It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The shocking (and stomach-churning) secret inside EVERY fig

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

That's pretty fascinating! I had no idea. S&F. Now I'm a little grossed out, but it's nature in action. I know how cheese is made, hot dogs too, but those things don't gross me out. Weird that.

I'll still eat fig newtons though. Love those.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Thanks ChiefD, i love a fig newton as well

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
And I seem to remember reading somewhere that shrimp, crab, and lobster are really insects, started out as insects on land millions of years ago, then went to the sea and became very yummy sea insects.

I'm craving crab right now, insect or not.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I have not read this thread at all, I'm afraid if I do I will be disgusted out of eating a fig newton, which I love. But in all honesty, after only reading the title of the thread, I'm quite curious. I'm torn if I should read it or not. Whether my love of fig newtons outweigh my curiosity about this topic is yet to be determined.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: C84K2

Read away!

BLUF [Bottom line up front]: Not all figs require the wasps, but all figs are receptive to wasps. It is really quite captivating.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
But... Those wasps don't exist in my country, yet we still have figs growing here.

I'm confused.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TRiPWiRE
But... Those wasps don't exist in my country, yet we still have figs growing here.

I'm confused.

Some figs don't need them. But there are a LOT of fig wasp species. Anywhere you have a producing fig, it's immensely likely you have the wasp for that fig species.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

More protein.. Should be happy it came with a wasp.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

I have always loved figs, we had many fig tree's around when I was a kid but for some reason (even though I loved them) I always had a odd instinctive feeling of caution when I ate one, now I know why! I HATE WASP!!!
Never again!
edit on 16-4-2015 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Staroth

I have always loved figs, we had many fig tree's around when I was a kid but for some reason (even though I loved them) I always had a odd instinctive feeling of caution when I ate one, now I know why! I HATE WASP!!!
Never again!

It isn't a paper wasp. Looks like a small sweat bee.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Thanks for ruining one of my favourite biscuits

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
And I seem to remember reading somewhere that shrimp, crab, and lobster are really insects, started out as insects on land millions of years ago, then went to the sea and became very yummy sea insects.

I'm craving crab right now, insect or not.

Yes they are insects. Lobsters are giant head lice and crabs are well... Crabs.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I wonder if the claimed anti-cancer properties are from the wasp venom ?

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Should add. These wasps are very small.....Not the kind that sting you . So yes it could be digested very quickly.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
i think i might have had one or two figs in my life but this still made me throw up a little thinking about it

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder
i think i might have had one or two figs in my life but this still made me throw up a little thinking about it

Start looking at your red tinted foods. Anything with carmine or cochineal is colored with bug shells.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TRiPWiRE

Apparently there are 900 species of wasps that can pollinate figs. But even if you dont have any of them there are a few varieties of figs that can grow without the wasps. Its just they will not be as nice as the pollinated ones.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder

Start looking at your red tinted foods. Anything with carmine or cochineal is colored with bug shells.

yeah most candy contains some really strange animal and insect parts. lol

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Truth is a good thing so ask a fig grower or a botanist and you know Deny .......

The self pollinating tree does not even release the chemicals that calls the wasp to it only the trees that need the wasp does that.

As another poster told you some places the figs are raised do not even have wasps.

They produce sweet fig fruits without the need for male trees that carry symbiotic fig wasps within their syconia. This is very advantageous to farmers in regions where the wild caprifigs and natural pollinator wasps do not occur.

A common concern among humans is whether we eat fig wasps when we consume figs. The short answer is yes for dried figs and usually no for fresh figs.
www.figweb.org...
askabiologist.asu.edu...

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Thanks for the video. My Sicilian dad grows figs in MA (difficult climate to grow them in). And his fig trees are coveted by everyone who sees them. I'm pretty sure I've seen these exact little buggers on his figs. I know when I confront him with this information he will pretend I'm crazy but I am sure he knows as he was a farmer who went to agricultural school in Sicily. Now I don't know if I can ever bring myself to eat them again. Rationally, I think it is no big deal but I doubt I will want any this year.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join