It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers find complex organic molecules near young star

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Just while we are talking about possible abiogenesis and evolution, scientist made an astonishing disovery...

A team of scientists has found, for the first time, complex organic molecules, the building blocks of life, in a protoplanetary disc surrounding a young star, reinforcing the theory of life beyond the Solar System.

In an article published Thursday in the journal Nature, the team said it detected "large amounts of methyl cyanide (CH3CN)" in "the protoplanetary disc surrounding the young star MWC 480."

The discovery is key, according to the experts participating in the research project, since that molecule contains links between carbon and nitrogen atoms.

These chemical links "are essential" to the formation of amino acids which, in turn, are basic components of proteins and therefore "are essential for building life."

Source: latino.foxnews.com...

In other words, elements that are needed for life are found elsewhere in universe, what is not news itself, as we already knew that, but what is new, that they are found in vicinity of young star.

It makes you wonder what kind of life organism could produce in this kind of environment...

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

It makes you wonder what kind of life organism could produce in this kind of environment...

So if no life is found with all the "ingredients" are there as they say, will people finally agree that we have an actual creator?

Sorry, but I wanted to throw that argument back into everyone who said it vice versa to me about God....But I would like to know...If everything is there and no life is found, does that prove God?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

No. God is not necessary to explain anything, and is irrelevant in this discussion.
This is called an argument from ignorance, and Neil D. Tyson puts it very well when he says that If you don't know something, that's where your speculation stops. You don't go on to then say "well it must be god" unless you're big on fallacious logic..
edit on 9/4/15 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I find it amazing that they can find molecules light years away from earth but cant find a lost jumbo jet on earth .

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Spectral analysis of a giant beacon of light =\= scanning the depths of the ocean for something that may or may not be present.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

I find it amazing that they can find molecules light years away from earth but cant find a lost jumbo jet on earth .

Yeah, that's why it seems like they know they just don't tell us what happened! IMO

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpongeBeard

No. God is not necessary to explain anything, and is irrelevant in this discussion.
This is called an argument from ignorance, and Neil D. Tyson puts it very well when he says that If you don't know something, that's where your speculation stops. You don't go on to then say "well it must be god" unless you're big on fallacious logic..

Yeah, argument from ignorance....Why's that? Because I am asking about believing in God? Oh and by the way, I do know...We were created by God, so no speculation there...My speculation was would people who don't believe in God take it into consideration if no life was found on this planet while all the life making ingredients are found there?

So put your ignorant hat back on and answer instead of being a dick next time!

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Ah, I've got it. You're one of those religious people.
Not worth my time, moving on.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpongeBeard

Ah, I've got it. You're one of those religious people.
Not worth my time, moving on.

Of course not! I knew you wouldn't because you are THAT type of non-religious person!!

The one who wouldn't admit that God created us if all the ingredients for life are there and there is no life....If none is found...It is you that is that person, so next time just look in the mirror when passing judgement!

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

So if no life is found with all the "ingredients" are there as they say, will people finally agree that we have an actual creator?

Sorry, but I wanted to throw that argument back into everyone who said it vice versa to me about God....But I would like to know...If everything is there and no life is found, does that prove God?

Why does it have to be an either/or situation? Just because one scientific idea is shown to be wrong doesn't mean that God is the only remaining viable answer. Just stay in your lane and look for evidence of your god. That is all that matters when proving your hypothesis.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Lol you know!? Spongebeard is right, there's nothing to discuss with you, but ill try..

To me, it seems obvious that the universe is tuned to produce life. Not by a god, but by itself somehow. With an infinite amount of time available, life almost seems inevitable, just like every other thing that could possibly happen will probably happen.
No god. But a super intelligence or collection of intelligence sure, but it too was created by this wonder of a universe. Remember, something has to create god too. For something to become conscious, It seems like a lot of building blocks come first. This universe is creating those blocks in a natural way, seemingly following a set of rules that once understood, will seem like the only logical and possible way things could be. The question of why there is something and not nothing will be understood without the need for god.

To OP, i think i read once they found complex molecules in one of those gorgeous nebulas we see pics of all the time.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
So some alien spacecraft flew by and dumped its crapper and you are all convinced it will suddenly be spontaneously alive?

Sorry. Couldn't help it.

Really, just because they found complex organic molecules does not mean they found life or even that life will spontaneously erupt.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

ACTUALLY. I know you were joking, but if scientists really did discover that, it would still be a huge discovery. For one, it would more definitively prove that life exists outside our planet as opposed to what they found in the OP. And for two, you can learn a lot about a species from its poo.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Interesting that it's close to a young star.

This probably suggests that the process of a new star developing is the actual source of all of the needed building blocks of life to form as it spews these elements out, and thus a solar system in the making - resulting in one or more planets developing compound life forms in the 'goldilocks zone'.

We could very well have a perfect example of abiogenesis with the makings of evolution right before our eyes... without having to travel back in time on our own planet to witness the same thing when our solar system was still a newborn.

It's too bad we can't fast forward what we're seeing and watch it all unfold over the millenia, like time lapse photography.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yes, I know on both counts. Was watching the Jurassic Park dino poo scene at the time.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

We could if we could find more star systems further along in the life development process. One of the cool things about astronomy, is that everything you are looking at has already happened in the distant past. It just depends on how far away the object you are looking at is. This is why it is believed that quasars play a huge role in creation of young galaxies since all the ones we know about are extremely far away from us. This is also how we developed the life stages of stars.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yes, I know on both counts. Was watching the Jurassic Park dino poo scene at the time.

Lol I was thinking about that scene when I wrote that reply.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

We could if we could find more star systems further along in the life development process.

I was just thinking that exact thing as I hit the post button.

This could be all the more reason to take a closer look at the varying ages of stars and the varying stages of compound life forms (if any) on the surrounding planets (if any) that may coincide with its parent star.

Fascinating stuff !

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
And all of the Methyl Cyanide could collect into a gas giant like Jupiter or Saturn.

Gas giants are the most abundant planet types we have found.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
^Or it could crash into a rocky earth like planet. What's your point?

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
Yeah, argument from ignorance....Why's that? Because I am asking about believing in God? Oh and by the way, I do know...We were created by God, so no speculation there...My speculation was would people who don't believe in God take it into consideration if no life was found on this planet while all the life making ingredients are found there?

So put your ignorant hat back on and answer instead of being a dick next time!

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but your position requires faith, so you do not actually know the truth. In the same light, I do not know either, along with the rest of the world. This seems like thread jacking to me. The thread is about a recent scientific discovery. It mentioned nothing at all about god, yet in your very first post you bring god into it. The only way to suggest there is a creator, would be evidence of this creator, not if abiogenesis ends up being wrong. You are fishin' in the wrong pond, I'm afraid.
edit on 9-4-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join