It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers find complex organic molecules near young star

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
That has to be some major dump for our primitive instruments to detect it from this distance...
Interesting that we all had the same movie in mind when posting about this. That scene itself tells a lot about Spielberg and his and his crew ingenuousness... all those little details make classic movie.

a reply to: Chrisfishenstein
o boy... don't know where to start...
Nobody told you you could not believe in 'your' God or Santa Claus or even Tooth Fairy... or in my favorite God, Atum, the creator, who self created himself, and then created all stars in universe, but there is a reason you (and many others) don't know about process in witch he created them... Ask my friend Google, you might get lucky and learn something new today.

This has nothing to do with God existence, it is just example how science works. As I said in opening post, we already knew that complex organic molecules, the building blocks of life exist around older star systems few years ago, this just points to possibility that life might start much earlier then expected, in time and process of star creation.
Of course, not intelligent life, but primitive bacterias or single cell organisms.
So no big deal for you, just keep believe in what you want, leave us with our little discoveries...

originally posted by: CranialSponge
It's too bad we can't fast forward what we're seeing and watch it all unfold over the millenia, like time lapse photography.

Long time ago, as kid I read Hubbard's Battlefield Earth. At the time I had no idea who Hubbard was, but one of ideas in his book made me think. If it would be possible to teleport an object and then teleport it back... just imagine possibilities... move advanced telescope 20K LY from earth and watch Mammoths in all their glory... or move further away and see dinosaurs, find how they got extinct... information still is still flying away from us... That was my childhood wish...
and you can tell I grow up with lots of Sci-Fi literature.

Back to topic, discovery can have big impact if Abiogenesis is proven correct...
edit on 9-4-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

Nice find and with some profound implications. I would be curious to know what generation star system it was to correlate what the impact of a 1st gen system vs. a 3rd or 4th gen system like the one we currently inhabit would be in regards to the types of elements and compounds are being formed by the new star and its subsequent proto planetary disc. Either way, this is definitely worth keeping an eye on to see what other developments pop up.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
And all of the Methyl Cyanide could collect into a gas giant like Jupiter or Saturn.

Gas giants are the most abundant planet types we have found.

except that this isn't going to be the case. I know learning would ruin the god obsession and all but in this case it's rather worthwhile. A little light reading and I learned that all of these organics are being found at approx. 30-100 AU or in comparison to our own solar system, it would be this systems version of the Kuiper Belt. In other words, the analogue would be that these organic molecules will become a part of comets which would give a potential viability to hypothesis like panspermia. In other words, if these organics become a part of a cometery system which then bombards new planets as happened in the early history of our own system, they would then be delivering the basic building blocks of life. Add that to new research showing that molecular polymer fragments can bond and form long chains of DNA like structures and you've got yourself all the ingredients necessary for life under the proper circumstances.

material surrounding MWC 480 is awash in the building blocks of life. Öberg and her team found cyanides throughout the disk, in locations ranging from 30 to 100 times the distance of Earth from the sun. Scaling the massive system down, the region is comparable to the solar system's Kuiper Belt, the region beyond Pluto where cold planetesimals and icy comets reside.

By studying asteroids and comets, Öberg and her team determined that the disk surrounding MWC 480 contains more organic cyanides than currently observed in the comets of Earth's solar system. The presence of these complex organics suggests that the building blocks for life may exist in planetary systems throughout the universe.

www.space.com...
edit on 10-4-2015 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I don't think spectrometry will be much help in locating whatever is left of MH370. Any more than a massive grid search of the oceans by air and sea will be any use in helping us find organic molecules in stellar accretion disks.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

It makes you wonder what kind of life organism could produce in this kind of environment...

So if no life is found with all the "ingredients" are there as they say, will people finally agree that we have an actual creator?

Sorry, but I wanted to throw that argument back into everyone who said it vice versa to me about God....But I would like to know...If everything is there and no life is found, does that prove God?

Why does it have to be an either/or situation? Just because one scientific idea is shown to be wrong doesn't mean that God is the only remaining viable answer. Just stay in your lane and look for evidence of your god. That is all that matters when proving your hypothesis.

Buddy, you know me by now! I don't need proof....My questions is for the non-believers, hence you and others on here...It was a simple question, not needing a scientific reply...Yes would do....

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

o boy... don't know where to start...
Nobody told you you could not believe in 'your' God or Santa Claus or even Tooth Fairy... or in my favorite God, Atum, the creator, who self created himself, and then created all stars in universe, but there is a reason you (and many others) don't know about process in witch he created them... Ask my friend Google, you might get lucky and learn something new today.
This has nothing to do with God existence, it is just example how science works. As I said in opening post, we already knew that complex organic molecules, the building blocks of life exist around older star systems few years ago, this just points to possibility that life might start much earlier then expected, in time and process of star creation.
Of course, not intelligent life, but primitive bacterias or single cell organisms.
So no big deal for you, just keep believe in what you want, leave us with our little discoveries...

There it is again....Go ahead and bash my beliefs, it doesn't bother me! Unfortunately you will have to find out the hard way, but that is fine by me....It is you, not me who will have to answer! I asked a simple question and yet I continue to get bashed for my beliefs when I asked a simple question....This is why nobody can have a civil religious discussion here or in other areas of life!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs
^Or it could crash into a rocky earth like planet. What's your point?

Yeah, argument from ignorance....Why's that? Because I am asking about believing in God? Oh and by the way, I do know...We were created by God, so no speculation there...My speculation was would people who don't believe in God take it into consideration if no life was found on this planet while all the life making ingredients are found there?

So put your ignorant hat back on and answer instead of being a dick next time!

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but your position requires faith, so you do not actually know the truth. In the same light, I do not know either, along with the rest of the world. This seems like thread jacking to me. The thread is about a recent scientific discovery. It mentioned nothing at all about god, yet in your very first post you bring god into it. The only way to suggest there is a creator, would be evidence of this creator, not if abiogenesis ends up being wrong. You are fishin' in the wrong pond, I'm afraid.

I understand what you are saying, yet I don't understand the need to answer me if you don't want to? I did not author this thread, only asked a simple question...Not to have "thread jacking" or off topic or whatever else you may claim...I asked a simple yes or yes question and everyone wants to bash my beliefs and answer me in some scientific response! It was a simple yes or no question, if you don't want to answer please don't...Like I said, it isn't my thread nor did I want anything to go off topic...You guys in your scientific explanations to a simple yes or no question is what happened here...

Sorry for asking yes or no....I should have known when I bring up God on ATS, all I get is bashed for even mentioning our creator!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

There it is again....Go ahead and bash my beliefs, it doesn't bother me! Unfortunately you will have to find out the hard way, but that is fine by me....It is you, not me who will have to answer! I asked a simple question and yet I continue to get bashed for my beliefs when I asked a simple question....This is why nobody can have a civil religious discussion here or in other areas of life!

Oh, sorry, you here really just trying to get a question and no one cared to answer you, even we all tried?!

First of all, I don't bash your belief, just tell you that really does not bother me that you have one. It's your personal, and as you can see from my signature, boredom of promised heaven is not for all of us...

Now, allow me to answer your question, first, let's look at your question:

So if no life is found with all the "ingredients" are there as they say, will people finally agree that we have an actual creator?

No, people will not agree that there is an 'actual' creator. Our instruments, even as advanced as they are are far from perfect to discover life out there. For comparison, one scientist shows how hard is to find a planet orbiting star and compares it to city block as one in New York and all lights, and difference in someone moving windows curtain down for 2 inches!! * source: look at this post on another thread.

We are getting there, but as you can see, it takes time and lots of resources and work to get us where we are today, and its amazing what future brings us.

If we can't find something yet, in this case origin of life, we don't simply just attributed it to what you accept as origin story based on your religious book, because there are many religions out there, and none of the stories in them could be proved to be even close to what we see when we research our past. (that is why I mentioned another creation theory that many are not aware off, wonder if you bothered to research it?)

Sorry, but I wanted to throw that argument back into everyone who said it vice versa to me about God....But I would like to know...If everything is there and no life is found, does that prove God?

We just started search, and all indicated that there will be life found elsewhere and research like this points that life might not be rare after all.

So sorry to disappoint, but we don't place 'God did it' when we don't have answer yet. We just continue researching.

Hope this better answers your post and you don't feel your religion is 'bashed' because this discovery as many others goes against what is provided to you in scriptures. Belief system requires you to blindly believe, and some of us just can't do that.

Peace?

edit on 10-4-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It makes you wonder what kind of life organism could produce in this kind of environment...

Why does it have to be an either/or situation? Just because one scientific idea is shown to be wrong doesn't mean that God is the only remaining viable answer. Just stay in your lane and look for evidence of your god. That is all that matters when proving your hypothesis.

Buddy, you know me by now! I don't need proof....My questions is for the non-believers, hence you and others on here...It was a simple question, not needing a scientific reply...Yes would do....

You're in a thread about science. Science replies are par the course.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

.If everything is there and no life is found, does that prove God?

No, because it may take more time, or there may be a missing factor that we don't know about required for life to start. Your question is strange, as we find more and more evidence that life can exist elsewhere and without a god required you should be less convinced of you belief, not more defensive of it.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I don't agree with the bashing, but bringing up god in this thread IS off topic. This discovery doesn't have anything to do with a god or creator, nor was it meant to suggest there is no god. Science deals with POSITIVE evidence, you can't prove a negative.

This is the question you asked, and I was under the impression that I did indeed answer it. A creator has nothing to do with life being found with all the ingredients. So even if no life is found with all the ingredients it bares no relevance on god existing or not existing. I thought I made that point clear. The answer to your question was no because the 2 things are not necessarily related. Objective evidence of a god or creator would probably be the only way to convince most non believers, not lack of evidence for something else. Abiogenesis / Panspermia could be completely wrong... but that wouldn't prove god, it could simply mean the answer lies elsewhere.
edit on 10-4-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

We just started search, and all indicated that there will be life found elsewhere and research like this points that life might not be rare after all.

What if it turns out that life isn't found...What if life isn't elsewhere? What if we continue to find ingredients of life yet no life is out there? I already know the answer, so don't bother....I will go away now! So many with their eyes open to science that hasn't proven a thing, yet you doubt my beliefs with more evidence! My belief at least has witnesses who wrote about it! You keep on waiting for that day to come for science to answer your doubts, the day will soon come for all that you will find out what I knew all along...

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

.If everything is there and no life is found, does that prove God?

No, because it may take more time, or there may be a missing factor that we don't know about required for life to start. Your question is strange, as we find more and more evidence that life can exist elsewhere and without a god required you should be less convinced of you belief, not more defensive of it.

Where is all this life? You apparently found all the building blocks, yet nothing? Seems like science is the letdown, not God...But I will go away now, I am tired of continually being bashed! God is very relevant in a topic such as this! The building blocks of life are found, and nobody finds themselves asking the right questions to themselves....Or shall I say, nobody wants to admit to themselves this answers a lot of questions when no life is found here! But I will go before I get bashed yet again.....

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

You can ask what ifs until the cows come home. It doesn't get us closer to an answer. Science does, whether you THINK you know the answer or not. Not knowing everything isn't a shortcoming of science. If we knew everything we wouldn't need to use science in the first place.

Me thinks you should make your own thread about god, rather than trying to force god into this one. Science is a tool to discover facts. You may not like it, but it works and has proven itself time and time again. Need proof? Look at the device you use to communicate with me. It is a product of science, just like all of the technology we use to make our lives better. Stop attacking science because you have faith in a creator. They aren't mutually exclusive by a long shot and science could one day discover god. If that happens I very highly doubt that you people will be attacking it, you'll suddenly say it is legit without even understanding it, just like the inverse now.
edit on 10-4-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I dunno....i would think if you took a couple trillion trillion of these:

and put them floating in orbit for a few million years, you would find a lot of them filled with the plastic pieces that go in the holes.

Atoms....kind of the same way. They like to join up in certain ways, kind of like that star shape likes to go in the star shaped hole on the toy. Its just what they do....they join up in certain ways.

Is it a creator that made this happen? Or a result of the physics of the universe? Did a creator make the physics work the way it does on purpose?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   

What if it turns out that life isn't found...What if life isn't elsewhere? What if we continue to find ingredients of life yet no life is out there?

Then we will conclude that life is more rare in the universe than we had expected, or believed it to be.

No conclusions about the existence of a creator can be drawn from this, however.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   

What if it turns out that life isn't found...What if life isn't elsewhere? What if we continue to find ingredients of life yet no life is out there?

Even this has been already answered, you ask the same question. I already told you, it will take very long time to search all stars, planets in universe... I have a feeling you don't really grasp how big is this universe...

This video covers how I feel about universe and our place in it...

originally posted by: ChrisfishensteinI already know the answer, so don't bother....I will go away now!

You think you know... and again you will go away?? Why do you play victim on this thread??

originally posted by: ChrisfishensteinSo many with their eyes open to science that hasn't proven a thing, yet you doubt my beliefs with more evidence!

Again, you play victim?! It is not my intention to doubt your belief with more evidence, but it is interesting that you recognize evidence, even you don't recognize that the same science 'that has not proven a thing' allows you to connect to people world wide, to read and watch movies, to listen to music where you want and when you want... even to listen to prayer at any time... But as I have said, at least you recognize that science has 'evidence'. That is move in right direction...

originally posted by: ChrisfishensteinMy belief at least has witnesses who wrote about it! You keep on waiting for that day to come for science to answer your doubts, the day will soon come for all that you will find out what I knew all along...

Who was witness of creation??
Do you know that most of fairy stories you believe were written well after 'suposed' events has happened?? Do you know that those who wrote about them were not as you claim witnesses, but are talking on second or third hand accounts?? Did you ever play telephone game in school? What happens between first and last person in a line when they tell the same story??? Ask your self... don't play victim.
edit on 13-4-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

You simply pisss me off bro. Illogical or just a bit of stupid smothered in faith wrapped in bacon. Wouldn't eat it, so I'm not going to ever take another bite out of one of your posts. Simple, and others should do the same and Ignore your Ignorance.
Read something other than the bible and ats once in awhile.

Peace, FlowinButta

top topics

<< 1   >>

join