It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I a bigot?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I was having a conversation the other day with a friend, after we watched a TV program together. We were at first discussing how one of the character s feelings were hurt after their father told them they did not want them being with a white woman. From that my friend jumps to talking about same sex marriage, basically saying whats the difference a between white person and a black person getting married and a same sex couple getting married.

obviously from prior conversations she knows that I don't really support same sex marriage. At this point I am feeling ambushed and not saying much. She then tries to put me in a corner by asking if I would vote to pass same sex marriage. after I told her no. She then calls me a bigot. I told her that I want and I am for same sex couples having the same rights and benefits as hetrosexual couples. I also said I don't know if I see marriage as a right. I view marriage maybe a little differently then some American's. As I view as a priviledge, As your priviledge to find someone that wants to enter this lifetime bond with you. She reiterated again if you don't vote to for same sex marriage your a bigot. At that point I kind of shutdown not knowing what to say.

I have never done anything hateful or done anything discriminatory towards people who are gay or anything like that. now I don't know the working definition of what a bigot is. But I know whats in my heart. I also think its wrong to name call when your trying to have a discussion.

So what does everybody think am I a bigot for not voting to pass same sex marriage?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

No, you're a zygotist.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
People will call you a bigot when your views are not the same as theirs. Sadly that's the way it is now.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

So what does everybody think am I a bigot for not voting to pass same sex marriage?

Yes, you are...

But what's the use in pointing that out since you don't know what the working definition of a bigot is..?

+16 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

In today's social memes, you are now considered a bigot if you do not adhere to the same mindset as the most popular mindset.

You cannot have your own opinion.

You must conform socially.

If you'll just wait a moment, there will be a white panel van arriving at your location. They will expect you to put up a fight. (don't encourage them, they like their tazers)

Soon you will be (after treatment of course) agreeing with everything that is socially popular with the government.

So relax, take a selfie, tweet something insightful. Get started in your new mindset.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I'm where you are on my beliefs. Give them the same legal benefits, but marriage isn't a right for anybody.

Marriage is between a man and a woman and it has been that way in some arrangement since male met female. Trying to equate it miscegenation is false because a black man and a white women (or the inverse) is still a man and a woman.

Now they can call their relationship whatever they want, but don't force me to call it a marriage and don't force my participation. I won't disagree or tell you otherwise in polite company the same way I don't run around telling the world that I think homosexual sex is a sin. I don't run around telling the world that sex out of wedlock is a sin either, but guess what ... it is and if you ask that's what I'd say. Same with divorce unless you are being beaten or abused.

And bigotry very much is a two-way street. Your friend might want to consider that.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

I had thought it was defining someone who was hateful??

For me its one of those words you take for granted.

link   
LoL at you & your friend voting about unimportant social actions taken by strangers.

Labels are a joke.

link   
a reply to: BestinShow

What if you're a bigot for not believing with most of the people who have replied here?

You know because that's how we assign that label now. All you have to do is disagree with the perceived majority.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

As long as you get government benefits (ex: tax breaks) from being married, it isn't a privilege. It's a right. Decouple marriage from the government and then maybe we can talk, but for now all need to be included.

Though restricting privileges is just as bigoted as restricting rights. Why should something as simple as who you love restrict you from a privilege?
edit on 2-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

right I get so frustrated when I hear that argument that a white and black couple is the same as a same sex couple when there are obvious difference's."its the same issue!" no it is not.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

As long as you get government benefits (ex: tax breaks) from being married, it isn't a privilege. It's a right. Decouple marriage from the government and then maybe we can talk, but for now all need to be included.

Though restricting privileges is just as bigoted as restricting rights. Why should something as simple as who you love restrict you from a privilege?

No, sorry, government can only confer privileges. What government gives, it can also take. Those are not rights. Rights are what you have intrinsic to your person and they impose no obligation on anyone else in order for you to have them. Government cannot confer them, only oppress them.

As someone who claims to be libertarian, I'm surprised you don't already know this.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Marriage is overrated anyway

Honestly, people would protest how "interracial marriage" was such a "god-awful" thing and should NOT be legal.
It reminds me of the protests going on now, in regard to how "same-sex marriages" are "god-awful" and should NOT be legal.

Both are nonsense! It's the same issue, different era.

~Sovereign

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I agree, equal protection under the law requires it.

Though, I would argue that your use of the word 'right' is misplaced.

Unions are allowed to commit acts of violence against competing workers.

I, on the other hand, am denied the very useful tool of committing acts of violence against people who threaten my livelihood by offering to provide competing services for less money.

Would you call that a 'right' that has been denied me?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

big·ot
ˈbiɡət/
noun
noun: bigot; plural noun: bigots

a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

Sounds like she's being a bigot towards you.

link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
I view marriage maybe a little differently then some American's.

I guarantee you that there are a million different "views" of what marriage is. Why should you have a say over anyone's marriage but yours?

I have never done anything hateful or done anything discriminatory towards people who are gay or anything like that.

Voting against a group being able to take advantage of a legal institution IS discriminatory.

Krazyshot's post says it all.

link   

I'd say your views are archaic and you're clearly prejudiced against gay couples... maybe bordering on being a bigot.

Meh, who cares.

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

As a Libertarian, I see that marriage confers certain benefits from the government. I see that the person you love should not be a barrier to these benefits. This is regardless if you label marriage a right or a privilege. At the end of the day, the government can't deny a benefit to someone for an arbitrary reason.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

I'd say you are comparing apples to oranges here. You are a person and a union is a labor organization. It falls under different rules and guidelines by the nature of it not being human.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I see it as marriage as a title. Like I said I want same sex couples to have all the same rights and benefits and all that jazz.

now are you prepared to have a discussion about a title??

then if so were talking about something that fits the parameters for said title.

I can't title myself as a "girl scout" can I?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join