It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA May Have Accidentally Created a Warp Field

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

“Star Trek” introduced the world outside of rocket science circles to the concept of warp drive – the propulsion system that allowed the starship Enterprise to travel faster than the speed of light. Warp speed is the holy grail that would let us explore the universe safely surrounded and protected by a space-distorting warp field. After watching the SpaceX rocket recently just try to land on a platform, you’d think this ability is years if not decades away. Yet the buzz on space websites is that NASA may have accidentally discovered a way to create a warp field. Wait, what?
To get around the theory of relativity, physicist Miguel Alcubierre came up with the concept of a bubble of spacetime which travels faster than the speed of light while the ship inside of it is stationary. The bubble contracts spacetime in front of the ship and expands it behind it. The warp drive would look like a football inside a flat ring. The tremendous amount of energy it would need made this idea prohibitive until Harold “Sonny” White of NASA’s Johnson Space Center calculated that making the ring into a donut shape would significant reduce the energy needs.

Link

edit on 24-4-2015 by PandaLord because: link incorrect.

Please read helpful info about posting quotes from other sources.

Please instead of posting just an article, add some of your thoughts about it and what you wish to discuss about it. Thanks
edit on 4/24/2015 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: PandaLord

It is known that although light may not travel faster than light, the phase group velocity of a group of photons can give the appearance of moving FTL.

Maybe this is what they actually measured through the EmDrive resonnance chamber?

Nice find (and S&F for the find! ) I just want to proceed with elimination before jumping on the warp bubble explanation of the strange measurement.

BTW link not working even the second time around. I believe the site itself is down. What about this source? Is it close enough to the one in your op?

edit on 24-4-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
yes that source is good.

Warning this is a lot of science stuff i dont understand, but this is the thread where NASA is discussing their findings.

Link

edit on 24-4-2015 by PandaLord because: spelling

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

As Mr. Spock would say, with one eye brow raised, "Fascinating."

Some one posted a threat the other day asking if
anything would ever happen that changes our
reality in a fundamental way... this could be it.

But I dare not believe.... least I be disappointed.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
If they have then I doubt they just achieved it recently! More like a while ago and this is a planned leak about something that was probably achieved 10 years ago.
I believe that some of the UFO's seen are of our advanced craft that probably have warp drive capability already amongst other things.

First we see the concepts in the movies and then always later they a realised in reality!

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Anti Gravity and Warp are two different concepts no? one uses gravity to propel a craft where the other warps space as the object stays stationary.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: PandaLord
Anti Gravity and Warp are two different concepts no?

Indeed they are.

one uses gravity to propel a craft where the other warps space as the object stays stationary.

Actually anti-gravity was never observed to exist, period. But yes, you are essentially right about the warp part.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

All of this busywork discussing and supposedly studying ways to travel fast are so elememtarily stupid that I about cry every time I read such an account. Seriously. Deny UFOs (these days both theirs and ours) as government and industry does, and you can carry on and on with this drivel. You get the picture? It is all for show and/or done by the unassuming thinking that they are on the cutting edge.

Anyone that has witnessed an active UFO defying gravity and most importantly, mass as long ago as half a century, knows quite well that you don't need some impossibly complex method to travel fast.

The UFOs have demonstrated since day one of their efforts to make themselves known in 1947 (if not earlier) that they contain in those rather compact devices a use of physics that cancels their mass and allows what we consider impossible feats of movement. --They don't fly! They do not use air for lift or to enable propulsion. They produce a very localized, mass-cancelling field around themselves and can move in any direction with scarcely a push. Probably their locomotion is acquired as an aspect of the craft by a mere warping of their encompassing field.

The sooner the public starts demanding this technology to be unleashed commercially, the quicker we can learn the true facts of why no shuttle replacement, possible Moon military bases and even perhaps even on-going manned expeditions to Mars. So it is not just about the US government having the technology of the UFOs in the black triangles as military weapons, but it about a very large chunk of our destiny and supposed existence in a free and democratic country.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Maybe this is why NASA is pushing Mars instead of worrying about returning to our moon. They might think they have a way to get there PDQ.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I don't understand how anti-gravity is different from warp. To me, they appear to be one and the same.

UFO's travel at impossible speeds, defying gravity. Is that not an argument for anti-gravity?

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
How have we jumped to UFOs being real on the science forum?

Didn't scientists in Europe fire a laser through the alps thinking they beat the speed of light but then discovered it was an error in the calculations.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Oh well that is a good Op OPer. Love this scify stuff.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Why NOT here? If not in the Scientific forms then where do you suggest other than skunkworks? The religious spiritual forums?

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasaka
a reply to: swanne

As Mr. Spock would say, with one eye brow raised, "Fascinating."

Some one posted a threat the other day asking if
anything would ever happen that changes our
reality in a fundamental way... this could be it.

But I dare not believe.... least I be disappointed.

One day. But first...
...Drones.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Well, we have to "invent" the technology ourselves in the civilian world, as dumping this on us would look really bad for the secret space program(s) that are hiding it.

So, little bits of information, hints, tips and whatnot are dropped on scientists so that we in the civilian world can play catch up.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
We can soon achieve the stars,new planets and their resources.Or we can let geopolitical conflicts engulf us all.We'll have to decide which sooner or later.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
I don't understand how anti-gravity is different from warp. To me, they appear to be one and the same.

UFO's travel at impossible speeds, defying gravity. Is that not an argument for anti-gravity?

I think the appearance of "anti-gravity" should be achievable through a similar compression/expansion of spacetime. When I get my home Alcubierre kit, I'm going to try it out.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

in theory it isn't warped space is gravitically effected space. but in practice there are normally different applications.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
(Looking at the OP: No wonder Dr White Recently told Mr March to be more careful when discussing the interferometry experiments in public forums.) The results they got while both positive and suggestive that warp is real are not yet at a sigma that can be published in peer review. Dr White mentioned that popular media articles are overstating the state of the research.

as to FTL lasers; no they both traveled at the same speed in thier respective frames of reference. its justthat one had to travel a slightly different distance due to the warp space region in it's path. only broadly could you say there was a FTL effect. there was no local FTL. Globally; maybe. but at a sigma that means more and better experiments must be done.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrikeyMagnet

I think the appearance of "anti-gravity" should be achievable through a similar compression/expansion of spacetime. When I get my home Alcubierre kit, I'm going to try it out.
Gravity manifests in space as a warping of space time. any gravity drive is (broadly speaking) a warp drive.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join