It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronauts Will Get Dumber on Their Way to Mars

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Phase shift all incoming radiation (using the plasmonic nano antenna array that covers the hull) and redistribute in the Terraherz frequency.

Build propulsion system where you cycle mass density fluctuations around rest mass values and use to achieve an acceleration of 1G that takes you to Mars in 4 days.

....j/k: cant be done/use moar lead as suggested.

edit on 9-11-2015 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Have the watersupply on the outside...
Graphene/Polymer coated panels on
the outside and maybe 10-20cm water
tank, and then another Graph/Pol panel.
Water is used and reused from the same
tanks.... My thoughts....

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It´s a rather bad idea to use the one precious life source(water) in a shielding, where it can be lost after any physical impact, just wanted to throw this in. It does not even have to be a big impact..
What happens with small particles in the water (from shielding, calcium etc) when they get hit with a/b/g radiation and decay down the ladder? Exactly, they might become hot particles too!

You do not want to drink it, I suppose. But then, we could line the inner tanks with DuPonts teflon. Oh wait, the C8...

Do not want to image what happens when parts of the water in the shielding boil away, possibly damaging nearby structural parts and make it a big floating pressure cooker.

Also, wouldn´t the water start to freeze/boil at some point? You can´t add anti-freeze if you need to recylcle it to drinking water.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Thus the graphene polymer...
If it IS as good as they say...

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Miccey
Even then.
If your inner barrier is defect (the material that holds the water in place) from an outside force, be sure the same happens to the graphene. If the graphene has to stay intact, after such a hit, it would have to redirect the force somewhere. Since that would mean the mesh has to deform itself, transfering the motion energy of the impacting particle to the mesh and generate heat. The barrier will leak, even if it´s going to shrink into the exact same positions.
And if it doesn´t leak, it will pop like a baloon when the water starts to heat up, boils away, increasing pressure to the tiny point where the impact happened.

I would not rely on a coating to keep the precious water in place. Let alone the other factors like hot/cold zones.
Not to speak of the radicals generated by ionizing radiation and the following chemical reactions in your water/drinking source.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Mmm...
Well, if what ive read about graphene is true,
there wouldnt be much that could penetrate
a panel say 3-5mm thick... You might not need
the water as a shield for radiation anyway....

And whats up with being "defect"??
Its a frikkin spaceship, right... NOTHING
can be alowed to be wrong...
edit on 2015/11/10 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Miccey

And whats up with being "defect"?? Its a frikkin spaceship, right... NOTHING can be alowed to be wrong...

Just read my post again. You are right, NOTHING can be allowed to go wrong... So I say, let´s keep the precious water where it is and not jepardize it for lining the walls in use as a shielding.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Why, it would even save storage space INSIDE...
I agree its presious, alot so...But if ANYTHING
penetrates the outer sections, were pretty
screwed anyway...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join