It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Adds Gender Options to Users: "Fill in the blank"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Above the everyday political debate comes this story
about gender identity:

Facebook users who don't fit any of the 58 gender identity options offered by the social media giant are now being given a rather big 59th option: fill in the blank.

"Now, if you do not identify with the pre-populated list of gender identities, you are able to add your own," said a Facebook announcement published online Thursday morning and shared in advance with The Associated Press.

Facebook software engineer Ari Chivukula, who identifies as transgender and was part of the team that made the free-form option, thinks the change will lead to more widespread acceptance of people who don't identify themselves as a man or woman.

"We're hoping this will open up the dialogue," Chivukula said.

abcnews.go.com...

I have many transgender friends, anyone what to discuss
the issue of gender, the forum is now open.

edit on 27-2-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
58 gender types, plus "other".

Can we possibly confuse this issue even more?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

58 words for genders, not 58 genders.

They missed 'Poonhound'.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Facebook is all about self-expression. If someone wants to say they're a "gay female giraffe with rodent tendencies and an army boot fetish", who gives a crap? If there are already 58 types to choose from, I don't see a problem with opening it up to infinity.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I don't get it why can't transgender choose between male and female?

For example you got one of those weirdos that was born a male but thinks they are female, even though it's ridiculous and not true why don't they just choose female?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarieRose

Thanks for sharing your confusion. Some of us get it, some don't. You don't.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Wow. This might be the most ignorant response to a post I've seen in awhile. I think the theme of the site is to DENY ignorance, not to bathe in it.

a reply to: MarieRose

edit on 27-2-2015 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2015 by Atsbhct because: Spelling.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
wouldn't it be better, code wise to remove all 58 and just leave a blank space to fill in?
also i need to look up what they are because that sounds insane

for those wondering here they are
Agender,Androgyne, Androgynous, Bigender, Cis, Cisgender, Cis Female, Cis Male, Cis Man, Cis Woman, Cisgender Female, Cisgender Male, Cisgender Man, Cisgender Woman
Female to Male, FTM, Gender Fluid, Gender Nonconforming, Gender Questioning, Gender Variant, Genderqueer, Intersex
Male to Female, MTF Neither Neutrois Non-binary Other Pangender Trans Trans* Trans Female Trans* Female Trans Male
Trans* Male Trans Man Trans* Man Trans Person Trans* Person Trans Woman Trans* Woman Transfeminine Transgender Transgender Female Transgender Male Transgender Man Transgender Person Transgender Woman Transmasculine Transsexual Transsexual Female
Transsexual Male Transsexual Man Transsexual Person Transsexual Woman Two-Spirit

Not sure what the * is about, i didn't read the end of the article to see the specifications.
Honestly reading them all i am torn between "whatever" and "get the F outta here!"

edit on 27/2/2015 by IShotMyLastMuse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

No problem, you're welcome. Return the favor and answer the question or are you confused?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

1. Female
2. Male
3. Transgendered.
4. Trans male to female
5. Trans female to male
6. Trans post op
7. Trans pre op
8. Reptilian
9. Venusian
8. Small grey.
9. Tall white
10. Pickle.
11. Gherkin.
12. Pickle - androgynous

......and so on to infinity.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

eheh i re edited and included ALL of them
(don't judge i am reinstalling battlefield 3 and i have time to spare)
some of them i get, others...well come on at some point you have to assume they are making this crap up to cope with god knows what kind of issues

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Wow. This might be the most ignorant response to a post I've seen in awhile. I think the theme of the site is to DENY ignorance, not to bathe in it.

Its simple if you have a penis you're male and if you have a vagina you're a female. Simple! Doesn't matter how f**cked in the head you are: penis = male, vagina = female and both = hermaphrodite. No amount of dellusion or surgery will ever change this!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Oh and good job removing the rest of my post, you know the part that actually mattered.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Ohhhh, Two-spirit. I'd pick that one. Sounds slightly fairytale-esque. The spirits I'd choose? Wolf-pickle? Wizard-squid? The choices are endless!

But seriously, I had to google this one. It means a Native or Aboriginal person who believes their bodies have Both a male and female spirit or soul. Obviously the transgender conversation has been around for way longer than the stiffs of today have been pretending to be offended by it.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I'm assuming you don't know any Transgender people, else you wouldn't be making such bigoted statements. Or perhaps you do know someone, but pass off their gender identity issues as just some "Mental Illness".

Look, I know it rocks your worldview, but sometimes having a penis is not the only thing makes a person male. Or vice-versa. Most transgender people I know have known they were wrong sex since about age 3 or 4. No amount of "therapy" or "religion" will ever make them feel comfortable in their own bodies. Imagine that you wake up one day, and you find you're suddenly in the body of a person of the opposite sex. Are you by default that sex now and forever, or would you continue to insist that you are your CORRECT sex, despite what your body looks like?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It wouldn't surprise me at all if you created another profile, RosaMaria, to star your own post here, but who really knows.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

I'm assuming you don't know any Transgender people, else you wouldn't be making such bigoted statements. Or perhaps you do know someone, but pass off their gender identity issues as just some "Mental Illness".

Look, I know it rocks your worldview, but sometimes having a penis is not the only thing makes a person male. Or vice-versa. Most transgender people I know have known they were wrong sex since about age 3 or 4. No amount of "therapy" or "religion" will ever make them feel comfortable in their own bodies. Imagine that you wake up one day, and you find you're suddenly in the body of a person of the opposite sex. Are you by default that sex now and forever, or would you continue to insist that you are your CORRECT sex, despite what your body looks like?

Your sex organs define your sex...lol. Nothing will ever change that.

So lets say I really feel like Im a black person trapped inside a white body, I've felt this way since I was 3 or 4. I act like a black prrson, i think like a black person, I dellude myself into believing Iam black and I even get surgery to change my skin color. That doesnt make me black does it? Exactly...its pretty much the same thing.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
It wouldn't surprise me at all if you created another profile, RosaMaria, to star your own post here, but who really knows.

Paranoid scitzophrenic much? LOL.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Caught you.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Why wouldn't it make you black? If you've felt you were black since childhood, acted in such a manner, and even got surgery to become black, why WOULDN'T you be black?

The same applies to gender. Thanks for making my arguments easier. I'll stop responding to you now. I don't have time to waste on responding to people who are obviously trolling, or living in the 1800's.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join