It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Calls For End To LGBT Conversion Therapy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
i don't care what this hack calls for, all i want is for him and almost every member of congress to hand in their resignation and then be prosecuted, tried, and jailed for treason.

at this point in time in his presidency, obama is background noise to be filtered out. i have no respect for the man and even less for his white house.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
i don't care what this hack calls for, all i want is for him and almost every member of congress to hand in their resignation and then be prosecuted, tried, and jailed for treason.

at this point in time in his presidency, obama is background noise to be filtered out. i have no respect for the man and even less for his white house.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson

Being gay is not a disease, you can't get it "treated."

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Treatment? they aren't ill.

Then neither is someone who is sexually attracted to children. Should we ban treatment for them as well?

Pedophilia is certainly a mental illness! A little research might be of benefit ....

www.psychiatrictimes.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Here's an interesting, very well done, documentary, an inside look into "Conversion Therapy", that was produced by VICE TV. I think it fairly shows both sides of the issue.

Exodus Int’l President to the Gay Community: “We’re Sorry”

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: windword

In my view, this move on President Obama's part, is absolutely vital.

I am straight, and I am Christian, but I know cruelty and torture when I see them, and that is the very definition of some of the methods I have heard of, which are being used to coerce alterations in sexual preference in young men and women. This despite the FACT that there is no scientific evidence what so ever, which supports the idea that these therapies work, AND even worse, the fact that even if they did, the methodology used to achieve the result is ENTIRELY amoral in and of itself!

The very existence of these therapies is an indictment against the human race. The people who organise and operate these retreats and therapeutic sessions, ought to be ashamed of their hubris. The idea that many of these organisations are supposed to be faith based, frankly makes me sick to my stomach, as all such hypocrisy does. I hope that Obama's proposal is endorsed and upheld in this instance.

I agree with you. We need to stop seeing gay, bi, or trans people as being perverted or abnormal, one. Accounts of such people go back to ancient times across virtually all cultures. In some they were accepted (ancient China, some Native American tribes) and some not (Ancient Israel and others).

I have bi and gay friends. Many of them went through hell growing up either due to family pressure or just the local culture at hand. We don't need families and bigoted quacks trying to therapy the gay out of them... That's just a recipe for 20 more years of mental anguish, self-hatred, and EVEN more therapy, lol.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
I agree.
WHY can't individuals be as they wish so long as they don't violate laws?
WHY can't those who are gay figure out how to get along with the many who aren't.
They are NOT their enemy, and get out of hostility to EVERYONE who is percieved as wrong to THEM.
DON'T change the OTHER SIDE'S institutions MAKE your own.

Most gays have spent a lifetime "getting along with the many who aren't," often having to fake being straight so they don't get shunned or even worse by the people around them. So it's quite the opposite.

As to the law, I agree that if a gay ADULT really wants some kind of therapy around being gay and exploring if they don't want to be, then let them.

But forcing kids that may or may not be gay to undergo "ungaying" is problematic, not free will, and oppressive.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I'm in agreement with Wilson on this one. I'm all for banning forced treatment, but it should still be available to those who want it. An all out ban across the board goes too far.

That point is valid. People should be able to seek out any kind of mental/spiritual anything as long as it doesn't hurt themselves or others. They can't force it (i.e. possibly harming others) on minors, or anyone else for that matter.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Treatment? they aren't ill.

Then neither is someone who is sexually attracted to children. Should we ban treatment for them as well?

False equivalency.

Simply being attracted to the same sex is not the same thing as being attracted to children. And to suggest it is falls back into scarily familiar Republican logic: "If we allow gays then soon enough bestiality and child abuse will followwwwww"

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I'm so glad that people are starting to see through the fundamental Christians ignorance and bigotry. I wonder how many Republican nominees will align themselves with them during the primary. I mean besides Ted Cruz and Mike Huckabee.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
You cant prevent people from getting treatment if they want it!
make it illegal for minors to be forced by parents to have the treatments, but if an adult wants to, and makes the choice to seek this kind of treatment it should be open to them!

Would you also suggest that it should be legal for someone to claim that rat poison can cure cancer, and be permitted to perpetuate that myth in the "treatment" of people who don't know better?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Pedophilia is certainly a mental illness!

Then so is homosexuality. I honestly just don't understand why one is a "sexual orientation" and the other is a mental illness.

Either they're both orientations or they're both illnesses. The fact that they aren't classified as such just goes to show that the field of psychology is pseudoscience.

Political pressure can't change the decay rate of a radioactive isotope, but it can change who is considered mentally ill and who isn't, as demonstrated by the removal of homosexuality from the DSM.

edit on 9-4-2015 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

False equivalency.

How so?

Simply being attracted to the same sex is not the same thing as being attracted to children.

And what do you mean "simply"? How is one any more simple or complicated than the other?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
As a transgender woman this really makes me happy.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

False equivalency.

How so?

Simply being attracted to the same sex is not the same thing as being attracted to children.

And what do you mean "simply"? How is one any more simple or complicated than the other?

Homosexuality is not defined as a mental illness, and does not encompass sex acts that would violate statutory moral norms that require a person have the mental capacity to understand the full scope of what sex entails (i.e. not children). This is precisely why the law is as it is, i.e. outlawing pedophilia, because a child cannot comprehend or give "true consent" and hence it is a form of abuse. This is not the same in any way for two consenting adults of the same sex.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Homosexuality is not defined as a mental illness

Not anymore it isn't... due to politics.

The rest of your response is just emotional pandering and jumbling of context to avoid the point that I'm making.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Then so is homosexuality. I honestly just don't understand why one is a "sexual orientation" and the other is a mental illness.

I think that we all suffer, to some extent, with mental illness. I deal with depression. But, the thing is, with pedophilia, it's a scourge on society because it leaves a wake of damaged individuals in its path, while homosexuality, certainly a deviation from the norm, harms no one.

edit on 10-4-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

If a grown adult wants to take a treatment like this, then i dont think anybody has th right to stop them.
I dont think it works, and i dont myself see any need for it, but people should be allowed to make their own choices.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Can someone show me a state or locality where this conversion therapy is mandatory and forced onto people? I don't think it should be forced onto anyone, but I'm having problems finding where it is forced.

I'm confused.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Can someone show me a state or locality where this conversion therapy is mandatory and forced onto people? I don't think it should be forced onto anyone, but I'm having problems finding where it is forced.

I'm confused.
Parents force their children to attend these "conversion therapy" camps. That's where people are forced.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join