It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Man Holds a PATENT That Could Crush MONSANTO and Change The World

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

That is all we need is to have this fungus mutate and have it all over the country, spores blowing around in the wind.

They say this doesn't produce spores. So to 'catch it' you probably have to eat it or be bitten by someone that has.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Paul Stamets is a wealth of knowledge and wisdom on mushrooms.. Having done lots of recent research into how vital a role fungi play in creating and sustaining our world - it only seems logical that fungi be the way forward in saving our world...

The cordyceps will not grow out of peoples heads - my partner bought some powdered cordyceps to try and we have both taken some and it has been a couple of weeks now and we are both still very much alive with no shrooms coming out of our heads.....!

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

They say this doesn't produce spores. So to 'catch it' you probably have to eat it or be bitten by someone that has.

lolz Does sound like zombie stuff..

purp.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

I hope this guy's work gets greater recognition and companies like Monsanto get less.

Thanks for your reply. I hope he gets more recognition too. He deserves it for a life dedicated to mycology..

Purp..

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Not quite a good alternative to Monsanto pesticides, as this fungi appears to be self-replicating and having a potential of infecting no-non-desirable insects like bees and others. Because some insects will eat them and be contaminated as result.

Fungi are bacteriological warfare and it gets quickly dangerous when you get down to this. Some fungi may affect other plants, even animals including humans, and they are nasty because at their dormant state are very hard to detect. Bad solution to bad ideas.

If you want real good ways to get rid of pests, do it using plants that repel them, or even better, predator insects that will hunt and kill them. That is the more natural way of doing it.
edit on 8/3/15 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Echtelion

Agree 100 % , hence the star, So how about 'QUORN' the Mycoprotien food now on supermarket shelves etc. Some vegetarians Like it. Others report the Side Kick of such.
1. Dizzyness
2.Migraine
3.BVreathlesness
4.Gastric Problems
6.Puffy Eyes
7. It has Killed a few very Allergic eaters

Check out the FMQ at Micro Biology Labs etc.

Fungi is not the friend some claim it too be.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

originally posted by: Snarl
Sounds like bio-terror.

Scary #!!

If its the cordyceps its worse than bioterror. This fungi gets inside ants takes over the ant make the ant go to the top of a plant then a mushroom grows out of the ants head.

Cordyceps is amazing it has some amazing health benefits too..

purp..

Thats what happenned in the last of us. FUNGUS jumped species and voila human fungus carriers.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

It certainly seems a much safer and cleaner way of dealing with crop pests and i can understand why the big pharm refers to it as disruptive technology

I am a little confused. What is Big pharm??

Did you mean big farm?

The article sounds interesting and promising, but I want them to make sure there are no adverse effects before releasing it upon the entire country.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

No it can not... Have you read the patent. It targets whatever insect is drawn to eating it...which covers about 200,000 species.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I saw a documentary on this species of fungus once. It is the zombie fungus taking control of it's host from the inside out. You may be right that it doesn't effect humans like that but many insects can not be exterminated without exterminating us too. We seldom think of the jobs they do but as with honey bees without them we could be facing some real problems. I hope they push a lot of testing before this is ever made available.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
We were warned by the Japanese back in 1963 - Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People

Matango Movie Review

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I fail to see why you emphasized the singular form of fungi?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Great now it's going to be like Mario or necromorphs oh well

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622
Bees and spiders?, 200,000 species sounds like a pretty broad specktrum..playing with fire I would say. Nature is a balancing act and we have upset the balance quite a bit already.

edit on 8-3-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Why has this guy not put his patent to good use, so far?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
So the secret to not using GMO food is using GMO fungi?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation
a reply to: rickymouse

That is all we need is to have this fungus mutate and have it all over the country, spores blowing around in the wind.

But aren't they going to be spraying this on the crops? I would guess we would be eating the crops. You can't wash wheat or grains very well because they are partially dried when they thrash them. I suppose I could cook the lettuce before eating it.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Fungi have already saved many millions of people of Planet Earth. It's called PENNICILLIN.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

"One Man Holds a PATENT That Could Crush MONSANTO and Change The World"

loveclicks? haha

er..no

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
So how does this not turn us into fugi too?

Funny thing is episode 2 of serial killer tv show Hannibal had a character named Eldon Stammets:

"Stammets found his victims through his job as a pharmacist. After abducting them, he would bury his victims alive but in a drug-induced coma in a shallow grave in the wilderness and plant fungi on top of them. To feed the mushrooms and keep his victims alive, he would inject the victims with sugar water intravenously through catheters and give them air through tubes suspended in nearby trees above ground, long enough for the fungus to eat away any distinguishing characteristics."

hannibal.wikia.com...

Probably was meant as a homage to Paul E. Stamets though I am not sure if this is really doing him a favour. I love what Paul is doing and heartily recommend checking out his books:

Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

I recently started experimenting with growing mushrooms on logs with plug spawn (too early for results yet). If it works it will be a great addition to our off grid efforts. You can order plug spawn through Stamets's Fungi Perfecti site.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join