It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Calls For End To LGBT Conversion Therapy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

U.S. President Barack Obama called on Wednesday for an end to psychiatric therapies that seek to change the sexual orientation of gay, lesbian and transgender youth, the White House said.

The White House statement, written by senior adviser Valerie Jarrett, is in response to a petition calling for Obama to back a law to ban conversion therapy, which is supported by some socially conservative organizations and religious doctors.

Obama Calls For End To LGBT Conversion Therapy

In the midst of national debate on the rights of the LGBT community verses the rights of the religious to decry them and express their disapproval, the White House has "poked the tiger" again. The practice of forcefully subjecting LGBT minors to "Conversion Therapy" is still legal in 48 states!

The petition was started following the suicide in December of 17-year-old transgender youth Leelah Alcorn, who died after her parents forced her to attend conversion therapy, pulled her out of school and isolated her in an attempt to change her gender identity.

"The overwhelming scientific evidence demonstrates that conversion therapy, especially when it is practiced on young people, is neither medically nor ethically appropriate and can cause substantial harm," Jarrett said.

The questionable, dangerous nature of gay conversion therapy has been the position of the American Psychiatric Association for years:

The terms reparative therapy and sexual orientation conversion therapy refer to counseling and psychotherapy aimed at eliminating or suppressing homosexuality. The most important fact about these "therapies" is that they are based on a view of homosexuality that has been rejected by all the major mental health professions. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, published by the American Psychiatric Association, which defines the standards of the field, does not include homosexuality. All other major health professional organizations have supported the American Psychiatric Association in its declassification of homosexuality as a mental disorder in 1973.

Thus, the idea that homosexuality is a mental disorder or that the emergence of same-sex attraction and orientation among some adolescents is in any way abnormal or mentally unhealthy has no support among any mainstream health and mental health professional organizations.
www.hrc.org...

Personally, I abhor any doctrine that's rooted in shame and self hatred and I hope that more judges at state levels listen to outcry and outlaw this torturous practice being forced on LGBT minors in the name of "religious freedom"!

edit on 9-4-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
You cant prevent people from getting treatment if they want it!
make it illegal for minors to be forced by parents to have the treatments, but if an adult wants to, and makes the choice to seek this kind of treatment it should be open to them!

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I only wish those making money out of these so called treatments put their money where their mouths are and prove they can alter a persons sexulaify by undergoing treatment themselves, live as a gay person for a year having same sex sexual and loving relations then convert themselves back.

edit on 9-4-2015 by ProleUK because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

In my view, this move on President Obama's part, is absolutely vital.

I am straight, and I am Christian, but I know cruelty and torture when I see them, and that is the very definition of some of the methods I have heard of, which are being used to coerce alterations in sexual preference in young men and women. This despite the FACT that there is no scientific evidence what so ever, which supports the idea that these therapies work, AND even worse, the fact that even if they did, the methodology used to achieve the result is ENTIRELY amoral in and of itself!

The very existence of these therapies is an indictment against the human race. The people who organise and operate these retreats and therapeutic sessions, ought to be ashamed of their hubris. The idea that many of these organisations are supposed to be faith based, frankly makes me sick to my stomach, as all such hypocrisy does. I hope that Obama's proposal is endorsed and upheld in this instance.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I agree.
WHY can't individuals be as they wish so long as they don't violate laws?
WHY can't those who are gay figure out how to get along with the many who aren't.
They are NOT their enemy, and get out of hostility to EVERYONE who is percieved as wrong to THEM.
DON'T change the OTHER SIDE'S institutions MAKE your own.
edit on 9-4-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Thank you!

I have three boys who were raised in the exact same environment. The oldest and youngest are "straight" as an arrow (so to speak). The middle one is gay. He has not came out and said it but, he is. He may come out one day or he may not. Either way, it is his choice. I would never push him in either direction... I have made it clear to all of my children that they are free to be who they are as long as they don't hurt others, etc.
I can't imagine putting him through therapy for maybe or maybe not being gay.
Therapy can be a resource for people. I was in therapy, briefly, as a child. I believe it actually made things worse.
My sister is gay. She has been gay MY whole life. She was married and had children and then met someone who she actually loved. That was a woman. I have rarely seen two people more suited for one another.
Her S.O. has never lived a "traditional" lifestyle. I could see that therapies such as this could make the person confused, shameful, depressed, possibly suicidal....where would be the good in that? Ever?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

In my view, this move on President Obama's part, is absolutely vital.

I also think it's vital. I think a cry for justice, on behalf of "the people", from the White House helps pave the way for SCOTUS to declare the LBGT community a "protected" class. But, I don't think a ban on this therapy can beachieved at a federal level until that happens.

edit on 9-4-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
When people, especially both on here and in my family, ask why I support President Obama, this is one of the things I pint to. I know he's done some, shall we say, less-than-savory things, but this one is spot on.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Did they manage to convert anybody to become LBGT? ... Just asking...

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
here's the White House response to a petition.

written by Valerie Jarrett.

Official White House Response to Enact Leelah's Law to Ban All LGBTQ+ Conversion Therapy

Thank you for taking the time to sign on to this petition in support of banning the practice known as conversion therapy.

Conversion therapy generally refers to any practices by mental health providers that seek to change an individual’s sexual orientation or gender identity.[1] Often, this practice is used on minors, who lack the legal authority to make their own medical and mental health decisions. We share your concern about its potentially devastating effects on the lives of transgender as well as gay, lesbian, bisexual, and queer youth.

When assessing the validity of conversion therapy, or other practices that seek to change an individual’s gender identity or sexual orientation, it is as imperative to seek guidance from certified medical experts. The overwhelming scientific evidence demonstrates that conversion therapy, especially when it is practiced on young people, is neither medically nor ethically appropriate and can cause substantial harm.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I am not usually in favor of anything Obama does, but in this case I am. My little brother recently came out, though we have known he was gay for a very long time. Most of my family all consider themselves Christians, except me I can't stand religion. When he came out every single one of us, religious or not, were very supportive. None of us would ever try to change him, especially by beating the gay out of him. Everyone deserves to be happy as long as they aren't hurting anyone else.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Sounds out the right message.
It is ok to be gay.
Nothing to cure and to force someone is torture and should be treated as such.
Imagine a place where they attempt to make you gay? well that is what the gay folk who go to these feel like.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
yep, this is a good idea.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson

Treatment? they aren't ill.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
You cant prevent people from getting treatment if they want it!
make it illegal for minors to be forced by parents to have the treatments, but if an adult wants to, and makes the choice to seek this kind of treatment it should be open to them!

Brilliant post......You are right on the money. Obama if you really want to do something really push for gay marriage rights.

The Constitution gives equal protection under the law. Also we have separation of church and state.
edit on 9-4-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm in agreement with Wilson on this one. I'm all for banning forced treatment, but it should still be available to those who want it. An all out ban across the board goes too far.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

After reading the methods used I'd be calling for an end to it as well.

This is not treatment, it's indoctrination. Those gender bending folk cannot be cured because there is nothing wrong with them to start with, sexual identity plays a big role in forging a persons overall identity and if you take that away from someone then there is bound to be problems but I doubt these 'therapists' make the patients well being a priority.

Not to mention there is no cure for mental illness, only treatment and those who believe that there is a cure for Homosexuality are doing the medical profession a disservice by suggesting that a) Homosexuality is an mental illness and b) it can be cured.

But the fault doesn't fall entirely at the therapists feet. A few knucklehead parents out there will believe that gender realignment will turn their kids straight just like mummy and daddy wanted them to be and forget the child and their concerns. Sometimes making sure you child is happy healthy and wise is not enough anymore.

I'm all outta rant for now.

edit on 9-4-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: WilsonWilson

Treatment? they aren't ill.

Then neither is someone who is sexually attracted to children. Should we ban treatment for them as well?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This is good.

Remember one key point. It doesn't matter what you believe about homosexuality. Science and research and data proves that conversion therapy does more harm than good and doesn't work one bit. It's junk.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Yes, of course!
Those people should be locked away never to see the light of day again...

or just shot...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join