It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Lawmaker: Bitcoin is a CIA Conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

A lawmaker from the Liberal Democratic Party of Russia is speaking out against bitcoin and other digital currencies on the grounds the technology is part of a US plot to undermine the country’s efforts internationally.

Russian Lawmaker: Bitcoin is a CIA Conspiracy

"All these cryptocurrencies [were] created by US intelligence agencies just to finance terrorism and revolutions.” It may be used for that purpose, but that doesn't mean the CIA/NSA created Bitcoin, but I understand how some people would think that.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This is not new speculation.

Bitcoin confirms it's NSA/CIA origins, tries to scrub the record

Satoshi Nakamoto, creator of Bitcoin, is an alias for CIA/NSA team?

Did the NSA ‘create’ Satoshi Nakamoto?

Satoshi Nakamoto can be loosely interpreted to be "Central Intelligence" in Japanese.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: mister.old.school

Or perhaps, just perhaps. It's just coincidence.

Satoshi is a common Japanese first name. It means "Clear headed" or "quick witted".

Nakamoto means "Born of the middle" or "centrally located". It is also a very common Japanese family name, particularly in the Ryukyu Islands.

It's a reach to say his name is a play on the words "Central Intelligence". In fact, the name Satoshi doesn't reference "intelligence" at all. But rather someone of clear mind and quick wits, ala "street smarts".

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Precisely why I stated the name could be "loosely" translated.

However, there are several reasonably reliable sources indicated knowledge of a CIA program operating under the internal code name of Satoshi Nakamoto. Additionally, there are/were other security options available than SHA-256 hash, which was chosen for BitCoin.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Ah yes, sorry I just get all prickly when it comes to Japanese etymology. I agree that there COULD possibly be a connection between BitCoin and Government agencies. Perhaps Nakamoto created the concept, and it was quickly hijacked as a means to an end, or perhaps he was complicit in the whole thing. Regardless, Nakamoto is certainly a real person with his own motivations and desires. Whether he sold his idea to the alphabet agencies or not is up for debate, of course. But I don't think Nakamoto is "created" persona, at least.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I like the idea of have an independent currency. But i am old fashioned. I want something in hand. I don't want all i worked for to disappear with the swipe of a button because it is all virtual.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: roth1

Or how about the other end of the coin - having someone who becomes extremely wealthy by the "creation" of the currency out of thin air.

Oh wait, that's what the Fed already does.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

Russian paranoia was much better during the cold war.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Awe yes, the cold war, those were the good ol'days. When
the KGB was gunning down people in Red Square... wait...
...wasn't some dude shot near the Kremlin the other day?
Anywho, let me ask you this: what is the fair market price for Bitcoin?

www.coindesk.com...

Recently launched by ALFAcoins, the ALFAquotes Fair Bitcoin Price indicator aims to illuminate what it considers the true value of bitcoin by factoring for the cost of bitcoin mining, or the production of the commodity itself. ALFAquotes contends, while most bitcoin traders are buying and selling bitcoins for $259.46, the fair price is roughly double that, at $518.59.

edit on 3-3-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

ATS should consider to filter news from Russia to another subforum.

It can be called "Other news from Mordor" or may be " What CIA plotting when not dealing with Mordor"

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

No clue.. fair market pricing would be based on popularity, supply and demand.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Or perhaps, just perhaps. It's just coincidence.

Satoshi is a common Japanese first name. It means "Clear headed" or "quick witted".

Nakamoto means "Born of the middle" or "centrally located". It is also a very common Japanese family name, particularly in the Ryukyu Islands.

It's a reach to say his name is a play on the words "Central Intelligence". In fact, the name Satoshi doesn't reference "intelligence" at all. But rather someone of clear mind and quick wits, ala "street smarts".

Wonder why they didn't just name it pretty good coin?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Interesting and I wonder if this new presents a good buying opportunity?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Slickinfinity

Being the thread is about a year plus old doubtful... I am curious though how many rubles it takes to buy a bitcoin though.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Up 2.42 percent just the last few hours.

www.coindesk.com...

Has a recent pattern of rising bottoms.
Not sure what drives the price, if its supply and demand the supply is very limited.

Disclaimer:

If you worked your credit card through PayPal I think you would have to pay the 3.9% international fee when you sell?

edit on 1-2-2016 by Slichter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Yeah, lately Russian propaganda just doesn't seem to match up to their heyday of their Soviet Cold War days.

Somethings lacking.

top topics

join