It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin's Propaganda Machine.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Well the good folks at vice have brought us an interesting look into Putin's Propaganda Machine...

Enjoy.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Putin = Cult

Not surprised, we battle with this false propaganda every day. Everything our politicians say are twisted by Russian press and news...
It was much more relaxed prior Ukraine conflict.. Russia is now like totally different neighbor than it was.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
Putin = Cult

Not surprised, we battle with this false propaganda every day. Everything our politicians say are twisted by Russian press and news...
It was much more relaxed prior Ukraine conflict.. Russia is now like totally different neighbor than it was.

Yes we do battle false propaganda everyday. Every single time I turn on my TV in fact. Question that begs to be asked, is: Shouldn't we care more about the domestic propaganda machine over a foreign one? I mean, I'd suspect most people would expect a foreign nation to use propaganda on other nations to win favor. Exactly why at one time it was legal for the US to use propaganda on foreign nations but not its own citizens.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

There is always one outcome, when you preach nationalism and stifle the opposition.

Think about Serbia then remember Germany and Italy.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

originally posted by: dollukka
Putin = Cult

Yes we do battle false propaganda everyday. Every single time I turn on my TV in fact. Question that begs to be asked, is: Shouldn't we care more about the domestic propaganda machine over a foreign one? I mean, I'd suspect most people would expect a foreign nation to use propaganda on other nations to win favor. Exactly why at one time it was legal for the US to use propaganda on foreign nations but not its own citizens.

I was going to say the same thing.

As a western I do not feel responsible for what a Russian leader says. What I do care about is what MY elected leader is saying. We have been demanding that our leaders clean up their act and cut out the corruption and lies for 50 years and now they have the nerve to bottle up every grievance we have expressed to OUR leaders and called it 'Putin'.

...Then there are the brain dead fools that do not just fall for it but actually cheer it on. If they're so concerned about cleaning up corruption in Russia, why don't they move there?
edit on 30-4-2015 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
One thing I've noticed in western media is that you get to hear about the corruption and lies our government does. I'm still waiting to hear from Russian state controlled Media anything critical about the regime or their leader.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Western media clearly has its own biases. However to compare it to Russian media is a bit disingenuous. If Western "propaganda" were as effective as people on this site make it out to be why do both the President and Congress have approval ratings in the toilet? Why is there an entire generation that distrusts both the government and the media?

In comparison all major media outlets in Russia are owned and run by the state. Corruption in the West pales in comparison to that of Russia. Not to mention things like class inequality. And yet Putin's approval remains unwavering despite an economy that very nearly tanked.

That's the difference between bias and propaganda. With bias the media may lie to you but you still have a choice. With propaganda you will praise Dear Leader even when you struggle to put on the table.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Western media clearly has its own biases. However to compare it to Russian media is a bit disingenuous. If Western "propaganda" were as effective as people on this site make it out to be why do both the President and Congress have approval ratings in the toilet? Why is there an entire generation that distrusts both the government and the media?

Maybe because even ignorant people know when they're eating a # sandwich.

And you are splitting hairs, intentionally or otherwise. Half the crap that comes out of western news is complete bull# and the rest half truths. Even if foreign propaganda were 100% I still wouldn't see the difference.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Russian and Western/American propaganda cannot be easily compared.

American propaganda feeds on our dissenting nature, but survives through our complacency and plays opposing "sides" off of each other to ensure nothing really gets done or changes.

Russian propaganda is structured to recognize the Russian tendency to dissent and revolt, and uses that to focus' it towards issues or goals that benefits those in power.

One is not necessarily better than the other, but I will say that American propaganda and the masses of uneducated fools it creates provides a lot of fuel to be used by the Russian propaganda machine.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Western governments can have approval ratings in the toilet and the MSM will still be able to keep those who can afford it out shopping and all those that can't afford to feeling like losers and it is their own fault.

For you to try and trivialize western propaganda is disingenuous. There has never been anything like what we have here....ever.

Read this:

What makes the mainstream media mainstream

If you’ve read George Orwell’s Animal Farm  he wrote in the mid-1940s, it was a satire on the Soviet Union, a totalitarian state. It was a big hit. Everybody loved it. Turns out he wrote an introduction to Animal Farm which was suppressed. It only appeared 30 years later. Someone had found it in his papers. The introduction to Animal Farm was about "Literary Censorship in England" and what it says is that obviously this book is ridiculing the Soviet Union and its totalitarian structure. But he said England is not all that different. We don’t have the KGB on our neck, but the end result comes out pretty much the same. People who have independent ideas or who think the wrong kind of thoughts are cut out.

He talks a little, only two sentences, about the institutional structure. He asks, why does this happen? Well, one, because the press is owned by wealthy people who only want certain things to reach the public. The other thing he says is that when you go through the elite education system, when you go through the proper schools in Oxford, you learn that there are certain things it’s not proper to say and there are certain thoughts that are not proper to have. That is the socialization role of elite institutions and if you don’t adapt to that, you’re usually out. Those two sentences more or less tell the story.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

- In Ukraine one after another dies when he expresses a pro Russian view

- In our Western World radical Islamists are being followed by Secret Services and aren`t allowed to openly express themselves

- Neo-Nazi bands are also forbidden to play freely in Western Europe

- The US (and UK) have an internet army who do nothing else as to call anyone with a view which differs from that of the Western Governments, an anti-American, pro-Russian, conspiracy theorist, etc. in order to silence them

...and this is somehow any different ?

So Russians react the same way as Americans (9/11) when they are under attack, what a shocker !

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Western propaganda :

"The truth is propaganda and propaganda is the truth."

You only have to take the opposite of what our media is telling to know what the truth is.
edit on 30 4 2015 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I thought this thread was about Putin's propaganda? Go figure once again the topic of the thread is changed.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Ideally you should pick neither sides propaganda.
It is like picking your poison.

But if you have to then pick the one that allows everyone to have a say rather than the one that only one person gets a say.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

When the Vice report itself is Western propaganda, you can talk about both to balance things out.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Not if you are actually concerned about the TC's and required to follow them. The discussion was about Russian propaganda what you should be doing is defending Putin not obfuscating the topic by attacking western media. If you could prove the report wrong not a generally blanket attack against western media. You would still be on topic, to me the current line of discussion only confirms the allegations by the OP.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

When she ends with..."in turning facts into fiction and fiction into facts, President Putin has distorted reality."

She refers to these kinds of facts...?

French military intelligence rules out ‘Russian invasion plans’ for Ukraine

Let`s face it, the oppression in the US lead Ukraine is much worse atm...

If this isn’t fascism and a junta then what is it?

So it should be named as what it is, propaganda about propaganda.

edit on 30 4 2015 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Potato or potatoe ?

And yet in the report has Russian citizens openly talking about being silenced in their opinions by the state. ( no they're not all CIA plants or Zionist)
edit on 30-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

The Kremlin is aware of the desire of the neo-cons to have a maiden in Russia also, hence why restrictions have now become more severe...why do think they say it`s has become much worse lately?

The media restrictions in the Ukraine and Russia have a common cause, guess who?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

The reason that validates the OP's position on Russian propaganda. Is pretty self evident did you see the western media stifle opinion about the war on terror anywhere?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join