It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Adds Gender Options to Users: "Fill in the blank"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Cuervo

Only if you think there is no soul and we are solely our chemicals, but if you believe that, then all 58 genders are merely problems when there should just be two - XX and XY. After all, sex evolved for one reason and one reason only - to make sure our genes get passed on to the next generation. That makes all these other genders aberrations and I don't think anyone wants to go there.

Now I'm not saying anything about what psychologies are or not anything, but could it just be possible that our psychologies tend to be individual in nature?

And then we are left with two biological genders - XX and XY?

This greatly simplifies things in terms of not dividing us even further in a world that's already too subdivided as it is.

Life would be awesome for everybody if that were true and biology expressed itself 100% of the time. Unfortunately, it's not. Gender is not there for the sole purpose of reproduction, either; it also helps to paint a tapestry of culture that extends beyond the boundaries of utility.

But, let's say that's true and there are no other reasons for gender other than reproducing. Where does that leave the people who do not help fulfill that purpose? Some people can't have children yet they have a gender. Why should they even have a gender in that case? Should women cease to be called female after they reach menopause? Should men with testicular cancer be revoked of their man card after they have their testicles removed? If you say "no, because their chromosomes still say they are male or female" then that negates your original argument. I've yet to see a woman get impregnated with chromosomes.

All of the reasons that are used to go against science and say that gender is a simple binary concept are self-defeating. If there are so many opinions on "this is what makes you a man or woman, not that", then eventually we end up with so many "this" and "that" where you have to admit it's no one thing that defines it but a mess of several biological markers. It's not procreation, it's not your penis or vagina, it's not your hormones, it's not chemistry, etc. It's all those things and more.
edit on 27-2-2015 by Cuervo because: spellinz

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Hello Facebook, I'm a reclusive inbetweener without a weiner. I finally saved enough money to finally get that operation! Would it be alright to post naked pictures on how my procedure turned out? I almost didn't make it to my appointment because I was too busy playing farmville. I'll start a kickstart campaign for the boobs next week. The beauty of it all is I can promote through facebook and get the party started on my kickstart campaign. Toodles!

Sincerely Mandingoling.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I guess I had it easy growing up.
Jeez Louise.

I was not subject to traditional gender initiatives in my home and my parents let me have both boys and girls toys (as well as gender neutrals) to explore my brains preferences as it wished. My father even went so far to call me "kid". Not this is my "son" or this is my "daughter" but - hey - this is my "kid".

I kinda dug that.

It wasn't until public school I learned about "traditional" sexual roles and expectations from my peers. What a pain in the butt that whole experience was. Just because I was born with a certain set of reproductive organs it doesn't dictate how my brain operates.

Gender bias eludes me in it's rationale....but so do a lot of things on that level.

For what it's worth I guess I would qualify as a Multi-Spirit because I have both a male and female mental dynamic as well as a completely asexual component running around up in there. Plus a Martian. And a European. And a Reptilian. And both a short and mid-height Gray. (And one dude who refuses to talk about himself because the rest of us just tick him off.) And that, my friends, is being as uber-minimalist as my time will allow on personal disclosure.

But whatever the case we all accept this physical housing and the experiences we've had while in it. No change needed.

I think it's all fine and well if someone was a multi-sexual pan-dimensional gender before they came to this world in humanoid form, but really - some drama kings and queens just need to get over their "uniqueness of previous lifetimes" and live the way the genetic cards played out in this lifetime and this incarnation. It's called adaptation. Learn from it. Live with it. Some of the kiddos out there are pure evolutionary nightmares...not because of how they self-identify - but more so because they never shut the hell up about it and whine and complain and sling insults at every damn turn.

Most of the kids who "other-identify" whom I read personal testimonials about offsite aren't doing this for anything other than "Special Snowflake Syndrome". They want the attention it draws to them. They crave the attention it draws to them. They feed off it it as a form of self sustaining nourishment. That's not gender dysphoria - that's another psychological issue probably stemming from abandonment issues.

But I digress...

Some hyper-vocal "SSS" kids are giving genuine cases of balanced individuals experiencing severe gender dysmorphia issues choosing to undergo transitions a bad name. The exceptional cases are being lumped in with the severely dissociated "i don't know who the hell I am so I'll try everything until i am loved and accepted unconditionally even though I lack any comprehensive moral character" types.

Most of the "SSS" kids will just keep jumping back and forth and into hitherto unknown realms of body modification every single time the novelty of their new form wears off....but that's another thread in and of itself and please don't get me started on that one because it will never end.

Pardon me.
Those damn kids are on my lawn again.
*grabs a high powered garden hose*

edit on 2/28/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting - maintaining clarity for easy reading is my curse

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The fill-in-the-blank choice would work for me. More than three choices confuses me. I too don't get why they didn't just do that in the first place. Probably because their either needed the publicity or were conducting an experiment.

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Caught you.
a reply to: MarieRose

Mmmhmm.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Only XX or XY?
That would be nice if it were true.

www.isna.org...

“Intersex” is a general term used for a variety of conditions in which a person is born with a reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn’t seem to fit the typical definitions of female or male.

Or a person may be born with mosaic genetics, so that some of her cells have XX chromosomes and some of them have XY.

How common is this?

Not XX and not XY one in 1,666 births
Klinefelter (XXY) one in 1,000 births
Androgen insensitivity syndrome one in 13,000 births
Partial androgen insensitivity syndrome one in 130,000
births Classical congenital adrenal hyperplasia one in 13,000 births
Late onset adrenal hyperplasia one in 66 individuals
Vaginal agenesis one in 6,000 births
Ovotestes one in 83,000 births
Idiopathic (no discernable medical cause) one in 110,000 births
Iatrogenic (caused by medical treatment, for instance progestin administered to pregnant mother) no estimate
5 alpha reductase deficiency no estimate
Mixed gonadal dysgenesis no estimate
Complete gonadal dysgenesis one in 150,000 births
Hypospadias (urethral opening in perineum or along penile shaft) one in 2,000 births
Hypospadias (urethral opening between corona and tip of glans penis) one in 770 births
Total number of people whose bodies differ from standard male or female one in 100 births
Total number of people receiving surgery to “normalize” genital appearance one or two in 1,000 births

Then everyone remembers this story abcnews.go.com...

Honestly, imo, we should be beyond having to even enter our sex/genders for social media. Or it should simply be an optional fill in the blank. If someone wants it to be known, then let them. There only reason it's there is data mining, plain and simple.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

I'm assuming you don't know any Transgender people, else you wouldn't be making such bigoted statements. Or perhaps you do know someone, but pass off their gender identity issues as just some "Mental Illness".

Look, I know it rocks your worldview, but sometimes having a penis is not the only thing makes a person male. Or vice-versa. Most transgender people I know have known they were wrong sex since about age 3 or 4. No amount of "therapy" or "religion" will ever make them feel comfortable in their own bodies. Imagine that you wake up one day, and you find you're suddenly in the body of a person of the opposite sex. Are you by default that sex now and forever, or would you continue to insist that you are your CORRECT sex, despite what your body looks like?

P.s No 3yr old thinks about stuff like that and anyone that believes they do is stupid. Even transgender people have agreed with me on this and they said their theory was that people just say that to legitimise it. Are you so old that you can't remember being that age or did you just not even think about it? Kinda shows how gullible you are and that you're very easy to deceive...

Also, I asked some people why cant they just choose between female and male when signing up and they said "if you identify as female you would choose female and vice versa" so obviously my post that you edited so you could take my words out of context was not ignorant as you claimed it was. Seems to me you were the ignorant one...and likely to be a liar since you edited my post so you could...

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Why wouldn't it make you black? If you've felt you were black since childhood, acted in such a manner, and even got surgery to become black, why WOULDN'T you be black?

The same applies to gender. Thanks for making my arguments easier. I'll stop responding to you now. I don't have time to waste on responding to people who are obviously trolling, or living in the 1800's.

Ever heard of genes? Well theres those things, you might wanna google it or something. Could look up chromosomes while your at it unless you'd like to continue bathing in ignorance and believing surgery, dellusion etc can turn someone into a differant sex.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Caught you.

No idea what wtf you're talking about. Care to elaborate or were you just having one of your paranoid dellusion episodes? Ill assume your refering to your dellusions about me giving myself stars. In that case you didnt catch me at all cause I didnt. There is no reason to even do that...lol.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

What does make sense to me is that your profile was created on the same day as Marie Rose, and you just happen to have the same opinion, and a very similar writing pattern.

a reply to: Dasrobot

Wow you really are a paranoid scitzophrenic? My account was not created on the same day, Please learn to read and take your meds. LOL.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I really don't care about gender, if you are male, female, trasngender that's fine, it doesn't effect me.

The one thing that does bother me are the asshole who over think their gender identity, then consider you a bigot if you fail to correctly identify them as the five different labels they've identified as.

If the waiter comes up and says "who ordered the potatoes" you can't say "she did" or they will consider you a bigot lol. You have to say "the two spirited, gender fluid, non-binary, asexual to my left".

If you personally want to identify as those things, that's fine, but I'd rather not be your friend if I have to walk on egg shells, while also jumping though rings of fire, while balancing spinning plates on my nose. It's to much of a hassle to cuddle their irrational sensitivities IMO. I won't bully you, or be a jerk, I'd just prefer if you made friends with someone with more patience, cause I'm not interested.
edit on 4-3-2015 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Ahhh the golden days of humanity are long gone... when life use to be simple.

You were either a Male, or a Female...

Damn, what changed??!

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
If gender identity has nothing to do with genitalia, why have your genitalia altered if you feel like you are the wrong gender?

Also, we get mixed signals from society about gender roles. On the one hand, we are told that playing with dolls/playing with trucks should NOT be strictly assigned to a specific gender (which I agree with). On the other hand, we are told that when a child chooses one of those behaviors but isn't from the gender typically associated with that behavior, they are probably transgender. Which is it? Do gender identities NOT influence behavior, or do they?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=19060649]GENERAL EYES
I think it's all fine and well if someone was a multi-sexual pan-dimensional gender before they came to this world in humanoid form, but really - some drama kings and queens just need to get over their "uniqueness of previous lifetimes" and live the way the genetic cards played out in this lifetime and this incarnation. It's called adaptation. Learn from it. Live with it. Some of the kiddos out there are pure evolutionary nightmares...not because of how they self-identify - but more so because they never shut the hell up about it and whine and complain and sling insults at every damn turn.

Most of the kids who "other-identify" whom I read personal testimonials about offsite aren't doing this for anything other than "Special Snowflake Syndrome". They want the attention it draws to them. They crave the attention it draws to them. They feed off it it as a form of self sustaining nourishment. That's not gender dysphoria - that's another psychological issue probably stemming from abandonment issues.

I think you nailed it. The special snowflake syndrome is so weird. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy of oppression. They create these extremely unique identities for themselves, then act as if the word is oppressing them if they don't go along with it. In realty most people don't know that non-binary, multidimensional genders exist. I'm just not willing to put the energy into satisfying their needs. It feels pointless. Consider yourself what you want, just leave me out of it.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

That is a weak and flawed argument. Just because you "feel" different doesn't make you different. I am norwegian and we are pretty open minded about this stuff. I am quite unjudgemental because as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, why care? But stupid people and stupid comments annoy me.

Rose is right, you are what you are born with. Having a sex change does not change who you are, only how you appear. Calling yourself something other than what you are by birth does not change who you are either. These are identities.

I joined reddit a while ago an learned a phrase I like. "Special snowflake". Everyone wants to be unique because just being another brick in the wall isn't so fun.

You mentioned something about a mental disorder. Many of these things are mental disorders. It is one thing to be confused about who you are on the inside, but dont come here telling me you identify yourself as some sort of animal. The line between an actual identity crisis and idiocy is not very thin, but it is very clear which is which.

The only reason why I am writing this (because I dont really care to take part in the thread) is your rude comments. Just because someone does not agree with you or the popular belief does not make their opinion any less valid than yours. Grow up.

Takker og bukker

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join