks have no experience of - but I know this is simply an anti-British swipe as is customary for you.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I think my biggest problem personally is the sneaking suspicion that if the victim had taken measures to implement self-defense against her abuser, they would've sent her to jail for as long, possibly longer.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

I think the OP got his butt hurt in that thread "This is how the UK handles police brutality", I think that's why he made this thread.

The guy in the story got charged with manslaughter, which, as horrific as what he did was, is still far less sentencing wise than murder.

Murder = you meant to do it, manslaughter = accidental through violent means (i think)

There are plenty of people who are violent offenders, but not murderers spending life behind bars here, Charles Bronson being one of them.
edit on 22/5/15 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The UK prison service has a basic problem - they have run out of prison cells to put people. Prisons are now overflowing with prisoners. So the authorities have to reduce sentences by 50% for good behavior. Many times, a car driver will kill someone through negligent driving, and all they will get is a three year suspended sentence because it was their first offense, even if the driver was drunk, talking on cellphone and speeding at night.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

It make me wonder...whoever is running the show...may be invested in domestic violence themselves. Thus they show leniency to a violent person who beats people to death.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

No honestly it was a joke ( I guess I should've mentioned sensitivity also). It's amazing how people can American bash all day on this site. Somebody cracks one joke about English food and people get offended.

Believe it or not many of us Americans laugh at the American jokes it would be nice if you could return the favor.

To attest to the validity of the joke. If your response would've been pleasant this would've been my reply.

Sorry I refused to eat anything with that name.

edit on 22-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I get that it was a joke, it's just not very good plus one that is pretty old and tired. Add onto that all I've ever seen you do is make snarky remarks about the UK and you have the "sensitivity issue".

Here is a good example of British humour.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
There's a good reason I don't read the daily mail. An anecdotal story light on substance that is meant to illicit a certain type of response.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Yep I crack jokes. I've seen numerous English posters Cracking American jokes. (and laughed)

The one thing I keep forgetting about many of you is you can dish it out but can't take it.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I don't excuse the behaviour, but there can be no doubt that violent behaviour is very attractive or even an aphrodisiac to some. Imprisoned serial killers have groupies and get fan mail, mass murderers get deluged with marriage proposals, twitter feeds say how cute spree shooters are, and terrorists get Facebook campaigns for leniency, and people stick by partners that mistreat them. I don't condone it but you can't deny that it exists on a surprisingly large scale.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnIntellectualRedneck
I think my biggest problem personally is the sneaking suspicion that if the victim had taken measures to implement self-defense against her abuser, they would've sent her to jail for as long, possibly longer.

As someone who has been accused and acquitted, because the police could not be arsed to investigate correctly, or investigate at all in my case, i had to prove my innocence (luckily i was able to do this) and not, as in the UK normally, they have to prove your guilt. Without my evidence to PROVE my innocence, i would, most likely, be serving a prison sentence ........... thanks CPS.

Not everything is as it seems, how many people are locked up in error i often wonder.

ETA, never read the case in the OP, just blowing off as it still hurts, the stress and loss of property to pay legal costs, so many years down the line.

Deny Ignorance ....... cheers

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Not even remotely true, as I said it seems to be an MO of yours to swipe at the UK, but banter is something the UK does very well...

But hey, I apologise for not laughing at your joke and Spotted Dick is very nice, especially with custard or cream

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

Conversely, I was attacked by my partners ex in my own home in Feb and because there were no witnesses and despite me needing hospital treatment (he tried, repeatedly, to stamp on my head and was only because I knew some self-defence I wasn't in ICU) and his admittance that he was there, because he claimed "self defence" they couldn't do anything, so he got off scot free.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join