It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Studies Say Genes Cause Rapists, Shortness and Heart Disease

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: snogblund

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I was agreeing with you.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Just like I said.

: )

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: soficrow

The most damaging effects of environmental contamination are indeed hereditary, but they are NOT genetic mutations.

Oh, okay. Now I see what you meant. You mean adaptation in that regard.

The good news is, if we clean up the environment, our species is not stuck with permanent genetic mutations in the human gene pool. Which is why I said, "…(epigenetic effects) can be "tweaked" and modified to return to a healthful state by changing the causal environment."

The butterfly study showed that each succeeding generation of mutations in butterflies was magnified (due to exposure to Fuku Radioactivity). The first generation slightly, the second more and by the third the butterflies were mutant creatures, barely recognizable.

Only the first generation was directly exposed, the succeeding generations weren't. So cleaning up the environment doesn't "help".

Genetic mutations are permanent, and involve actual changes to DNA - but epigenetic responses do NOT affect DNA, and are temporary. Cleaning up the environment DOES help reverse epigenetic effects.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You are trying to reduce us to so many bits of DNA that can be tweaked and retweaked with the perfect formula.

No, I'm not. I'm trying to make people aware that "genetic determinism" is wrong, and our genes do NOT control us. ...But you're right about that rabbit hole - and I would argue for legal actions against polluters who willfully cause sickness, heartache and often unbearable financial costs.

And I would emphasize that the worst effects are not genetic, but epigenetic.

edit on 10/4/15 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: bullcat
All this reminds me of the Aryan hunt by the Nazis.

Here we are, yet again, attempting to classify groups of people by their genetic "make up".

Yes. That's why I posted and wrote what I wrote about this.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Anyone who's honestly interested in this topic should watch this video.

How our microbes make us who we are

Rob Knight is a pioneer in studying human microbes, the community of tiny single-cell organisms living inside our bodies that have a huge — and largely unexplored — role in our health. “The three pounds of microbes that you carry around with you might be more important than every single gene you carry around in your genome,” he says. Find out why.

edit on 10/4/15 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I know that but correlation doesn't mean causation. heck even the author of the study don't know what the determining factors are. this study needs more study.. ha!
edit on 10-4-2015 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie

They DO know they haven't found any specific DNA mutations - they're going solely on gene products it seems, and assuming genetic cause. Wrong.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Assuming is different from %100 fact, two totally different things.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie

Not sure what you're getting at. I think the studies -and genetic tests- are bs because they don't distinguish between DNA and epigenetic influences that alter gene products. ...Do you get that's what I'm saying?

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Could it not have been some - " Mad Scientist Hitler " type !?

The helpers aren't likely to put up their hands ...

Otherwise ...

Aliens.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Homocysteine is what causes heart disease, and trimethylglycine is what gets rid of homocystiene, as long as you take it with a balance of B-vitamins.

They say that caffeine and other stimulants can cause a lack of height (shortness). I don't believe the shortness study either.

People who are rapists are mentally diseased. I don't think there is any REAL proof that genes cause any of these problems.

They want to blame everything on "people's bad genes". That to me sounds very much like something the Nazis would have said in their pursuit of the "perfect" Aryan race.

I think that diet is a major factor in many diseases, including mental diseases. Sexual abuse may be a factor in causing someone to become a rapist, and you could possibly throw PTSD or a severe lack of self-esteem as factors that could cause someone to become a rapist.

What are they going to say next? Type 1 diabetes is caused by eating too much sugar? It's absolutely ridiculous!

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

ah, no. i'm so sorry! I had thought you was saying that it was pure genetic.

My apologies.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Here is a totally unrelated issue, but I kind of wanted to get your opinion on it. www.sciencedaily.com...

Some food additives destroy macrophages so we don't have a negative reaction to the foods. Carageenan is one of the most common ones.

Now macrophages seem to need zinc to work. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
There are a lot of people who are zinc deficient in this country.

Supressing the immune system is not a good idea, but I guess it is alright if you want people to think your product is not going to make them sick. This leads to more dire problems as these misfolded proteins and viruses and fungi are not dealt with properly.

edit on 15-4-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Here is also another article concerning zinc deficiency and cancer susceptibility. www.sciencedaily.com... I know for guys, proper amounts of zinc is good for keeping away prostate problems.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: InFriNiTee

...They want to blame everything on "people's bad genes". That to me sounds very much like something the Nazis would have said in their pursuit of the "perfect" Aryan race.

Exactly. And we're right back where we started on that one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join