It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Topeka Police Implement New Policy: When a Cop Stops You, Hands Must Go Up

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

The local source you apparently missed...

....not sure what you're seeing, but I see no "click bait" anywhere there.
How does that source "suck"?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Not surprised. Unchecked power always leads to corruption. And if the legislatures don't do anything about it, it'll either get worse or other districts will start implementing it. This has "potential for disaster" written all over it.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

I say we start raising the middle finger on each hand while we are at it.

That's a sign of aggression.

"Boom"

Jude11

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
These sources kind of suck.

A quick google for this and I'm just finding a whole bunch of websites I've never heard of with copy/pasta of a few that I have- all filled with poorly worded clickbait ads all over them.

If an actual MSM source is Click Bait, I can't help it.

ksnt.com...

Jude11

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

I understand your indignation but as you clearly stated we have no power so might as well show them how we feel.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Agreed.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

The scary thing about this is now they can say that your weren't "compliant" and they had "no choice" but to act aggressively (i.e. shoot or beat the crap out of you) just because you failed to go hands-up. What if you are just passing through or just don't know about such a stupid policy (not law)?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

That is why this will be struck down, it is illegal. Hopefully...nobody has to suffer consequences before it is...

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Because what they're saying is true, and living in the local area, there have not been many officer shootings from Topeka. Most of them have been in KC proper.

But it has been tragically common for cops in Topeka to do routine traffic stops, all ethnicities, and have the driver suddenly shoot the cop dead out of nowhere. Those stops have been of people on the run from other legal actions, true, but the traffic officer had no way of knowing.

I don't like this policy, but I know where it comes from. It has nothing to do with overbearing police and everything to do with a tragic set of circumstance. The body cam footage is there.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Sorry but a police policy only effects police.

They are not empowered to make policies that effect citizens.

Those are called laws.

The police are not empowered to make laws.

They can sit on it and spin.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Shame we can't even get reliable stats on how many UNARMED INNOCENT CITIZENS that district has lost in the last two years.

How is it even possible that police departments don't need to keep track of that sort of thing?

Next thing you know police will shoot every occupant in the head before approaching the vehicle.

They have to be sure you aren't a threat.

I mean they act this way because being a cop is one of the most dangerous....huh? What was that?

They aren't even in the top 20 most dangerous jobs in america?

Seriously?

Theyust just be crybaby power hungry bags of pussification incarnate then.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
LOL no hands up and they may shoot! Haha home of the free my arse, so the end is truly near!

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

Jackal...buddy you so truly illuminate the obvious mindset I have just about spit at every one if your posts I read in this thread.

Good work man!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Yeah, that's not going to work out for the police department very well.

Surely they understand that Topeka will have road users in it who are not resident of, nor aware of local by laws of the place? How many out of towners are going to get ventilated, just by following general traffic stop procedure, acceptable in every other jurisdiction?

This seems like the stupidest nonsense I have heard since Mitt Romney ran for office.

I don't know, mitt was a pretty retarded idea.

Well no that us insting to retards because it gives him way too much credit.

More like if I took a retarded ameoba, then gave it brain damage, then choked it until it only had half a fictional brain cell left.

Mitt Romney would only be twice as stupid as that.

(Yes I know ameoba don't have brain cells)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

Sorry but a police policy only effects police.

They are not empowered to make policies that effect citizens.

Those are called laws.

The police are not empowered to make laws.

They can sit on it and spin.

Empowered or not, they have their own set of laws.

We have one set, they have another. We meet in the middle with a bullet for us.

Peace

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Hands up..because that worked so well for Mike Brown. *Sigh* And folks wonder why I have such utter disdain for the police.....

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Not surprised. Unchecked power always leads to corruption. And if the legislatures don't do anything about it, it'll either get worse or other districts will start implementing it. This has "potential for disaster" written all over it.

There is a reason you separate Military and The Police. One fights the enemies of the State; the other Serves and Protects the people. When the Military becomes both or the Police become the Military, then the Enemies of the State tend to become the the people.

(modified BSG Commander Adama Quote)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
LOL no hands up and they may shoot! Haha home of the free my arse, so the end is truly near!

I wonder, does this apply to kids as well? And what about the hearing impaired who may be in the car? And what happens if the driver turns around to instruct the children in the backseat? Will they just assume the driver's reaching for a weapon? This has so much potential for abuse.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Everyone should purchase multiple sets of plastic hands that automaticlly pop up.
Imagine just one person in the car but four sets of hands popping up!

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

There was a time when police had a certain amount of respect, the 50's and 60's. Admittedly, even back then there were occasional police shootings, but I don't think as many civilians were involved in death by cop. Serve and Protect seemed to mean a different thing back them. Now it just means they serve and protect the law, it's got nothing to do with you or me unless they can squeeze out some kind of fine or enrich the politician's and their buddies in the corporate prison complex.

Now with all the militarization and the seriously apparent creation of a different "class" of citizen that is held harmless even during murder and rape, it's all slid downhill. To receive cooperation, you need to be respected. To force compliance you need to be feared. Fear is much more cost effective as respect takes time and must be earned. I neither respect nor fear cops, I see them as annoying bridge trolls or speed bumps on the road of life.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/28.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join