It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is how the UK handles domestic abuse that leads to brutal murder

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

As a Brit its part of our nature to look out for and give but to also recieve the "P", if you can't take it then you should probably not give it and with a PHD in urine extraction via jocular methods i'm sure i'd have half the US people reaching for the guns for what in the UK would be more of a "ooh that was a bit close to the bone but lol.lol.lol", British humour can easily cover everything including necro/incest/paedo and still be broadcast on uk tv when done right and probably its what keeps us a bit saner as we can let go of those darker things in a safe manner

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Yeah stereotypes are such a drag. Myself I'd look for humor in everything I do and everything I say. Because if not because of the state of the world today I would probably get up in the morning and cry all day.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
The UK prison service has a basic problem - they have run out of prison cells to put people. Prisons are now overflowing with prisoners. So the authorities have to reduce sentences by 50% for good behavior. Many times, a car driver will kill someone through negligent driving, and all they will get is a three year suspended sentence because it was their first offense, even if the driver was drunk, talking on cellphone and speeding at night.

I'm sure we will be seeing a number of new prisons being built from money invested by the Private sector. No doubt they will be paid handsomely for the service they provide and will be reimbursed the cost of the build within a short timeframe. They will also have access to lucrative contracts to deliver the running of the prisons and as we all know, there is no corruption within Government, so chillax dude, it's for the good of the economy.

edit on 22/5/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

Conversely, I was attacked by my partners ex in my own home in Feb and because there were no witnesses and despite me needing hospital treatment (he tried, repeatedly, to stamp on my head and was only because I knew some self-defence I wasn't in ICU) and his admittance that he was there, because he claimed "self defence" they couldn't do anything, so he got off scot free.

Stumason, i feel for you, honestly, but our justice system is broken along with many support groups. As a male, i have been subject to domestic violence, case in question (one of, referring to previous comment from me) was when i was assaulted 3 times prior to me walking away. Unfortunately she was angry and pissed, broke her leg, I rang for ambulance who would not turn up without a police presence, she did not ask to press charges, however, the police decided i broke her leg (thats where my evidence saved me as in CCTV), i say police .......... both attendees were PCSO's and had never attended a DV training course ...... loss of liberty for 20hrs, 1 year of stress awaiting Crown Court proceedings, 2 houses sold to pay my legal fees, on and on and on

Anyways, getting to the point, after my release from custody i saw in the following days paper a phone number in the national press (Sun lol) for help for victims of DV, perfect time to ring them right? right! ........... answer was, this line is for Women Only, open 24/7 ............. you will have to ring this number but is only available, office hours, mon to fri, to be fair, the girl on the line was entirely supportive but could not help other than give me the male support number.

DV does not affect only women, men can, and are, victims too. The support for men affected by DV is very poor currently

As a LOL side, CPS who were taking me to court were quoting some of the DV i had suffered at the hands of the wife (incidents that had been reported to the police) as my assaults against her ............. honestly, you couldn't make it up

Deny Ignorance ....... cheers

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Not even remotely true, as I said it seems to be an MO of yours to swipe at the UK, but banter is something the UK does very well...

But hey, I apologise for not laughing at your joke and Spotted Dick is very nice, especially with custard or cream

I'm glad you liked to joke. A lot of my responses are set ups for jokes. I just can't find a straightman anywhere on the site.

That is one of the reasons many of my post are misunderstood.
edit on 22-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: stumason

Sorry I refused to eat anything with that name.

Hey, Don't knock it till you've tried it.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

There's nothing wrong with English food - in fact, prior to WW2 it was good, the "bad food myth" comes as a hangover of rationing, something you Yanks have no experience of - but I know this is simply an anti-British swipe as is customary for you.

Well to be fair, I know of at least 10 different Aussies who turned vegetarian after living in the UK, because your meat is apparently putrid.

Just take it on the chin mate. Like those American blokes have to constantly do, when there country is being bagged out by the pomes, lol.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

There's nothing wrong with English food - in fact, prior to WW2 it was good, the "bad food myth" comes as a hangover of rationing, something you Yanks have no experience of - but I know this is simply an anti-British swipe as is customary for you.

Well to be fair, I know of at least 10 different Aussies who turned vegetarian after living in the UK, because your meat is apparently putrid.

Just take it on the chin mate. Like those American blokes have to constantly do, when there country is being bagged out by the pomes, lol.

I tell ya mate, our Venison is superb

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

And this from a nation that cooks shellfish on a BBQ......

Putrid? I'd take that with a pinch of salt, mate. Chances are they didn't like it because it wasn't incinerated on an open flame in the garden.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Not enough. Our punishments don't fit the crime. 7 years is not enough for a life. Looking at 14 years for class A's. a reply to: chuck258

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
Not enough. Our punishments don't fit the crime. 7 years is not enough for a life. Looking at 14 years for class A's. a reply to: chuck258

Again, i have served Jury Service 2 times .......... on both occasions, during deliberations, at least one member of the jury has said ..... i quote, "if it has come this far (Meaning Crown Court) they must be guilty". Owing to recent experience after my Jury Service, this statement is BS. You do not get a say at Magistrates, they commit to Crown based on CPS lecture, no say. Crown is no better, you get no say prior to committal to trial, best bet in Crown is to have your Barrister speak to CPS (as in my case) and show them (crown) they have no chance of winning.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail

He'll probably get that cut in half too on 'good behaviour'.
Our justice system sucks.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Never met an Aussie that actually does cook shrimp on the bbq. But why not, everything goes good on the barbie.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Can't argue with that - I did Corn on the Cob on a BBQ for the first time last week (although I did pre-cook it a little bit in some water) and it was bloody yummy....

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Water? cover with butter, tin foil it, barbie it .......... orgasm

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

I did two corn cobs in the oven earlier, salted butter, lovely.
If it is a charcoal bbq or a campfire then I'll give you that, different smoked taste n all, but the gas things folk are using these days, what's the point? No different to my oven in the kitchen, aside from at a bbq someone is making out they have made some major cooking effort to produce the same result as leaving something in the electric oven for 20 minutes.

*Edit*
Sorry, on topic, yeah there are some crap decisions made by UK judges of course.
If the victim in the OP was my sister I would want 15 years...and then a chance to bump into him on his release.
edit on 22.5.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

Thanks for the tip

a reply to: grainofsand

Anyone who uses gas is a heretic and should be burned at the stake - with coals!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

I think the OP got his butt hurt in that thread "This is how the UK handles police brutality", I think that's why he made this thread.

The guy in the story got charged with manslaughter, which, as horrific as what he did was, is still far less sentencing wise than murder.

Murder = you meant to do it, manslaughter = accidental through violent means (i think)

There are plenty of people who are violent offenders, but not murderers spending life behind bars here, Charles Bronson being one of them.

Leave Charles Bronson alone..it was the other guy, Mason!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

I did two corn cobs in the oven earlier, salted butter, lovely.
If it is a charcoal bbq or a campfire then I'll give you that, different smoked taste n all, but the gas things folk are using these days, what's the point? No different to my oven in the kitchen, aside from at a bbq someone is making out they have made some major cooking effort to produce the same result as leaving something in the electric oven for 20 minutes.

*Edit*
Sorry, on topic, yeah there are some crap decisions made by UK judges of course.
If the victim in the OP was my sister I would want 15 years...and then a chance to bump into him on his release.

one difference we don't use on our indoor cookers ................... soaked wood chips in relation to gas barbie and larva rocks ( the traditional charcoal has its own flavour, perhaps due to lighting chemicals ...... prolly why i prefer a cigarette lit by a match rather than gas)

On topic, benefit of the doubt due to experience, i must go read upon this, never have been a hangman due to the certainty rule

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Anyone who uses gas is a heretic and should be burned at the stake - with coals!
I agree, but clearly with the broken UK justice system it would only result in a caution, you know, how we all condone domestic violence and such like.
...the guy probably wouldn't have made it to court in the US in any case, shot dead refusing to comply after the first domestic assault I imagine.
Maybe that's the solution? I prefer suspects making it to court though, just a pity we cannot always rely on what the judge will decide as the sentence.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join