It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AZ Senator wants to make church attendance mandatory

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Growing up in Kansas the middle of the bible belt. The biggest partiers were the preachers kids.

This person needs to take a beginners class on the New Testament she would learn that the body of Christ is the church not some building.
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

edit on 29-3-2015 by guitarplayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

But..but...Why do Atheists care what the religious believe?

Why do those that believe in nothing feel the need to talk about others belief?

Because you have Bozos like the politician cited in the OP talking about using the power of the state to force their beliefs on everyone else. Most aren't quite as idiotically upfront about blurting it out but that's obviously the agenda.
edit on 29-3-2015 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I wish her well with that...

Actually, I don't. Nothin' like tossin' an Amendment right outta the window. I seem to vaguely recall a clause in the Constitution about freedom of religion...which implies freedom from religion.

I wonder which other amendment would go next? All in the name of morality, of course...

Probably that oh, so pesky freedom of speech clause... I mean after all, freedom of thought might get in the way of their version of morality...right?

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Going to Church becoming mandatory is good news. I hope all states follow suit.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

“People prayed, people went to church,” she said, recalling her 1950s upbringing. “I remember on Sundays the stores were closed. The biggest thing is religion was kicked out of our public places, out of our schools.”

No crap. That was the point. All the places that removed religion are doing better by all remarks.

The other part she fails to mention was the rampant institutionalized racism of that time period, and how many of those churches were openly promoting that bigotry. When they get nostalgic like that, they always forget to mention how many of their denominations openly supported racial segregation, miscegenation, support for slavery, and flat out racism against dark skinned people ("Mark of Cain" & "Curse of Ham/Canaan"). Not to mention homophobia, belittlement of women, etc.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

So people that go to church are fat divorce and murder each other, quite the shallow connection.

And anyone who thinks someone made it here is quite the shallow thinker.

The connection is between the total populations of the STATES in the bible belt and various statistics.

I'm sure we don't have any type of socio economic trends.

The only way to not have socio-economic trends is to have no society and no economy.

Or no brains.......

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Seriously misleading thread title.

She never said she WANTS to make it mandatory, just this :

“Probably we should be debating a bill requiring every American to attend a church of their choice on Sunday to see if we can get back to having a moral rebirth, But since that would never be allowed and we would not even be debating that, I am going to vote yes that people who are responsible and have a CCW permit don’t have to worry about their gun as they’re out and about doing business in whatever building they’re in except for ones that aren’t allowed.”

She was simply using it as an example. Keep it in context OP. You're doing EXACTLY what Fox News haters accuse them of doing.

So, OP, I can see you hate religion, and religious people, just by your words. But seriously, if you are going to post an article, just post the original article's title, not you own made up one that is factually wrong, and only intended to stir up sensationalism.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Source

It seems Ms Allen could use a course in the constitution and American history.

What I find even funnier is that she believes church attendance actually makes people better. Maybe she should look at the hard facts. States with the highest church attendance also are the most morally challenged according to the data.

The "Bible Belt", which has the most people attending church per capita, also have the highest rates of teen pregnancy, murder, divorce, obesity, and poverty.

Teen Pregnancy
Divorce and Murder

Yeah, America needs more of this "morality".

Well, they didn't prove forcing everyone to buy insurance would do anything other than make people buy insurance so with that precedent, it seems like they could make just about anything mandatory.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

Well anyways based on the typical hate and stereotypes of a mass group of people on ATS, we can assume the hate is very strong in this thread. I live in the south and I've met some of the nicest respectful people I will ever meet. People go to church and people go to work some people even go to college. I refuse to put people in a box that all of you try so hard to accomplish in order to feed your own personal rhetoric .

Your connection is that people in the south go to church at a higher rate then the rest of the country and that the social problems are linked to church attendance. So in order to feed your own personal rhetoric you make a connection that people who go to church are more prone to violence? In order to prove this claim you have to have records of people who go to church and a true connection to the crimes that you claim. Since church attendance is not public records everything you claim is pure speculation since, any person can claim 100% Sunday morning church attendance. In order to prove this connection we have to look at all of the possible trends happening in this area gangs, poverty, schools, economics, jobs, or in your case church attendance.

In order to make these points you have to prove that you're not holding any personal bias towards people of faith. Are these criminals waking up at 8am from all that drug induced coma paying attention during church? I mean all this violence contradicts many of the main themes of that particular faith. Maybe the preachers are gang members during the weekdays?

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

People go to church and people go to work some people even go to college....

Your connection is that people in the south go to church at a higher rate then the rest of the country and that the social problems are linked to church attendance.

Actually, the connection is that the social problems are because only SOME people 'even go to college.'
Education is the answer to the world's ills. Not church.

Sorry you missed that connection, but now you know.
A higher education has a tremendous effect on reducing one's 'religiosity'. What I hate is ignorance.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I know lots of people who are extremely educated and incredibly ignorant. I also know extremely educated and extremely religious. Yup lets keep generalizing based on shallow facts and opinions.

The world is a big place with lots a different people and perspectives. I don't think calling people stupid is healthy

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: JDmOKI

People go to church and people go to work some people even go to college....

Your connection is that people in the south go to church at a higher rate then the rest of the country and that the social problems are linked to church attendance.

Actually, the connection is that the social problems are because only SOME people 'even go to college.'

A higher education has a tremendous effect on reducing one's 'religiosity'. What I hate is ignorance.

I can't agree with that, though I think I know what you're trying to say. Education has absolutely no correlation to morality.

Also, I think a lot of people who disparage religions are missing a major point. There are a lot of people who do good deeds strictly because of their beliefs. And you guys never seem to add in the people whose religious beliefs helped them turn their lives around and become better people because of them. You only focus on the negative but not the positive.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Exactly. It is interesting, that the more educated people are, the less religious they are. And when religion decreases in importance in a population, interestingly, quite a few social ills also decrease. Why is this, if religion supposedly is what makes people moral? In my own opinion, I think it has to do with non-religious people taking more responsibility for themselves and their lives, as well as making life decisions based more on practical, current, real world things, and not limiting themselves to a moral, social, and ethical code developed thousands of years ago by people with no understanding of the world.

I have met some religious people who were outstanding, solid, and intelligent people, but they were more educated and realistic. And sadly, they are rare.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

Well, they didn't prove forcing everyone to buy insurance would do anything other than make people buy insurance so with that precedent, it seems like they could make just about anything mandatory.

Forcing people to buy health insurance or auto insurance, or forcing them to pay to register their autos, or forcing them to stop at red lights or not crap in their yard is a completely different category of regulation than making someone go to church. In my book.

I do agree, however, that church goers are frequently more moral in their behavior because of their beliefs and more power to them. There are certain local congregations whose members I would be more likely to do business with because of that.

HOWEVER--they can go to their church and I can go to mine. Or not go to any at all. And I should be judged on the morality and legality of my behavior, nothing else.

And the majority of the people pushing the theocratic agenda aren't even talking about ALL churches, they're talking about a specific brand of religion that doesn't represent all Christians, perhaps not even the majority of Christians.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
She is an idiot. We "in the know" should all get together and build our own town.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
That is insane! Who does she think she is!!!!!!

I mean, how crazy is that!

Its kind of like forcing a baker to bake a cake for some farcical homosexual wedding....

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: truckdriver42
Wonder how many cakes they made for other people that were getting married that was not in line with what the bible said...

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

I do agree, however, that church goers are frequently more moral in their behavior because of their beliefs and more power to them.

oooooooo.....yeah, if you'd omitted this statement, I'd be all about "APPLAUSE!"

but - Perhaps I am misinterpreting your meaning.

Are you saying that:
A) "Church goers are frequently more moral in their behavior" than other people because their beliefs?

or

B) "Church goers are frequently more moral in their behavior" than they would otherwise be without those beilefs?

Please clarify.

edit on 3/29/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Are you saying that:
A) "Church goers are frequently more moral in their behavior" than other people because their beliefs?

or

B) "Church goers are frequently more moral in their behavior" than they would otherwise be without those beilefs?

Please clarify.

Maybe a little of both? I guess my perspective is that all the world's major religions in their mainstream form teach ethical behavior and there are a lot of devout people who try to follow those instructions. In some cases I'm sure it's just peer pressure. All I can say is that I've owned a number of businesses since 1989 and we have rental property and in my experience sincerely devout religious people (be they Christian, Muslim, whatever) are certainly not less moral in their behavior than non-believers. Especially from certain denominations and/or congregations. Of course, there are a lot of phonies as well, just like with the politicians. But there are also a lot of people who don't go to church that you can't trust, either.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

But..but...Why do Atheists care what the religious believe?

Why do those that believe in nothing feel the need to talk about others belief?

I have seen that parroted in many forms all over the internet. Now I can just link this thread.

Why shoulnd't they?

I mean ,why are you spending your time right now talking about atheists?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join