It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U of Oklahoma frat investigated after video of ‘Never be a n****r SAE’ sing-along goes viral

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Racism is very alive and kicking.

Chain emails with photo shopped photos of Obama and his wife and Muslim hate "jokes" make the rounds in even the most professional of offices. People are just much more discrete these days, looking left/right/behind them before opening them up.

If the emails of the top 500 companies nation-wide were audited, we'd be in for a big shocker -- government emails as well. People may not openly say racist remarks in public these days, but behind closed doors and among friends -- racism is still very prevalent.

People love to feel that they are better than someone else. I don't see this ever changing.

There is a HUGE difference between a joke or cartoon than racism. Look up the definition. Making fun of someone isn't racism...even when the joke is race related. Here...I'll do it for you:

"usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others."

A joke is not hate or superiority. It is a joke.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
A four-star offensive lineman, Jean Delance, who had committed to the Sooners in November has now decided to withdraw and take a position with another university after seeing the video.

Source

"Very uneducated people. I wouldn't want my son or child to go there or to anywhere like that," Delance told CBS 11 in Dallas-Fort Worth on Monday. "It was just very disturbing to me. I didn't like it."
The football team canceled its scheduled Monday practice. Instead, players and coaches held a short vigil inside the practice facility. The players, wearing all black, then left, walking in rows locked arm in arm.]

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

But racism? All whites are superior to all blacks? Nope. There is a touch of it I'm sure but its like the FDA...less than 1% doesn't count.

Just out of curiosity, is there any factual basis for either your 0% or 1% racism figure(s)?

Source, measurement, study, anything?

Thanks for your response if any.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

But racism? All whites are superior to all blacks? Nope. There is a touch of it I'm sure but its like the FDA...less than 1% doesn't count.

Just out of curiosity, is there any factual basis for either your 0% or 1% racism figure(s)?

Source, measurement, study, anything?

Thanks for your response if any.

Not that I'm aware of. Especially since you would have to have people answer honestly which I doubt any real racist would. So if we can agree that a racist would lie to hide being a racist...it is likely even smaller than what we expect. I would assume. But again...that depends if you use the definition of racism...or made up crap like jokes, etc.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

But you are saying that there is really zero or very slight racism in America, correct?

What are you basing that conclusion on then? Obviously you want a narrow definition of the words racism and racist.

I ask because I'm absolutely flabbergasted at your idea. I can't see how you look around this country and see ZERO RACISM.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Racism is very alive and kicking.

Chain emails with photo shopped photos of Obama and his wife and Muslim hate "jokes" make the rounds in even the most professional of offices. People are just much more discrete these days, looking left/right/behind them before opening them up.

If the emails of the top 500 companies nation-wide were audited, we'd be in for a big shocker -- government emails as well. People may not openly say racist remarks in public these days, but behind closed doors and among friends -- racism is still very prevalent.

People love to feel that they are better than someone else. I don't see this ever changing.

What do you mean, "more discrete?" Racism is every day, in your face. It is just that in our current society, some flavors of racism are more acceptable than others.
edit on 10-3-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
a reply to: NavyDoc

Interesting..when the left uses the argument, "well so and so did it too"..it is considered invalid from the right.

Yet they turn around and use the same argument when it attempts to justify "their" argument.

How many of those so called minorities chanting "kill whitey" or whatever have been captured on cam?

I don't follow.

Violent rappers make music videos. It certainly is captured on camera.

I think both sets of bad behavior are not appropriate and I opined that the Greeks should be done away with as all they seem to do is bad behavior. Seems like an even handed approach to me--censure bad behavior from everyone, regardless what skin color they have.

Because when violent rappers make music videos that are captured on camera, the libs will say it's art. When a busload of drunk fraternity brothers are captured on camera it's racist (which it certainly is). In both cases it's racist to anyone except the left.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Yes. And people call them out as being racist. Your point?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Yes. And people call them out as being racist. Your point?

That some racist speech is perfectly acceptable in our PC society. We live in a swamp of double standards.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Haven't you heard? Racism doesn't exist. It's all just something the left-wing liberal media makes up so that Al Sharpton can make money he won't pay taxes on.

Sarcasm aside, the responses by the school's President and the national fraternity have been commendably immediate and decisive.

Yea but if AL Sharpton and rappers spew hate publicly it's ok and they actually make money from it.

Racism is bad on all levels

I don't want to defend Sharpton across the board but it's rarely noted what his position is about hip hop:

This hip-hop culture must use their music, their influence to correct what's wrong, not to continue to perpetuate what's wrong, not continue to promote what's wrong. They have the power to do that. And if they really want to have an impact on society, they must change their focus and show America the best of us instead of the worst.....I will push the hip-hop community and challenge them to reach higher. I challenge them to stop this whole glorifying of a reckless lifestyle.......there has to be some integrity, some sense of righteousness among these artists.

LINK.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

They weren't expelled (yet - fingers crossed).

Two students have now been expelled.

The University of Oklahoma expelled two students on Tuesday for “playing a leadership role” in racially-charged chants on a school bus during a Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) fraternity event, according to a university release.

“I have emphasized that there is zero tolerance for this kind of threatening racist behavior at the University of Oklahoma. I hope that the entire nation will join us in having zero tolerance of such racism when it raises its ugly head in other situations across our country,” the school’s president David Boren said in a statement.

Source

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

That some racist speech is perfectly acceptable in our PC society.

It's easy to say that it's acceptable, but the fact is some people accept it and some don't. Just like some people accept what this fraternity did and some don't.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

That some racist speech is perfectly acceptable in our PC society.

It's easy to say that it's acceptable, but the fact is some people accept it and some don't. Just like some people accept what this fraternity did and some don't.

Really? Do we see the same response and outrage when the arbitrary "races" (Race is a social construct and I don't even buy into the concept) are reversed? National news?

Hardly.

I dislike frats and have no problem with the fraternity being closed down. They all should, as they really are just places where bad behavior of all sorts abound. However, I prefer punishments to be equitable, across all lines, and they are not in today's academia.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Really? Do we see the same response and outrage when the arbitrary "races" (Race is a social construct and I don't even buy into the concept) are reversed?

I'm pretty sure if a video came out with the races swapped, the University would take the same action. Of course, I can't say that for sure. But neither can you.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Really? Do we see the same response and outrage when the arbitrary "races" (Race is a social construct and I don't even buy into the concept) are reversed?

I'm pretty sure if a video came out with the races swapped, the University would take the same action. Of course, I can't say that for sure. But neither can you.

I would suggest that the history on this subject demonstrates that you assume incorrectly.

Tenured AA professors say racist stuff like this, for crying out loud. PC racism is very, very much the norm in academia.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

originally posted by: yuppa
. ALso slavery under the US itself as a colony and free was Actually around 72 yrs until the outlawing of slavery. Look it up.

How do you figure that?

The first Africans brought here involuntarily came in 1619. From there until the end of the Civil War was 256 years. It was another 99 years until the civil rights act and even longer until Jim Crow was mostly gone.

Your figures dont match what i searched for. i searched specifically for,"WHEN did slavery end in the US" I got th efigures i posted for my answer. And also WAS THIS COUNTRY AMERICA(as in ran by the American people and not britain,spanish or french) Subjugation is being forced to work. after the civil war no one was forced to work were they in the US.

Subjugation is actually doen to us all if you read the definition a certain way. we are subjugated by laws and rules. We are subjugated by the constitution too. The civil rights act was for the SOUTH itself up north they were treated fairly.

US itself only had slavery for 76 yrs. you do not include the other stuff since that does not cover specifically the US.

Take the issue up with the other countries for their part in that travesty too. PErsonally I and my family never owned any slaves SO i refuse to take responsibility for something I or they did not do. Oh your family was originally slaves? You want me to pay you for something someone not related to me did to your family? NOPE.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

"extension of highschool social drama at this point?" fair play you hit the nail on the head with that one

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

US itself only had slavery for 76 yrs. you do not include the other stuff since that does not cover specifically the US.

Below is your original statement. You've changed the goalposts.

ALso slavery under the US itself as a colony and free was Actually around 72 yrs until the outlawing of slavery.

originally posted by: yuppa Oh your family was originally slaves? You want me to pay you for something someone not related to me did to your family? NOPE.

I never said anything about my family being slaves. I never said anything about supporting reparations.

Subjugation is actually doen to us all if you read the definition a certain way. we are subjugated by laws and rules. We are subjugated by the constitution too.

Are you seriously suggesting that living under the U.S. constitution is equivalent to being enslaved the way blacks were?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

Changed the goal post. notice the amount of years. around the same number right? SO how was i moving the goal post? oh just because i said colonies in it right? Apparently i AMENDED that with my next post because it was off.,Moving the goal post would had been changing the time frame.

ALso I want saying you were related to any slaves. I was pointing out the way they expect to be treated and given the world because they had a relative who was a slave.

Let break this down into time periods.COLONIAL SLAVERY(before US freedom from britain)

AFter revolution slavery numbers(that apply to the US alone)

Now DURING colonial occupation the slaves were owned by british subjects.Until they declared their freedom and american citizenship they were british. AFTER that it was 72-76 yrs before it was outlawed in the US.

Now the US itself did not have slaves past that time. Up north they even could vote,dont seem very repressive to me.

As for americans being subjugated by LAW yeah thats true. But still its not the same type of subjugation.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join