It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronauts Will Get Dumber on Their Way to Mars

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Neutrality
a reply to: Phage

What (if any) are the harms of a synthesized magnetic field (not sure we can even create that) around said ship. Similar to the Earth's natural shield? Is that even a remote possibility?

I envisioned a Spaceship built on that concept: An Iron core at the center or some other magnetized element which generates a magnetic field to power the ship. In my comcept, the ship uses special cones that takes in Space through the larger end and compresses it by forcing it through the smaller opening at the back of the cone and creating movement of the Spaceshihp. This was just my imagination and not based off scientific fact but I held it as a possibility for faster space travel than what we have currently. Your post reminded me of that.

You'd basically have a ship that works like a planet and be able to use the Sun's energy to move and power your systems on the craft. Sorry if I offended any scientists out there with my cardboard box science but it's fun to think about sometimes.
edit on 2-5-2015 by lostbook because: word add

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I've always envisioned mercury as that element instead of iron, it's a fascinating element!

ETA- You just described the alcubierre drive i believe

Alcubirre Drive

edit on 2-5-2015 by Neutrality because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Friction? From what?
Radiation may help kill bacteria but I'm not sure I would rely on it.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: gort51

Seeing we are already bombarded with magnetic radiation, cell phones, TVs, every electrical device, wiring etc, just living in the modern World is dangerous.....I know Im getting dumber every day, at least I think I am
You mean electromagnetic radiation (not really any such thing as magnetic radiation). Yes, we are bombarded by it on an ongoing basis. Both natural and manmade (the natural forms being dominant, sunlight for example). But that is not the kind of radiation which is of concern on long term space voyages. Cosmic rays are high energy particles, not the same thing and much more difficult to deal with. Between the Earth's magnetic field and its atmosphere, our world does a very good job of it though.

Just ride the Mag highway, with your Mag lev craft and a free ride with the correct polarity.
Sure, if you are a charged atomic particle. The magnetic fields which form those "highways" are very, very weak.

edit on 5/2/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
So Phage, could you provide your idea to make this feasible? You HAVE to have some sort of idea to make it work ^_^

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Neutrality

I think the most practical route will be found in materials science. I think a ceramic/plastic material will be the most effective way of accomplishing the task.

Of course, a way to shorten the duration of the journey would also be helpful. An effective constant thrust drive with a significant level of thrust, for example.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I thought you had to go to Jupiter to get stupider.
I didn't learn anything in elementary school.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Could we possibly achieve it with gravity assist between Earth and Moon, using traditional propellants to break Earth's gravitational pull, then inducing Ion propulsion as a constant propellant? That way we kind of stay in the safety of cosmic bombardment, and achieve the desired propulsion? Maybe? I'm a layman here

*Figure 8's around the Moon/Earth til desired speed then propulsion breakaway*
edit on 2-5-2015 by Neutrality because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
While you are making those "figure 8's" around the Earth and Moon you are exposing the crew to cosmic radiation. Outside the Van Allen belts you're in interplanetary space. It's no different than the traverse straight to Mars. Just wasting time, though maybe saving a bit of fuel. Maybe. I'm not sure, but I don't think you're going to get a lot of a gravity kick on that trajectory.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

I had discounted the Van-Allen belts since we know the weak points, but alas you are probably right, the distance between the moon and back a few times probably would expose us to that radiation. I kind of thought it would be minimal though, making for current shielding tech to be effective. Your thoughts on that?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Once you leave the protection of the magnetosphere (roughly defined by the Van Allen belts) you are, for all intents and purposes, in interplanetary space.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Hmphh, and I already know using earth orbit as a slingshot is ineffective. Back to square one of my thoughts I guess.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
No need to "defrost" it. Ice works just as well as liquid water. It just takes a pretty thick layer of it to be effective. To be thick enough would require a lot of it. A lot of it is heavy. In space flight, heavy is undesirable. (For "heavy" read massive.)

Among other things, plastics high in hydrogen content (as water is) are been looked at.

I'm a bit lost here Phage and forgive my ignorance. I thought (guess I'm flamin wrong here) heavy/massive in space made no difference due to wieghtlessness and no friction. Sure , the craft would have to leave orbit and enter orbit when it reaches mars.

So I figured that if the craft was constructed in Earths orbit, mit shields of the sort required then the propulsion, regardless of weight would be the same if you were to propel a bowling ball, lets say.

Am I wrong? If so please explain the science.

Kindest regards,

Bally.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001
You're confusing weight and mass.

In orbit objects are virtually weightless but they still have mass (that's why I added the bit about "massive"). In order to get that mass to move in a different direction or speed it takes force. The more mass, the more force.

Orbital speed is around 17,000 mph. In order to leave Earth's gravitational field from orbit you need to be moving at about 25,000 mph. To go from 17 to 25 thousand you need force. The more mass you are carrying, the more force you need to apply to do so.

Of course, you'll probably want to be going more than 25,000 mph on a trip to Mars, unless you aren't in any hurry at all. Which means applying more force.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Simple solution! Jupiter's gravity assist! (hope you detect the sarcasm, but ur Phage so I must point it out :p)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

The scenic route.
Sure, why not?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   

If we take the scenic route and skip europa...send me to alpha centauri asap!,

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Thanks Phage. Guess that clears that up for me.

Bally

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ok...then keep it simple, a strong eleelectromagnetic field...like that I hear stealth aircraft have

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

I like this part

There is even a suggestion that astronauts’ pee and poop be used to line the spacecraft (water is more effective than metals at protecting against space radiation).
qz.com...

A metal contraption # rocket .. barreling through outer space .. full of hairless monkeys

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join