It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Will Give Half- Million Employees Raises

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
This is good news for Wal-Mart employees, including Sam's club and future employees. Today, Wal-Mart announced that it will be raising the wages of its employees to at least 9 dollars per hour by April of this year. And by February of 2016, all current associates and future associates will earn at a minimum of 10 dollars per hour.

Source

McMillon announced a bold new initiative on pay and training for U.S. associates. Approximately 500,000 full-time and part-time associates at Walmart U.S. stores and Sam's Clubs will receive pay raises in the first half of the current fiscal year.
Current and future associates will benefit from this initiative, which ensures that Walmart hourly associates earn at least $1.75 above today's federal minimum wage, or $9.00 per hour, in April. The following year, by Feb. 1, 2016, current associates will earn at least $10.00 per hour.

Managers throughout Wal-Mart will also see a pay raise. By this summer, some managers will make at least 13 dollars per hour, and by early next year they'll see a wage increase to at least 15 dollars per hour.

(Same source)

We’re also strengthening our department manager roles and will raise the starting wage for some of these positions to at least $13 an hour this summer and at least $15 an hour early next year.  There will be no better place in retail to learn, grow, and build a career than Walmart.

That's great news. Hopefully other businesses can see the benefit to their employees that wage increases provide.

edit on 19-2-2015 by Daedal because: edit

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

I guess the bad press of Walmart's employees having to get food stamps and welfare changed the policy.

To little to late as far as I'm concerned; I'll never shop in Walmart or Sams ever again. Chinese junk!!

Buy American!

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I wonder what this will do to employee turnover. Will they weed out the dead weight people and replace them? Should be fun to see the results.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Fair enough, however, for those people who raise their families and work at Wal-Mart doing so, this will help provide much needed relief.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Managers only make $13 an hour?

What happened to working your way up?

Now managers are at a poverty level.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

It will do nothing to employee turnover.

Due to contrary belief $10 an hour is still garbage especially for a job that only gives you 32 hours a week.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Unfortunately people didn't take that to heart years ago when walmart sold American products.
they didn't buy the radio flyer wagon, they bought the Beijing flyer for less.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I was there yesterday and the cashier hadn't mastered a tooth brush yet. I guess we will see how it turns out.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I appreciate the effort though.

I think the real issue here is the total disconnect between wages and real cost of living.

Maybe upper management is just really that disconnected?

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Oh yeah I'm sure the person working the register is just a total piece of # in your world.

Get off your high horse.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
I wonder what this will do to employee turnover. Will they weed out the dead weight people and replace them?

I dunno

Wal-mart the new post office?

How about Wal-mart man up and give the vast majority of their "under employed" *36 hours a week "full time" employment status with benefits and stop dicking around

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

I wonder what this will do to employee turnover. Will they weed out the dead weight people and replace them?

I dunno

Wal-mart the new post office?

How about Wal-mart man up and give the vast majority of their "under employed" *36 hours a week "full time" employment status with benefits and stop dicking around

Nice to see you posting Slayer.

Yeah i see your point and concur. How about $22-28 an hour for supervisors 2 weeks vacation time a year and 5 days sick with full benefits like the rest of the civilized world?

At a minimum.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
How does that saying go...oh right..

Too little, too late.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Could we please get more whining from people demanding more money for a job that requires absolutely no education, skill, or ability? "I've made absolutely nothing of myself and I demand a raise!". Please.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Sorry if I feel that the lady handling my food should have basic hygiene mastered. Little things like washing her hands after going to the bathroom. She didn't brush her teeth but I'm confident her hands are clean.
That's why they are raising the pay scale, to get a higher quality employee. We will see in time.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Yeah its like they are throwing pennies at a problem that requires millions.

The worst part is upper management is patting themselves on the back.

Its ok the system cant sustain these kinds of wages across the board. Contrary to popular belief all of wages have declined down to $9 an hour jobs across the board. Warehouse jobs that used to pay $20 an hour with experience now pay 12-13 and that is the truth country wide.

Its ok just hold on to your seatbelts because change is inevitable. Its a constant.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Stop judging people you dont know anything about.

Why dont you try a little appreciation next time that someone is willing to work for nothing and help you ring up your groceries and put them in bags for you?

Just watch they will completely phase out that job if you havent noticed.
edit on 2/19/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I haven't read through the entire iniative provided by Wal-Mart, perhaps an outline could be found within it as to what you've suggested about benefits ect...something l also agree with.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Sorry if I feel that the lady handling my food should have basic hygiene mastered. Little things like washing her hands after going to the bathroom. She didn't brush her teeth but I'm confident her hands are clean.
That's why they are raising the pay scale, to get a higher quality employee. We will see in time.

Or perhaps enough money to buy a toothbrush.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Managers only make $13 an hour?

What happened to working your way up?

Now managers are at a poverty level.

That is referring to department managers, not store managers.
That would be a bad deal if it did mean store managers.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join