It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Sues College Because She Can’t Pass A Test

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

In the federal lawsuit filed earlier this month, Jennifer Burbella claims that Misericordia University violated federal disability laws by failing to provide her accommodations during the class and final exam.

Burbella suffers from anxiety and depression, according to the lawsuit.
She is seeking $75,000 in damages, but her attorney, Harry McGrath, says she wants to fulfill her nursing dreams as well.
“She would like the ability to take the course under the proper accommodations and to become a nurse,” he told BuzzFeed News.
www.buzzfeed.com...

Read more^.
She can't be my nurse sorry find life elsewhere, can't handle stress in a class rm can't be an ER

+7 more 
posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Ah.. more "bend over to accommodate ME" people. How is someone with anxiety and depression going to handle working in an ER exactly?

+9 more 
posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

how do you accomodate anxiety and depression ???

..... on a similar note, I hope she becomes a nurse, to see a mentaly retarded person make it that far would be inspiring.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

She is seeking $75,000 in damages,

For her anxiety?

Good luck with that. Unless she can prove she didn't have every opportunity afforded other students in the class, she's out on a limb.

Anxious people usually are.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Wait a moment, that means that if she wins her stupid law sue, she would be given the degree of nursing, then I wonder which hospital will be accommodating to her needs.

Hell who in the heck will want her to be their attending nurse in an emergency if she is suffering from anxiety and depression

I would not want somebody like her tending to me.

Is this story for real?

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
if a test stresses her out, what is she going to do when I come in with bullet holes because I offended someone else with a comment representing my personal beliefs?? I am not going to sit there and patiently bleed out while she tries to find her dope to rewire her brain chemistry so she does not feel sad
. ohh waaaaahhh hold my hand please, life is too hard so life needs to change to suit me.

Give me a break. pass a law, sue, gimmi gimmi gimmi. GTFO.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

In the federal lawsuit filed earlier this month, Jennifer Burbella claims that Misericordia University violated federal disability laws by failing to provide her accommodations during the class and final exam.

She is seeking $75,000 in damages, but her attorney, Harry McGrath, says she wants to fulfill her nursing dreams as well.
“She would like the ability to take the course under the proper accommodations and to become a nurse,” he told BuzzFeed News.
www.buzzfeed.com...

Read more^.
She can't be my nurse sorry find life elsewhere, can't handle stress in a class rm can't be an ER

If she is suffering from anxiety and depression in class taking exams, what the hades is she going to do in real life situations as a nurse. Unbelievable. If you get it wrong as a nurse you do not get to sue for a do over because you had an anxiety attack or became depressed in a real life issue. Is this for real as it seems as if it should be in a BS session somewhere.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DYepes

I tell you this days anybody can come out with the most outrageous stories of "lack of accommodation" to get money.

My daughter is an ER trauma nurse and she said that in cases of life and death situation you need a good brain in order to save a life within minutes

Can you imagine if that women wants to become a doctor "with accommodations", lord have mercy.

edit on 15-5-2015 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

According to the lawsuit, Burbella asked her professor, Cristina Tomkins, if she could change the terms of an accommodation that allowed her to take the test in a “distraction-free” environment.

Maybe she wants to be a trauma nurse.

Total B.S. deluxe

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I wake up in a hospital bed.
"Hey, nurse...why is this machine beeping?"
"Franks and beans."

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I am sure that she will get her degree as a nurse in a “distraction-free” environment, working in " a “distraction-free” environment hospital, with " a “distraction-free” environment patient

What that women needs is a “distraction-free” environment psychiatrist.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I cant imagine. I am mortified and worried for the unfortunate patients that may one day end up under her care. For crying out loud she only needed a 78% to pass. HOW the eff can you not make a C average grade after a second exam?? She needs to be tackling her own problems before anyone gives her a license to treat anyone else's.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Can I get a little clarification here?

So it seems that she had in the past requested a different more quiet area from other students taking the test, but when she took this test she wanted to be able to ask the teacher questions, but the teacher would have been with the other students or too far away... Am I reading that wrong?

It doesn't matter if we all think she shouldn't be a nurse because she's anxious, the real question is if the agreed upon exceptions were not met.

She's essentially a customer paying for a service.

I have a feeling that like most things if we consider the whole story things get a lot less black and white.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Even if she got her degree, she'd still have to pass her boards to be a licensed nurse. That's the real challenge... But yeah, can't wait to show this to my wife in the morning. She's a nurse of nearly a decade, now a nurse practitioner for the last two years.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

What bothers me the most is that the college where she is getting her degree have such low standards for nursing degrees, when my daughter when to nursing school she already had a 4 year degree (with honors), From UGA, she decided to get into nursing, no problem getting into it, but she said that by the second exam in the first semester half of the students were gone, by the end it wasn't even a third of the original class was left, because the college she attended have high standards, she also graduated with honors from nursing school and is a heck of a good ER trauma nurse now in Florida.

I guess standards set in some states are different.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Sadly that is not how things work, every student is treated the same, you either make it or move on to another profession more "accommodating to your needs". It will not be fair for the rest of the class to have somebody getting "special accommodations".

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I agree standards should also be set high in fields such as this. Peoples very LIVES are on the line in this environment. For someone that cannot even make a 78% after two attempts and one with accommodations, they should be encouraged to pursue a different field.

I am glad your daughter is part of our state's healthcare system. I was in a terrible crash in 011 which left me with a collapsed lung, fractured face bones, fractured right femur, meat torn out my leg blood and gore was everywhere. I thank the very courteous and professional staff that handled me even when I was not being cooperative initially. I want to know how this lady would have handled my case, without being able to ask the teacher or reach for the dope.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Thanks, I am glad you are doing fine now, after you terrible ordeal, my daughter worked for a local hospital as an ER nurse, then move to Panama City with a nice incentive and bonus to work in one of the local hospitals as a Trauma 2 ER nurse, most hospitals are trauma 2, as trauma 1 are relegated to big busy cities.

She loves it, but she also says that is very demanding and very stressful.

I imagine that the women if ever get to become a nurse will not last long in a demanding hospital environment.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I'm sure she has always been told how special she was....

There is a growing problem in society due to all the specialness.

If she becomes a trauma nurse there will be blood.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: howmuch4another

I remember a comedian telling the audience that in America is a new generation of kids that are growing been told how good they are, how special they are, how to think positive because they can be anything they want in life, but the sad thing is that they are very confident but dumb as crap. I blame the public failing educational system for that one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join