It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Adds Gender Options to Users: "Fill in the blank"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
*shakes head*

How simple could it be.

XX
XY

There are genetically ONLY two gender types in the human race.

MALE/FEMALE

*walks away*

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Most people with a brain can figure out how to use a different IP address

Sorry if i sound rude,but even if i knew how to switch IP adress, do you really think i would waste time doing it for "OMG someone doesnt share the same point of view as mine, i must create sock puppets accounts to prove him wrong"

dont be ridiculous, seriously.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I didn't see any rabbit or bunny references.

Bunch of damned bigots if you ask me.

Haters!

Sorry Beezzer. What pronoun would you prefer? "Buck" and "doe" are the common ones for rabbits but I don't want to put you in a box (with air holes, of course).

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: beezzer
I didn't see any rabbit or bunny references.

Bunch of damned bigots if you ask me.

Haters!

Sorry Beezzer. What pronoun would you prefer? "Buck" and "doe" are the common ones for rabbits but I don't want to put you in a box (with air holes, of course).

Fluffy.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dasrobot
But it doesnt make any sense.
I mean, seriously, its like some people got stuck to the "lets play pretend" level...

I mean, very seriously, there is only two genders, 3 if you consider hermaphrodite a gender.

Part of it is the generation of "We're all special snowflakes" coupled with the intense coddling that seems to happen on the internet hugboxes of facebook/reddit/tumblr/etc.

I am a total advocate for transgender rights, I've known more than a few people who were stuck with the wrong sex and I feel for them. They genuinely seems to me to be a female stuck in a dude's body, or vice-versa.

I've had transgender roommates, and they were honestly just another one of the girls. But I struggle to understand why someone would put "genderqueer intersex MTF bronyfluid dragonkin" as their gender. I really try to be openminded and accept people for who they are, but I do admit I have my own struggles with what some may see as bigotry.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I'm a male who happens to be a lesbian.

Is there an option for that?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: rupertg

Yeah. You would be a transwoman. That whole "lesbian trapped in a man's body" is actually real. I used to joke about it with my wife until she realized I was serious.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: rupertg

Are you a female trapped in a man's body that is also lesbian?

If so, you're MTF Transgender, and gay.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

There are two genders in the same way there are only two heights. Limiting it to male/female is like limiting it to tall/short. There are a range of heights that run between tall and short. Add in a third dimension of width into this analogy and you may better understand the robust nature of gender psychology and the depth of gender biology. Brain, hormones, genitalia, etc. They are all contributors to a "gender". Our lizard brains want to keep it simple but it's simply not.

as far as i know, transgenders suffer from a psychopathology, even if i agree with you on the concept of tall/short.
Considering the fact sexual dimorphisms behaviors are often often linked to a dimorphism already present in utero, there is still TWO genders, not 3, not 4 ot 11, you cant be a toaster, you cant be a penguin or a cat from the Zorglax dimension, because in the end, you're still you, with a penis/or a vagina, even if you deny it and pretend to be a girl/boy

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dasrobot

There are two genders in the same way there are only two heights. Limiting it to male/female is like limiting it to tall/short. There are a range of heights that run between tall and short. Add in a third dimension of width into this analogy and you may better understand the robust nature of gender psychology and the depth of gender biology. Brain, hormones, genitalia, etc. They are all contributors to a "gender". Our lizard brains want to keep it simple but it's simply not.

as far as i know, transgenders suffer from a psychopathology, even if i agree with you on the concept of tall/short.
Considering the fact sexual dimorphisms behaviors are often often linked to a dimorphism already present in utero, there is still TWO genders, not 3, not 4 ot 11, you cant be a toaster, you cant be a penguin or a cat from the Zorglax dimension, because in the end, you're still you, with a penis/or a vagina, even if you deny it and pretend to be a girl/boy

You start out sounding like you understand something but then you imply that gender is determined by genitalia. That's simply not true. If it's genitalia, then what are chromosomes for? If it's just chromosomes, then what are hormones for? If it's just hormones, then what are white matter vs grey matter differences for? If it's just grey or white matter, then what is default expression for?

Gender is a huge mess of things wrapped up in a pink or blue bow. The problem is the selection of bows, not what's in the box.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

The biggest question here should not be why there are so many to choose from, or why they should be "allowed" to decide for themselves, any one of the many other pointless and stupid arguments people here have about this. The real question is WHY DO ANY OF THESE PEOPLE CARE?

To those who seem to be so fascinated or outraged by the notion of others being able to do this, unless you are the one having to think about this, what business is it of yours to question how someone else identifies? What business is it of yours to dictate the life and choices of someone else? What business is it of yours to even be contemplating what is "right" or "wrong" when none of this has any bearing on your life at all?

The funniest thing is, a lot of these ignorant people probably preach about liberty, when it's their liberty. Heaven forbid you just let other people live their lives without judgment and without attacks.

If this bothers you in any way, you have psychiatric problems.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: MarieRose
I don't get it why can't transgender choose between male and female?

Thanks for sharing your confusion. Some of us get it, some don't. You don't.

No, we get it. There are two camps.

The brain trumps biology camp which is why we now have 58 different genders.

And the biology trumps brain camp which is the one that has two genders based on XX and XY.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And the biology trumps brain camp which is the one that has two genders based on XX and XY.

Your brain isn't a part of biology?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: ketsuko

Your brain isn't a part of biology?
Some would insist your brain is simply driving around this fleshy sack of organs and bones we call a body. So maybe they ARE separate.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
58 gender types, plus "other".

Can we possibly confuse this issue even more?

Who is it confusing to?

A transgender felt the need. I'll go with the source of personal experience.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Only if you think there is no soul and we are solely our chemicals, but if you believe that, then all 58 genders are merely problems when there should just be two - XX and XY. After all, sex evolved for one reason and one reason only - to make sure our genes get passed on to the next generation. That makes all these other genders aberrations and I don't think anyone wants to go there.

Now I'm not saying anything about what psychologies are or not anything, but could it just be possible that our psychologies tend to be individual in nature?

And then we are left with two biological genders - XX and XY?

This greatly simplifies things in terms of not dividing us even further in a world that's already too subdivided as it is.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Now i can finally become a plant.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

I suppose if you think hard enough ... You can.

And Facebook added that option for you to fill in your identification, too.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I tried to change it to plant but it didn't work. So i just left it at Two-Spirit cuz it sounds cool.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
There are not 58 genders. There are 2 genders. But there are several Gender Identities.

According to Facebook, there are 58 Gender Identities. Notice, however, that most are repeated many times. List Here But the vast majority come down to male, female or something involving a state in between.

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
Agender,Androgyne, Androgynous, Bigender, Cis, Cisgender, Cis Female, Cis Male, Cis Man, Cis Woman, Cisgender Female, Cisgender Male, Cisgender Man, Cisgender Woman
Female to Male, FTM, Gender Fluid, Gender Nonconforming, Gender Questioning, Gender Variant, Genderqueer, Intersex
Male to Female, MTF Neither Neutrois Non-binary Other Pangender Trans Trans* Trans Female Trans* Female Trans Male
Trans* Male Trans Man Trans* Man Trans Person Trans* Person Trans Woman Trans* Woman Transfeminine Transgender Transgender Female Transgender Male Transgender Man Transgender Person Transgender Woman Transmasculine Transsexual Transsexual Female Transsexual Male Transsexual Man Transsexual Person Transsexual Woman Two-Spirit

These are simply words for people to play with. They're on Facebook. They're playing. That's what a LOT of social media is. A game. Be whoever you want. Show everyone what you think and feel. Expose yourself. Express yourself however you want.

How ANYONE could be "bothered" about that is a puzzle to me. Why would anyone care? It's a game of words. No one is being hurt by this.

The only possible reason I can think people would be bothered is that they simply don't like people who are "different" and need to feel superior to them or something.

Regarding the brain as a sex organ. The Brain: The Other Sex Organ

Reduced to its most basic structures, the brain is a gland. The brain secretes hormones that control sexual processes... The brain has receptors for the sex steroids—progesterone, estrogen, and testosterone—secreted by the gonads, and it will respond to these signals, so the gonads modify the brain and vice versa (3). Even in utero, testosterone, or lack thereof, controls the formation of the brain. The activation of the SRY gene on the Y-chromosome causes the development of the testes, which then release testosterone in the fetus. This surge of testosterone masculinizes the brain, causing the observable differences in the adult brain (4)

Sorry, I don't have the patience that you have, cuervo, but I admire you for having it. Education is the answer, absolutely. I get pissy when I suspect that people are being willfully ignorant.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join