It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The miracle of the moon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
So a solar eclipse happens when the moon comes directly in front of the sun. The moon due to its exact positioning and shape more or less fits directly inside the suns figure, all we see is light glow around the edges of the moon. Think how many variables would have to be "perfect" for this to even be possible, surely a solar eclipse is a miracle in itself.

Take for example a basketball being thrown at a hoop. By chance it just wouldnt happen, or it might happen very very rarely like maybe once. The ball has to be picked up positioned ligned up and thrown with the right amount of power and angle for it to go through the hoop. The same can be said about the moon, for this to be possible the moon would have to be "carved/shaped" and placed in the exact distance from the earth. I read the moon is moving away from the earth very slowly so eventually would a solar eclipse be impossible, or is the earth also moving away from the sun at the same rate, so it will always be possible?

People who are superstitious would be afraid, as the Sun is the source of all life, without it life would not exists. The solar eclipse is a reminder of its power and importance. Probably the reasons people worshipped the sun or sun gods.

In Islam the eclipse is seen as a warning and is shown to instil fear of gods punishment.

Eclipses are signs from Allaah by means of which Allaah makes His slaves afraid. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And We sent not the signs except to warn, and to make them afraid (of destruction)” [al-Israa’ 17:39]

People who beleive in natural evolution i.e no God would say this is just coincidence, but those who have knowledge would say there is no such thing right?

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Already been done here.

It didn't do so well...

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: rkingpin

There's plenty of aspect's to our solar system that just seem to feel 'manufactured'. Just about everything about our Moon being a perfect example. I mean, look how big it is compared to the earth. It's quite honestly amazing when you compare it to the other moons in our solar system.

How we ended up with this one single massive moon just blows the mind and is a true mystery. But having said that, there's nothing perfect about it, so I don't see how anyone could equate it to evidence of a supernatural entity. It's moving away from earth at a rate of like 2 inches a year for starters.

Personally, I think some other higher life form created us and built the earth. But scientifically excepted origin theory also works, since if you think about how big the universe actually is, then it's just not that far fetched to believe that all these amazing coincidences could have occurred to allow us to come into being. It's just simple mathematics.

To paraphrase Richard Dawkins, there's nothing magical about all the amazing stars we see in our sky, since without the stars we would not be able to exist in the first place to contemplate it as a magical occurrence.

Manufactured? Well, maybe.

Created by a supernatural entity? I doubt it, since there's nothing perfect or magical about it.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Think how many variables would have to be "perfect" for this to even be possible, surely a solar eclipse is a miracle in itself.

I do so agree.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

It didn't do so well...

Wait, what 33 flags?

I got my moneys worth.
edit on Rpm32915v03201500000026 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Think how many variables would have to be "perfect" for one moon rotation to coincide with one orbit around the earth, so one side is always facing towards us!

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I do so believe that the precise distances during a solar eclipse are indeed advanced mathematical proofs of Universal design...

Perfect positioning.

But...

That is not Surah 17 Ayat 39 of the Quran!
So that can be removed from your OP to be honest.
edit on 29-3-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: Prezbo369

It didn't do so well...

Wait, what 33 flags?

I got my moneys worth.

I was speaking of your claim (like the one from the OP of this thread) that the eclipse had a supernatural basis/origin.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blastoff
Think how many variables would have to be "perfect" for one moon rotation to coincide with one orbit around the earth, so one side is always facing towards us!

ZERO! Try angular momentum, forces, physics, you know the stuff an awful lot of conspiracists and new ages haven't a clue about.

You do realise there are 34 moons in our solar system that behave like this.

Sorry but this deserves a huge DUH!

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
there is no other moon in the solar system that can do a solar eclipse like our moon. And coincidentally none of those have life aswell.

Some may say well due to recent news of water on some other moons means they will have life, but water alone is not sufficient for life to exist or "evolve"

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I do so believe that the precise distances during a solar eclipse are indeed advanced mathematical proofs of Universal design...

I agree ... when we observe the nature of the Universe or the nature of Earth ... how could it all come to be as it is without intelligence ... the patterns in nature are profound ... we tend to take it all for granted ...
It truly is a miracle in that sense

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: rkingpin
there is no other moon in the solar system that can do a solar eclipse like our moon.

www.skyandtelescope.com...

Cross your fingers and hope that Friday January 23rd will be clear. That night observers from western Europe to the Americas will witness a rare triple shadow transit of three of Jupiter's moons — Io, Europa and Callisto

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

All that you say is interesting, and it is true that at this point in time, we can witness the moon mask the entire disk of the sun, when the moons orbit passes through the suns light and obscures it from our sight.

But the moon is moving inexorably away from our planet, by tiny degrees to be sure, but moving away all the same. At some point in the future, the residents of this planet will know full eclipses as anachronism, a thing of antiquity, written of in dusty tomes, and little visited backwaters of whatever worldwide data storage system exists in that period. The only people who will know of them in the times to come, will be observatory historians, and other keepers of the knowledges of man.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

All that you say is interesting, and it is true that at this point in time, we can witness the moon mask the entire disk of the sun, when the moons orbit passes through the suns light and obscures it from our sight.

But the moon is moving inexorably away from our planet, by tiny degrees to be sure, but moving away all the same. At some point in the future, the residents of this planet will know full eclipses as anachronism, a thing of antiquity, written of in dusty tomes, and little visited backwaters of whatever worldwide data storage system exists in that period. The only people who will know of them in the times to come, will be observatory historians, and other keepers of the knowledges of man.

www.newscientist.com...

but the earth is moving away from sun too so the distances may have the same perspective and effect

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I think it is worth checking into that idea further.

I am fairly sure that the understanding of these things held by observers, is that the speeds of those distance changes, are not uniform, and therefore the chances are that there is very little possibility that things will be as you hope.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Allah has slaves?

While the earth is slowly moving away rom the sun, our moon is slowly moving away from earth, which ,given the info so far, makes one wonder if its coincidence or something else is at work.
edit on 29-3-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The moon moves faster away then the Earth and Sun. The corona of the sun at one time was completely masked, not so much anymore. Just math.

Also, one side faces earth at all times due to tidal lock. It's common as well.
edit on 29-3-2015 by Jenisiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Oh my, my, my!

Aren't we edgy today?

Hope you feel better soon!

edit on 30-3-2015 by Blastoff because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2015 by Blastoff because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: rkingpin
www.newscientist.com...

but the earth is moving away from sun too so the distances may have the same perspective and effect
How could they when the rate the moon is moving away from the Earth is 100 times faster relative to the distance?

It's like blowing up a balloon from tennis ball size to grapefruit size to basketball size and comparing the size to those three items.

At the instant it reached grapefruit size, it's not much of a coincidence the balloon is the same size because it was inevitable that it had to be that size at some point while it was inflating. The balloon had to pass through grapefruit size to get from tennis ball size to basketball size. If three different flies buzz by the inflating balloon at three different times, one might see it match the tennis ball, one might see it match the grapefruit, and one might see it match the basketball size.

Really not much of a coincidence in any of those cases, and solar eclipse is analogous. It's only our unique perspective in time that makes them seem roughly the same size which by the way they actually aren't in every eclipse. Here's an example from a 2012 eclipse where the moon is quite a bit smaller:

Solar Eclipse

An annular solar eclipse (left) occurs when the moon is too far away to completely cover the sun's disk (May 20, 2012).

The angular diameter of the moon is going to keep getting smaller and smaller than the angular diameter of the sun over millions of years, because the Earth sun distance increase is negligible in comparison to the moon's distance increasing with respect to these angular diameters, and by negligible I mean about 1%.

edit on 30-3-2015 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Just curious ... So what will happen to the Moon ... will it be dragged in to orbit Mars ... what is the actual distance the Moon is moving away at per year ...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join