It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California's Water ( finally? ) Going MSM ...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

The move will impact residents, businesses, farmers and other users.

Brown says the historic drought demands unprecedented action.

The order also will require campuses, golf courses, cemeteries and other large landscapes to significantly cut water use and ban watering of grass on public street medians.
FoxNews: California: Mandatory Water Restrictions

-
Previously: California ... About One Year of Water Left

-
OPINION: Better Late ... Than Never.

( or learning from others ... before it's too late ??? )

-
ADDED:

ABC - Local News Los Angeles

Breitbart: Mandatory Water Cuts

edit on 1-4-2015 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne

Meanwhile, at the Nestle Water factory in Sacramento, it's business as usual.

“The coalition is protesting Nestlé’s virtually unlimited use of water – up to 80 million gallons a year drawn from local aquifers – while Sacramentans (like other Californians) who use a mere 7 to 10 percent of total water used in the State of California, have had severe restrictions and limitations forced upon them,”

according to the coalition.

“Nestlé pays only 65 cents for each 470 gallons it pumps out of the ground – the same rate as an average residential water user. But the company can turn the area’s water around, and sell it back to Sacramento at mammoth profits,”

the coalition said.

www.globalresearch.ca...

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

officials to impose mandatory water restrictions for the first time in history

First time in history?
I lived in Vancouver, BC for years, where it rains and rains and rains.......

They've done watering restrictions in the summer for decades now...

One would think a southern area like California would have put in conservation methods years ago

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Looks like it will be fun and games when I come over to visit in June

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I don't know why they waited so long.....they should have at least implemented glasses of water in restraunts only if partons wanted it, like a while ago....this is not a good situation for sure.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

“The coalition is protesting Nestlé’s virtually unlimited use of water – up to 80 million gallons a year drawn from local aquifers – while Sacramentans (like other Californians) who use a mere 7 to 10 percent of total water used in the State of California, have had severe restrictions and limitations forced upon them,”

Yeah, never get in the way of big business, we will be down to drinking each others piss and these companies with still be operating at max production.

Living in Scotland, it's so damp and cold i doubt even a nuclear weapon would ignite.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm sure some people will restrict use while some businesses will increase their use and overall, they will still run out of water. A lot of veggies are grown in California, they will have to lower exports of veggies and the rest of the country will need to go back to farming again.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

Great point, and of course we all remember the former CEO of Nestle and his desire for water privatization.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Instead of running oil pipelines the length and breadth of the country maybe we should be thinking of running water pipelines from the Artic and Antartic...well it is melting, may as well make good use of that lovely 10,000 year old water.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

First time in history?

One would think a southern area like California would have put in conservation methods years ago

No, they had massive urban sprawl starting in the 1950's after World War I. Los Angeles was once a small compact city, but then the automobile companies bought up all the railroads and cable cars, then scrapped them. The future was going to be the freeway. Homes were even designed so that they could be lifted from their foundations and transported to a new plot of land. Homeowners would relocate as soon as car showrooms were built in locations that spoiled their view. Car showrooms would be built in locations where the sale signs would be seen by as many people as possible. In the end, the outer suburbs spread all the way across the agricultural farmlands. In the end, they just ended up widening the freeways to make the traffic jams longer. Then they had to build storm-drains to stop rainwater running off all those roads from flooding neighborhoods. Those are those wide concrete trenches you see in the Terminator movies. They could capture and collect all that water, but that would cost money they don't have.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100

I don't know why they waited so long.....they should have at least implemented glasses of water in restraunts only if partons wanted it, like a while ago....this is not a good situation for sure.

They already do this in California and have done it for years now. This also isn't the first time there has been water restrictions either. At least not in my area of California. I'm not sure why they are saying this is the first water restriction to happen in Cali. either because we've had water restrictions all the time. Can't water on certain days or you get fined, no water in restaurants unless asked for, etc.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

You know, it wouldn't hurt to cap everyone's water meter. My neighbor upstairs cranks the water tap for 5 minutes straight every time she washes the dishes. Drives me nuts. Estimates are, we use about 80-100 gallons per day per person. That's nuts and should be criminal. It can take weeks to months to replenish reservoirs but can take a thousand years to replenish ground water supplies. Then there's stupid hive minds whom partake in ice bucket challenges because it's neat 'o.

Wasteful wasteful human beings. And anyone who says "don't worry" should be shot.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I don't know if it will be enough by looking at your link.

On the left jan 2013 on the right jan 2014 a historic low and from the article.

Officials say the snowpack is already far below the historic lows of 1977 and 2014, when it was 25 percent of normal on April 1 - the time when the snowpack is generally at its peak.

Maybe 2014 and 2015 are freak years, but if the trend keeps up I don't see how those areas can be sustained.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

I have a 2 gig data limit on my phone per month. It makes me watch my usage. I totally agree there should be a water limit per household, reasonable but not excessive. That's the only way people will conserve, if it is monitored and charged. Until it hits the consumer's wallet most won't conserve.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Looks like it will be fun and games when I come over to visit in June

I'm there in June also.Didn't they (California) have severe storms over the winter? The coast road somewhere near Malibu was closed for a long time because of mud slides,what happened to the water that caused this to happen?

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

First time in history?

Actually California has been working on water conservation and reclaimation for 30 to 40 years. We've done all the easy things - now those are not enough.

It's never been considered 'sexy' enough to make the news in other parts of the world - so please don't denigrate those that have worked hard to get California's worries resolved.

The only reason you are hearing about it now is because big business (not Agra exclusively) is whining in public about having to do their part.

Who hasn't be keeping up is industrial Agra in the state who waste a huge percentage of the water and they will have to do their part as well. Small farms are largely ahead of the curve - but not, as a previous poster noted, the monied interests (taking money out of the state).

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

You know, it wouldn't hurt to cap everyone's water meter.
[...]
Wasteful wasteful human beings. And anyone who says "don't worry" should be shot.

If you lived here and someone were telling you they were going to cap your water usage, you'd be screaming for them to be shot.

Water, water, everywhere. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting two streams, a river, and a lake.

Keep your government regulation on my water usage away from me

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'm not buying this load of crap one bit and I live in Los Angeles. If it were truly a code red, super duper level alert they would be closing down the all the tourist attractions that take water, then they would halt movie productions that needed a lot of water, fountains would be turned off I would have notices nailed to my door. They would of have cancelled that new train that takes people halfway to Las Vegas and drops them off in the middle of the desert, and applied that money to a desalination plant. This is a farce to raise taxes to pay for all of the illegals Obama flooded our state with.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Enochstask

That's the dumbest conspiracy theory I've ever heard. It's not Obama and the Illegals you Right Wing nut job. I've lived here for 40 years and the fact is we are in a drought. It's not just some political game either. Talk to the people that drill wells. They are having to drill deeper than ever before to tap in to water sometimes only resulting in a few days worth and then having to drill again and it's costing the customers thousands of dollars every time they drill.

We've been in drought conditions like this for years and we've gone through them on and off since I was a kid. Big Agra Business is a big part of the waste. There are also some stupid regulations in place as well, but that's not the major cause of it. The trouble is NO FREAKIN' WATER. We have very little rain and even less snow pack which is what we need. Have you seen the mountains all covered in snow the last few years??? No, because it's not there. Noticed any lakes being lower than normal or completely dried out??? Yep, me too. Did Obama and the Mexican's take it all too???

I will agree with you that the stupid High Speed Train should be off the table but that's politics for ya. Why build plants for water when you can spend 1000% more money on a train that nobody wants??? Because it's all about the money. These stupid asses don't give a damn about anything other than filling their pockets with it.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
It's pretty simple. If the water is not there then perhaps it's time to relocate. Cant live without water. My ass would be out.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join