It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I a bigot?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

I don't think you're a bigot. You're holding true to your own beliefs. People are allowed to have those even if they don't jive with the popular opinion of the day. If anyone was being a bigot, I'm of the opinion it was her for not being respectful of your position and trying to force you into submission by berating you.

big·ot
ˈbiɡət/
noun
a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm personally for marriage licenses for ALL loving couples - regardless of the "this, thats or what have yous". Love is love. Lifetime commitment is a bond between two loving couples. More love in the world? Right on! Go for it!

When it comes to "traditional marriage" would you believe there are some folks in my region who consider my heterosexual marriage "invalid" because I am unable to bear children? Yep. That's right. "Marriage" is for procreation purposes and lineage records only in their eyes, and if I don't bear children, our marriage is considered invalid by their line of thinking. I facepalm just thinking about it.

What a world, what a world.

There is nothing wrong with standing your ground, even if your opinion isn't the "popular one" at the moment.

Vote within the limits of your conscience.
Don't be bullied into submission.

That last statement holds true regardless of what camp one happens to be in.

_______

(*flame away o ye "politically correct" minions of the deep - I've heard worse*)

edit on 3/2/15 by GENERAL EYES because: Formatting - It's the American Way...

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: CranialSponge

The psychological/emotional ramifications is being caused by other people not in acceptance of these types of marriages, not with the loving nurturing parents themselves.

This, just this 100 times.
If people treat your parents like an outcast then of course it is going to have affect on you.

Yes, that's where the harm comes from.

Not because parents are same sex.

Or in my case, a physically disabled parent (a parallel).

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I have no opinion on polygamous marriages, it's not something I'm directly familiar with. Nor has it ever been a topic of discussion that I've ever been a part of. Same sex marriage here hasn't lead to any discussions of allowing polygamous marriages in government parliament, so I think it's safe to say that the 'slippery slope' fear is unfounded.

But living in Canada, seeing same sex marriages and the children being raised by these couples, I'd say these kids are happy, healthy, loving, and well-adjusted... I'm assuming it's because they're being raised in an environment that's become more tolerant to the idea of them having two dads or two moms over these past 10 years.

I recall one instance many years ago when my daughter was in high school, one of her classmates had two moms and one kid attempted to tease her about it and 20+ other kids pounced on the little bugger and put him in his place. My daughter came home and told me of what her and a bunch of other kids did to squash the bigotry/bullying as soon as they saw it happen. I was very proud of her that day.

It tells me a lot about how much our society has changed over the years, even in my own lifetime.

It's become a non-issue for the majority of us in Canada, rather than the other way around like it used to be... and that's a good thing.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

That's good to hear that children are handling the bullying and teasing over it. I guess over time, we will find out what lasting effect, if any, this might have on children being reared under these circumstances. I don't know enough same-sex couples with children to be able to make a sweeping judgment about the pros and cons to tell you the truth.

I have heard a lot of discussion about polygamous unions wanting the same rights. I think the reality TV show "Sister Wives" and the larger religious population that believes in this practice has made the discussion more prevalent here.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
If our government is secular, why are we having this discussion in the 21st century?

The Treaty of Tripoli was unanimous and signed into law in 1797 and stated the following:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims]; and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Mohammedan] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

The USA being a Christian Nation (and inserting "Christian Laws" into the government) is non-sense.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Well... back to the thread's question...

The answer is yes.

The good news is that you may change that perception if you want to... if you don't want to, or won't consider changing, then the thread is moot.

Next...

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So if I'd vote against murder and rape, am I prejudiced against them too?

I had a good chuckle out of that.

You ACTUALLY compared murder and rape to gay marriage?

Oh My Lord.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

"If you keep making fun of me, my dads are gonna rape your dad!"

Ain't NO bullies gonna mess with me!
edit on 2-3-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Exactly. If he is voting for another law abiding group to not do what he can do then that is discrimination.

It's sad that some people can't even recognize their discrimination towards others.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

I would just say. Inter-ratial is not compariable to same sex courtship.

Do i care if i see a black man kissing a white woman? No. Do i care if i see an asian kissing a black person? Nope.

Mix and match people, That's what the female and male organs are for.

But like, Sissory? Or sword fighting? Can't compare sports to love.

Same sex relationships is like a sport.

There's a time and place for such things, And if you do these things in areas when the time or place isn't acceptible. Like say, Playing football in the middle of an intersection, or on the sidewalk of a busy city street.
It's probably not going to be very well receieved. Pun intended.

But yeah, Compariably. Seeing 2 men kiss is as uncomfortable as watching brain surgery. And 2 woman kissing is just weird.

If this offends someone. It's just my honest oppinion.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

But like, Sissory? Or sword fighting? Can't compare sports to love.

Same sex relationships is like a sport.

LMAO!!!!! Do you realize what you just said?

But anyway what does your post have anything to do with gay marriage?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
like i don't hate gay people. It's just. What they do scars my eyes and my mind eternally.

Things that cannot be unseen. It's one of those things. It's all gross to me lol.

Poo.... Ew... lol. Does that make me a homophobe?

My god, If this became the norm. I'd never go outside.
edit on am3u3115Tue, 03 Mar 2015 00:22:15 -0600 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

They can get married, I just don't want to know about it. lol.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

I can understand the ickness factor in watching people kiss in public. I'm a straight man and I always tell straight couples to get a room when they kiss and make out in public. I couldn't care less what ANYONE do in privacy.

But it's good that you DO support gay marriage.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

i feel the exact same way even straight couples getting physical bothers me.

I Don't live a very *romantic* life. So that stuff literally just makes me feel like crap.

And gay people, It's just the Iceing on the cake. Only there is more icing than cake making the product unedible.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnuTyr

They can get married, I just don't want to know about it. lol.

I don't want to know about straight people either.

Or see anything beyond hand holding and a peck on the cheek.

Get a room!

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: ketsuko

Regardless of the government's original intentions as far as marriage goes this is where we stand now. To be honest, it was Christians themselves who got marriage intertwined with government. Funnily enough it is Christians who are the ones trying to change it when they don't like where government is going with it.

Spot on.

You were right in the first place, the state shouldn't be involved except if there is a contract dispute in civil court.

In the same way that religious folk should not be involved if two tax paying adults want to get married!

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

You are only a bigot if you live in the lie of Good and Evil.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: queenofswords
More indepth studies and studies done over longer periods of time should be carried out first, imo.

How can you carry out more in-depth studies if gay people aren't permitted to marry and adopt?

As I said, once marriage is allowed by law, you cannot discriminate when it comes to adoption.

Agreed. And there's no justification for continued discrimination.

Gay couples are raising kids even without the benefit of marriage. There are plenty of opportunities to study this more indepth. We need unbiased factual studies long-term before we can be sure children are not psychologically harmed by this. This is the only issue that concerns me. I am always about children first. That is not discrimination.

IMHO the only "psychological harm" that these kids will suffer is at the hand of bigots who would discriminate against the child for having gay parents. Perhaps we need a "unbiased factual long term study" on the effect religious intolerance has on a child in the home, school and society as a whole. Gays have been around since the dawn of time. Believing in folklore is only a couple of thousands of years old and has had more of an effect on society than any gay issue has!

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Don't forget about the bullying and the kids of divorced parents and many more.

You are right. Religious intolerance DOES harm those kids more than anything else.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join