It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non-Extraterrestrial UFO Hypotheses

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

Yes.. what if that 'control loop' simply wanted to disrupt our society and disrupt our rational minds?

What if it didn't even want to? What if it's just doing whatever it has evolved to do to make a living?

There's a parasite that spends half its lifecycle in a snail and the other half in a bird that eats snails. The snail species it prefers is photophobic: it avoids direct sunlight and lives out its life mostly in shadow. But the fluke, when it infests a host, changes that behaviour: it makes the snail phototropic, so it is attracted to sunlight and wanders out into the open... where the bird spots it and eats it.

A similar parasite spends half its life inside a bird and the other inside a fish. Sometimes, watching a school of small fish in shallow water, you'll see a flash as one of them bends its body away from the upright position to scratch itself against a stone or some other projecting object on the bottom. It does that because it is itching; it's got a parasite lodged in its scales. But the flash is also a signal to birds in the air above the stream: a signal that says 'here's dinner!' See how it works?

T. gondii lives half the time in mice, half the time in cats. Normal mice are terrified by the scent of cat urine; in fact, the way lab researchers stress mice out is by giving them a Q-tip soaked in cat pee to sniff. But T. gondii-infected mice are attracted to the smell of cat urine, which makes it a lot easier for the fluke to get into the cat, where it wants to be.

Mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn, and they hunt their prey by their infrared signatures. So people with malaria get high fever at dusk and dawn, to make them more visible to the mosquitoes. Isn't nature wonderful?

Have you guys ever thought that your UFOs might be parasites of some kind, or the effects of a parasite infestation?

edit on 23/2/15 by Astyanax because: of itching.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

If you've ever attended a gathering of literalists obsessed with UFOs, the comparison with religious fundamentalism is obvious.

That's true, but you could say the same about a gathering of Batman fans, vegans or model-railway enthusiasts.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: LiveForever8

Science killed God. Science-fiction reinvented him.

The most popular themes in science fiction are all metaphysical. Strange but true.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Dear all, I have some questions:

- Regarding people that see a UFO being more prone to experience other paranormal phenomena also:
Does anyone have a reference of a sound non-biassed non-anecdotal scientific study proving this?

- Regarding certain people being more prone to experience UFOs (and/or other phenomena), because of: a) psychological condition, or b) genetic / abused as a child / born on a 'hot spot' / associated with the military:
Same thing: any reference to a scientific study proving this?

- Regarding Vallée's 'Control system':
Does anybody know whether he (or sb else) set out to test this hypothesis (again: soundly scientifically designed) and what the results were?

Thanks!

Astyanax,
very interesting your point of view on the effect of parasites on behavioural responses and perception of sensorial stimuli. Apart from the infections caused by protozoan and minor invertebrate parasites, I'd like to add the fungi: we haven't seen the last of those yet. Very elusive to isolate in the lab.

Obviously, e.g. the flu or common cold virus making us sneeze and cough is beneficial for it to spread itself to the next person before our immune system kicks in and eliminates it. I wonder what would be the advantage to a parasite making us experience UFOs and/or other phenomena? Or would it be a side-effect of the infection?

Regards.

edit on 23-2-2015 by Agnost because: specify

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

The fact that they most often behave in a manner that no human made craft ever could and of powers far beyond any capacity of humanity.

I know planes and technology and I have experienced UFO, I am intelligent, sane and rational, I use logic and I am certain that at least a percentage of real UFO are the works of non humans.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Agnost

Very elusive to isolate in the lab.

Thinking a bit further on this: luckily we have PCR techniques now.

So, the hypothesis that a parasite causes 'sightings' could be tested: take DNA samples from people who experience UFOs and/or other phenomena (blood, blood from the craneal cavity, tears, saliva, other?...) and from people who don't, run it through a PCR and look for specific bands that are present in the different groups of people.

Wonder who would fund this research, though... Maybe a pharmaceutical company wanting to launch an anti-UFO tablet?
edit on 23-2-2015 by Agnost because: spelling

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   

I wonder what would be the advantage to a parasite making us experience UFOs and/or other phenomena? Or would it be a side-effect of the infection?

As well ask, what is the selective advantage of religion or music?

Both of these are human universals. We may speculate as to their evolutionary utility, but we don't really know why they exist. They are not obviously useful to us, yet we must have evolved them because they are common to all human populations (or nearly all; it's said that the Nuer people of the Sudan were atheists, though their proverb 'May God be far from us' suggests cultural experience of religion).

Perhaps the selective advantage of the UFO phenomenon to the hypothetical parasite causing it is simply unknown to us, but it seems far more likely to me that the phenomenon has no selective advantage in itself, but is a by-product of some other effect that is the true advantage. Or else, the UFO phenomenon is a meme that propagates through the culture because of its own selective potential. In other words, the phenomenon is itself the parasite, propagating itself through the culture by infecting susceptible minds.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I can't speak for 'Vallee's' "disciples", if by that you mean
his hidden college of colleagues, (I can' speak for any
group, I am an individual, and one with low social
status at that),

but your assertion that the liminal nature of reality as
a whole cannot be tested, or is not being attempted to
be tested is purely incorrect. There ARE people attempting
to test all the liminal thesis.

Really, even dark matter/dark energy/aspects of quantum
theory are 'liminal thesis' and quantum theory got us to
the moon.

So shrug your shoulders all you want. But that said,
I understand that the liminal approach is not for
everyone; the best researchers need to have their
neurology screwed askew ten ways to Sunday
to approach things this way, so it's not for everyone,
and I mean no disrespect to someone who doesn't
wish to go down this road.

AND like a skeptic I'd have to say, that much crud
is thrown around under the cover of 'quantum mysticism'
or other limininal approaches and a good dose of
supposedly (it's not) 'hard reality' is always a good
wake-up call.

Kev

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

Yes.. what if that 'control loop' simply wanted to disrupt our society and disrupt our rational minds?

What if it didn't even want to? What if it's just doing whatever it has evolved to do to make a living?

There's a parasite that spends half its lifecycle in a snail and the other half in a bird that eats snails. The snail species it prefers is photophobic: it avoids direct sunlight and lives out its life mostly in shadow. But the fluke, when it infests a host, changes that behaviour: it makes the snail phototropic, so it is attracted to sunlight and wanders out into the open... where the bird spots it and eats it.

A similar parasite spends half its life inside a bird and the other inside a fish. Sometimes, watching a school of small fish in shallow water, you'll see a flash as one of them bends its body away from the upright position to scratch itself against a stone or some other projecting object on the bottom. It does that because it is itching; it's got a parasite lodged in its scales. But the flash is also a signal to birds in the air above the stream: a signal that says 'here's dinner!' See how it works?

T. gondii lives half the time in mice, half the time in cats. Normal mice are terrified by the scent of cat urine; in fact, the way lab researchers stress mice out is by giving them a Q-tip soaked in cat pee to sniff. But T. gondii-infected mice are attracted to the smell of cat urine, which makes it a lot easier for the fluke to get into the cat, where it wants to be.

Mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn, and they hunt their prey by their infrared signatures. So people with malaria get high fever at dusk and dawn, to make them more visible to the mosquitoes. Isn't nature wonderful?

Have you guys ever thought that your UFOs might be parasites of some kind, or the effects of a parasite infestation?

I spent more than a year on the parasite thesis, and yes indeed
there are parasitic elements involved.

I'm a huge fan of (this sounds strange) "Toxoplasmosis" as an
example of parasitic life-cycles.

My 2500 word contribution to Brad Steiger's book even discusses
the 'Kundalini Parasite' effect.

I don't harp on parasites much these days, as it would seem
the major contribution to the UFO phenonemon seems to be
the networked human brains and their interaction with
each other through diverse media, including possibly
one symbiotic life-form, which acts more like AI than
anything.

Also because people confuse parasites with 'demons'
and since 'demons' are a dead-end nearly-non-existent
cultural confusion, I leave the parasite angle alone
these days so as to not encourage aberrant and
misguided behavior on the topic of 'demons'.

Kev

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

I wonder what would be the advantage to a parasite making us experience UFOs and/or other phenomena? Or would it be a side-effect of the infection?

As well ask, what is the selective advantage of religion or music?

Both of these are human universals. We may speculate as to their evolutionary utility, but we don't really know why they exist. They are not obviously useful to us, yet we must have evolved them because they are common to all human populations (or nearly all; it's said that the Nuer people of the Sudan were atheists, though their proverb 'May God be far from us' suggests cultural experience of religion).

Perhaps the selective advantage of the UFO phenomenon to the hypothetical parasite causing it is simply unknown to us, but it seems far more likely to me that the phenomenon has no selective advantage in itself, but is a by-product of some other effect that is the true advantage. Or else, the UFO phenomenon is a meme that propagates through the culture because of its own selective potential. In other words, the phenomenon is itself the parasite, propagating itself through the culture by infecting susceptible minds.

I like your thinking here.

I've been saying for years that humans are part of the life-cycle of
a vast, non-human process. To view it as parasitic or even
symbiotic, either one, is probably not entirely correct.

It's like 'mystical experience'. The largest realization of my entire
lifetime, dealt with this extremely uncomfortable fact:

"at the moment of 'enlightenment' (hatching) it's not the human
which becomes 'transmogrified', but rather a symbiote/parasite
which has been riding inside the human which does, and which
then leaves the human'.

Humans don't become 'enlightened'. That whole 'enlightenment'
thing is a lure, for a 'parasite' to encourage a human to alter
their brain via religious/spiritual neural plasticity, to give it
a home so that it can finish it's life-cycle.

It happened to me. It shattered me for a decade.

So when I play the 'game' of knowing more than I talk about;
it's not a game at all.

Kevin

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

There's something else that needs to be said, though: not all UFOs need be mental or 'psychic' phenomena. Sometimes, the strange things people see in the sky really are there. They may be ordinary things viewed under unusual conditions or they may be genuinely mysterious objects, like Kandinsky's red zigzag UFO (I certainly can't think of any explanation for that one), but they're physically real, and they don't support a psychological explanation.

I get where you are coming from. My general take is that just about all sightings have there basis in reality. Something was probably there and for whatever reason the object caused a reaction in the observer. Could be as simple as that it looked odd. From what I have seen around the forum, the sightings that do turn out to be something explainable are initially met with the same enthusiasm as the ones that are not explained. Whether its ET or a balloon, the psychological reaction is the same. There really is no clear line between what is "real" and what is "psychological".

edit on 23-2-2015 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
More than a million years ago a very advance civilization lived on the planet. For their own reasons they thought it better to live under the earth and the oceans. Some however decided to stay on the surface. To the surface dwellers wars reduced their knowledge to basic human functions of hunting and gathering for the lack of technology and needed machinery.

Meanwhile, those who took to the oceans and underground dwellings continued to advance.

Eventually, the humans on the surface began to advance, yet behind by nearly a million years. Eventually they began to take notice of the strange things happening in the oceans and under the earth. This is where we are today.

Physical adaptions also happened to each. Those under the earth and seas developed larger eyes to see with and thinner bodies due to more powerful modified and refined food sources not requiring a larger stomach or internal organs. The lack of true sunlight caused a dulling of skin texture and a completely hairless body.

Those on the surface produced melanin in their skin to cope with a sometimes brutal sun. They retained some hair to protect vulnerable areas from sunburn. Their eyes became adept to seeing and needed not be large or darkened. They consumed other animals giving need for a more robust digestive system and internal organs.

In support of this hypothesis, we have the under-dweller problems spoken of by alien witnesses, and the activities seen in and under the oceans.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

The term ''spirit'' or ''soul'' could be inserted instead of ''parasite'' which describes a physical creature that feeds from a host.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: KellyPrettyBear
a reply to: All Seeing Eye

Actually one person's "angel or demon" is simply a matter
of choice. This was made very clear after it was realized
that the "Marian apparition" fit poltergeist and UFO models
'better' than a religious explanation.

Kev
It is a choice based in observation and knowledge, hopefully.

This was made very clear after it was realized
that the "Marian apparition" fit poltergeist and UFO models
'better' than a religious explanation.
Realized by who? No matter.

I can go here as well. There was a little gray once who took credit for creating Jesus Christ, and Religion. Really? Oh, no doubt this little gray robot spewed what he was programed to spew, mission after mission. Has it been "Realized" someone had to program him, err, it? "Marian apparition" or "Burning Bush", or "Star of David", or a thousand other apparitions, in my humble opinion what we are actually seeing is Ancient high technology, and its use to control the masses. Teleported hologram anyone?

But why create such a elaborate hoax?? Again, in my humble opinion, religion by its very nature is used to control and divide humanity, because that is what we see in the real world. Before Christianity the major religions wasn't really a religion, it was a love of the Greek and Roman "gods". Don't hear much about them today.. I think maybe it was all a psysop program to help us forget those ancient gods, and their magical toys (technology).

The problem with all of this is it was not a harmless psysop, millions of people have died because of it. The pain and suffering and torture of countless religious wars. How could these "gods" live with themselves knowing what they have caused? They have taken great care to shelter themselves from not just our reality, but our planet as well. How can you seek remedy from people who have covertly hidden their history, but also the location of their residency.

As with any mature person, that person will take responsibility for the things they do, and should have done but didn't. Just as they should take responsibility for the things they say, and the things they didn't say, but should have. That is what a Responsible person, should do. Unless, there is no real remorse, and for some odd reason, they encourage the stage they set. Hmm, maybe more high tech in play?? Avitar, ??

Now I realize I haven't painted a pretty picture of our ancient relatives. But if any of the above is somehow based in a single fact, someone has a lot to explain, and from what I have gathered, that isn't one of their highlights.

The "Star" wars that occurred over 10,000 years ago does not escape me. It must have been fought to some type of truce, with conditions. I suspect one of those conditions was to turn their backs to their "Sons of Man", that being us. And their in lies the answer.

Biblical Lord God, as I gather, was extremely upset that his children, the Sons Of God, had went and created their own "Slaves", worshipers, Sons of Man. So upset that he attempted to wipe them all out, except for those that pledged allegiance to him. Those would remain in the biblical garden of Edin, Shambolia, Agatha, or for those who prefer a more rounded place, the hollow ("Hollowed ground") earth, Nibirue. They were allowed to advance technologically, but not, spiritually. It all has to do with who and what we really are. Those that remained were in essence, required to sell their souls in order to stay, and I can not see a good reason for them not to. Empathy, is the mark of the spirit, anyone remember????

Lord God knew that if another life form came to this planet it would eventually dethrone him, especially if that life form was, free spirited. For free spirited beings can not be controlled like robots... I think President Kennedy's words in his secret society speech are appropriate at this time."Man will be what he was born to be, Free and Independent". And, President Bush's words. "They hate us for our Freedom". Yes, slave owners will always hate when their "Flock" realize they are enslaved, and seek freedom.

I'm not going discuss certain subjects, but I will say, unifying ancient divisions is our only hope...... We were separated for a simple reason. Reunification, can be just as simple.

And yes, those who think of me as a "Simpleton", you are correct. For every complicated math problem can be reduced to simple addition, and subtraction.

edit on 23-2-2015 by All Seeing Eye because: edit to add

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Indeed.

But when the 'spirit or soul' becomes
engorged with power and knowledge
and then leaves after having spent
a lifetime with you - it's quite
disconcerting.

So many people fantasize about
'ascending to escape this world'

only (as far as I know...including talking
to many people)

it doesn't work that way.

'We' live 'here'.

Kev

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

A lot of people worship the Canaanite war/
sky god, thinking that has more relevance
than any other 'god'.

To each their own...but it's grossly off
topic.

Kev

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: KellyPrettyBear

A lot of people worship the Canaanite war/
sky god, thinking that has more relevance
than any other 'god'.

To each their own...but it's grossly off
topic.

Kev

Non-Extraterrestrial UFO Hypotheses
Im afraid the theory I put forth, well, more than just a theory, does in fact fit within the scope of the title of your thread. But instead of calling them "Extra", I call them "Inner". A hidden secret society who posses high technology, to us, but to them, as simple as the nose on you face. A "Canaanite war/sky god" would, and does fit nicely into what we witness. I fail to understand why a named force from the past would not be relevant to your topic. Its not extraterrestrial in nature, is it?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Well the relevance was just my opinion;
I'm not a moderator.

Kev

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join