It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Ozone Hole Recedes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The ozone hole over antartica has begun to get smaller and is continuing to recline. However, experts believe that there is still an increased risk of skin cancer from ultraviolet rays and other radiation that pours through every year. The citizens of south american countries such as Chile, are not taking enough precautions when there is a high risk level of UV light.

www.WashingtonPost.com

PUNTA ARENAS, Chile - The worst of the ozone hole has pulled back once more to Antarctica this southern spring, leaving behind a shadow of uncertainty for the people living at the bottom of the Americas.

How many will develop skin cancer in years to come? How many more decades must their children live with dangerous ultraviolet rays? Will the global treaty to save the ozone survive until then?

It will take decades to purge the atmosphere. Experts watch year by year for positive signs, and in fact this September's maximum ozone hole, at 11 million square miles, was markedly smaller for the second straight year from the huge 17-million-square-mile hole of 2002.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Some good news once for the world as a whole. In 2002 the area of the hole was 17 million square miles and now it is 11 million square miles. This is a big change, and things can only get better from here. With more and more countries co-operating on the global treaty then the world can benifit greatly.
However, people who live in high risk areas of UV rays need to be taking more precautions, using sunblock and wearing sunglasses that help to block the UV rays.

[edit on 12-20-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Yes I'm very happy that we have this problem under control. It is just evidance that the Banning aproach work wonders. We are still using CFCs just not in everything now, like we used to in the 80s. But now the CFCs are being replaced with HFCs which are Greenhouse gasses, so we gotta find a good alternative to these types of gasses as they seem to be fairly harmful.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I can't believe it. This article should be filled with responses. The fact that the ozone layer is receding is great news. I can only imagine why. Maybe mother nature is becoming more tolerant of our mistreatment of the environment. At least we were able to find the hole, locate and minimize some of its causes, and actually be responsible enough to track and record its diameter. It is good to know that there are environmentalists out there who are concerned about our environment who dedicate their life to finding out the discrepancies with our environment, our management of earth resources, and the products that slowly destroy our natural world. I hope though, that we don't become unwise all over again and believe that it is okay to once again start neglecting our natural resources. Hopefully, we'll learn to be more careful with everything we do in the farm, industrial, and production world that created this environmental mess to begin with.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
this is one of those stories that might be making a false calm.there have been many of reports of global warming is increasing and that the ozone is thining out faster than they would like us to know.the size of the ozone well lets gets some names and some real reports from legit information sources.these stories coming out are the new news info to confuse us and makes us think there is no problem.we must all be alittle bit more aware of information being shoved down our pipes now adays.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by flukemol
this is one of those stories that might be making a false calm.

Yeah I cannot be sure if this is true. And to be honest, I'm inclining toward it being false. Just what the corporations need, less people worrying about the environment, eh?

But if it is true, I am scared that people will begin to think, As Mr. Knowledge described, that it is not necessary to try and help the environment any longer. In the event that it is true, we should be even more diligent in our efforts to repair our damages. Hopefully, however.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Original post noted hole was 17 million and is now 11 million. According to Climateark.org the hole in the ozone was 25 million.

December 6, 2000

SYDNEY: Australian scientists announced on Tuesday that the China-sized hole in the ozone layer over the Antarctic might have started to close.

Fraser said readings at the government-funded research station in Cape Grim, Tasmania, showed that CFC and halon levels in the atmosphere are receding. He was awaiting U.S. Satellite photos, due in the spring, to confirm that CFC reductions are closing up the hole in the ozone.

Fraser said the hole - now shown in U.S. Satellite images at about 25 million square km - could show evidence of shrinkage in less than a decade. Link

Another article:

1- Ozone Hole Over Antarctic Decreasing After Peak: WMO
GENEVA (AFP) - The size of the hole in the protective ozone layer over the Antarctic decreased at the beginning of October, receding from the near record level it reached last month. The World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) said in a statement Thursday that the hole had declined to an area of less than 18 million square kilometers (7.2 million square miles) during the first two weeks of October. It had reached 28-million square kilometers in September, a similar size to the one in 2000, and the decline was in line with normal seasonal changes, according to WMO.

ozonaction programme

B

[edit on 12/20/04 by Bleys]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   

The ozone hole over antartica has begun to get smaller and is continuing to recline.

I'm just glad to hear that the ozone hole is reclining, but what else could you expect from an ozone layer

Seriously though, Earth is far more robust and resilient than most folks give her credit for. She survived the dinosaurs and numerous impacts by cosmic debris. I think she'll survive humanity quite well, in the long haul. It's a bit arrogant of us puny humans to suggest otherwise.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Bleys, the original post was in miles, climateark.org's is in kilometres.

25 million square kilometres is about 15 million square miles, and that article is 4 years old

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

The ozone hole over antartica has begun to get smaller and is continuing to recline.

I'm just glad to hear that the ozone hole is reclining, but what else could you expect from an ozone layer

Seriously though, Earth is far more robust and resilient than most folks give her credit for. She survived the dinosaurs and numerous impacts by cosmic debris. I think she'll survive humanity quite well, in the long haul. It's a bit arrogant of us puny humans to suggest otherwise.

I want humanity to survive. I could really care less what happens to the Earth a billion years after we become extinct, I care what happens to our species and UV radiation was a threat. C02 is a threat to Human(and some Animal) health. I just hope we can adapt.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSpallacus
Bleys, the original post was in miles, climateark.org's is in kilometres.
25 million square kilometres is about 15 million square miles, and that article is 4 years old

Dang metric system - thanks for the heads up btw.

However, there was a method to my madness for using 2000 figures. I was using older articles to determine if the Post article could be accurate and if we were seeing a trend.

Using your conversion that would put the figures at 15 mil sq miles in 2000, 17 million sq miles in 2003 and 11 million sq miles in 2004. Although that does show a decrease for the 2004 year it also shows that it could just as easily expand again like it did in 2003. So I guess cautious optimism is the best thing that can be said about this report.

Isn't there a site anywhere that compiles this data by year and area?

B.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   
The hole in the ozone is smaller but the ozone on the whole is thinning out - its doubtful the situation is improving. By the sounds of it, the ozone is attempting to repair the hole and spreading itself thin.

[edit on 22-12-2004 by c_au]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by c_au
By the sounds of it, the ozone is attempting to repair the hole and spreading itself thin.

That makes a lot of sense! You're probably right!

top topics

join