It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eye In The Sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
A new device for videoing people and equipment in Iraq.

ctv.globetechnology.com...

ST. LOUIS � A robotic airplane called ScanEagle has done more than 1,000 hours of intelligence and reconnaissance work for the Marines in Iraq, its developers said.

It was developed and built by the St. Louis-based defense unit of Boeing Co. and the Washington-based Insitu Group.

Boeing officials said they could not comment on specific ScanEagle missions, but spoke generally of its use.

It travels above insurgent positions and sends real-time video images to Marines on the ground. The unmanned device can relay facial expressions on enemy soldiers, and can transmit in such detail that it shows steam rising from their coffee.

The four-foot-long aircraft has a 10-foot wingspan and can fly up to 15 hours at a time on less than two gallons of fuel, Boeing officials said.

Unmanned aircraft such as ScanEagle are expected to play an increasing role in future battles because the Pentagon sees the planes as an integral part of combat missions. Weapon systems are in the works that will share a common operating language so soldiers, ships, submarines, planes and satellites can share information in a battlefield network.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
what more do they use that we don't hear about?

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by colsislander
what more do they use that we don't hear about?

All you have to do is look & Listen. I've known about the ScanEagle for over a year, if you keep on top of things, this wouldn't come as a suprise.

I like a ScanEagle, its one of my favirite UAV's. I'm glad that our guys are getting this eye in the sky.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
i dont know if they are the same but the makers of the scaneagle have made a uav called the A-160 Hummingbird

The A-160 Hummingbird, a vertical take-off-and-landing UAV, has been designed to fly up to 2,500 plus nautical miles with 30 to 40 hour endurance. Its modular payload design can carry up to 1,000 pounds. The A-160 offers range and endurance unprecedented in the history of helicopter UAV design. It will provide reconnaissance, surveillance, target acquisition, communication relay, precision re-supply, sensor delivery and eventually precision attack capabilities.

i dont know if they are the same i dont think so but have a look the site is www.globalsecurity.org...

reply if this infomation is correct.

Xon

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I have always wonder how the satelits can see tru the skys, Can they see tru buildings then?

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
ngage - No, the A-160 and the ScanEagle are not one in the same. They are very different.

I like the A-160 as well, and I wonder if they will arm it, that would shorten its range and endurance, but it would give the army another option in their playbook.

E_T

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xon
I have always wonder how the satelits can see tru the skys, Can they see tru buildings then?
They can see as well as wavelength used by them is able to penetrate atmosphere/structures/soil.
(clearly atmosphere is transparent for visible light)

Here's some links.
www.eumetsat.de...
outreach.atnf.csiro.au...

top topics

join