It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Will Give Half- Million Employees Raises

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: pl3bscheese

We both know there isnt enough room for the bottom half of the economy in the top half.

These jobs are essential to society as a whole they are worth more then what they are getting paid period.

They're so essential, that they will be automated within 15 years, and there's always people applying... supply and demand, buddy.

Stop blaming poor people because they dont make enough money that is a joke.

You're going to have to back up that statement, cause I didn't make it.

Its as simple as this. The greedy family at the top of this company care more about their accounts then they care about anything else.

That's too simple. The truth is that people choose to shop for the lowest prices, and walmart provides them. Don't blame the family who is successful. Blame the idiots who keep applying, fattening up this families checks by shopping there, then complaining after the fact. It's called hypocrisy.

edit on 20-2-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I dont think you have a real understanding of the business practices employeed by this company give me a while to clue you in.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Given that only about 2% of workers earn minimum wage or less your entire premise makes no sense.

How accurate do you think your figures are?

Here is some food for thought:

How would you like to live in an economy where robots do everything that can be predictably programmed in advance, and almost all profits go to the robots’ owners? Meanwhile, human beings do the work that’s unpredictable – odd jobs, on-call projects, fetching and fixing, driving and delivering, tiny tasks needed at any and all hours – and patch together barely enough to live on.

Brace yourself. This is the economy we’re now barreling toward. They’re Uber drivers, Instacart shoppers, and Airbnb hosts. They include Taskrabbit jobbers, Upcounsel’s on-demand attorneys, and Healthtap’s on-line doctors.

source

So it would seem there is a fast growing field of jobs that are paying below minimum wage.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Just watch. I know so many people right now getting CDL's that the trucking industry is going to die soon too just watch.

Think 2 or 3 years ago everyone was saying you have to become a nurse or an HVAC tech. Well guess what now nursing jobs pay $9 an hour and you cant get one in my area anymore unless your mom or dad is an HR manager. Same with the HVAC and IBEW in the area. Its impossible to get in unless your dad is in.

Its a joke man the old idea of an economy is dead we need to transition into a place where people are gaurenteed a basic living because this whole economy is a total shame anyway.

You think capitalism is what built the pyramids and the other monuments around the world? Hell no it didnt.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Its a joke man the old idea of an economy is dead we need to transition into a place where people are gaurenteed a basic living because this whole economy is a total shame anyway.

Your words have the ring of truth to them!!!!

You think capitalism is what built the pyramids and the other monuments around the world? Hell no it didnt.

Agreed!

I think the basics needed for life come from the earth and and should be freely available to all. We should work for the luxuries in life, be that a cell phone, a bottle of fine whiskey, a limo or even a fancy home, etc. As the world needs less workers with new innovative machines taking away the need for labor, the system must be adapted to this situation.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

I have a solution to this but it wont work not even close. Its not even a distant dream, its far far away from that.

My solution is that everyone goes to work tomorrow but nobody accepts the money they try to pay you for it.

That would totally decimate the control of the upper class.

I mean what could anybody do to stop us if we did that? Nothing they would have absolutely no power.

Never never never going to happen.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
]

They're so essential, that they will be automated within 15 years, and there's always people applying... supply and demand, buddy.

With every thing heading for automation, the wealthy elite are digging their own ditch.
Where are they going to get customers to buy their products?

If everything can be automated in the future, then why do we need wealthy business men to run it?
We can take it over and automate their position as well.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

TPTB know time is running out and this is a only a finger in the hole of the dam. We are running out of fingers fast PTB.

I predicted 1 year ago anyone making under 14 dollars an hour will be screwed because of inflationary boundaries. This means you will not be able to afford food,housing,healthcare,cars,insurance,heat,cell phones,water,electricity...etc. This will be reached in the next 1-5 years at the current inflation rates. PTB are holding this back as long as they can by doing many things.

10 year car loans and pushing leases..........Health care reforms that failed........Cheap gas that is also backfiring........Pushing companies to give out raises..........Taking over all school loans. I am sure I missed some but these are all major things TPTB are doing to curb the flood coming.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Also OP this is good/bad news wrapped up in one. Yes it is good for the employes but it is a very bad economic sign for the economy.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Since you did not include ethics and morality, we can also say these are successful people too:

Al Capone
Lloyd Blankfein
A Bank Robber
Barney Madoff

Is successful only defined in terms of wealth in your world view?

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

With the corporations owning the government, I see it unlikely help will come from there.

Those that are working have their debts and need their incomes to live, so I see little chance of their support for a real change.

The poor are being demonized by the press and beat down by LEO's when they protest.

Sadly I really do not see a future for a large part of our population.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad

With the corporations owning the government, I see it unlikely help will come from there.

Those that are working have their debts and need their incomes to live, so I see little chance of their support for a real change.

The poor are being demonized by the press and beat down by LEO's when they protest.

Sadly I really do not see a future for a large part of our population.

You sir are right on the money. The rise of the police state is directly tied to many other things. The only way to keep this country going in the direction PTB want is a police state. The bottom wage earners will not be able to afford to live in the very near future. And the PTB no longer have the money to bail them out. They used that money to pay off banks and corporations.

Look around prices are rising much faster than wages......What happens when this tipping point is reached it is the biggest problem facing the world.
edit on 20-2-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

It wont last long, back in my 20's i worked at a walmart in Mo. They treated people good then, sam was still alive, (met him a few times and went to his house once) But after he died, it started going down hill fast, ad ended up a crappy place to work, has been for a while. Although if you actually worked there, you could make good money, you had to do more than put your time in. I worked there again here i MT about 10 years ago, I started just under $9 a hour, and within 3 years was making $13 a hour. But then they started getting crappy again, cutting hours, firing ones that made to much. I decided to take another job that paid more, and left before it got real bad there.
They will be ok to work for, for 5 or 10 years, then they will go back to crap again. Its a cycle they have done ever since Sam died, when enough bad mouth them and complain, then they pick things up, for a while.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
#TDSBreakingNews Wal-Mart boosts minimum wage to $9/hr. Unfortunately, also boosting an hour to 120 minutes

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I heartily applaud this move! CostCo starts everyone at around $10 an hour, and has for years. They have a more stable, energized, hard-working employee force determined to stay there - and do every little thing they can to benefit corporate and their individual store.

That said, I just wondered why WalMart suddenly did this, when it's been a problem for years and years. Could this possibly be a back-door approach to kill a federal attempt to raise the minimum wage? (Which isn't such a bad thing. Minimum wage is one of those issues probably best handled at a state level anyway.)

WalMart is probably one of the biggest employers (if not THE biggest) in the country, and would be an excellent "test case" to raise wages across-the-board. I used to work in this "Bentonville Bureau", so I'll be watching this closely. All I can say is that better wages (and maybe better hours) are only half the battle. They need better and more responsive managers as well.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I think you would enjoy a deep study of game theory OQ.

I think you are right that that will never happen, but we can design systems that provide incentives that lead to an acceptance of a better system.

Who knows, maybe someday we will be smart enough as a species to use scientific methodology in determining and creating better economic systems. But, even if that does happen, it becomes a matter of creating proper incentives that encourage participation.

Most will defend the status quo until the end, regardless of consequence. The biggest hurdle in creating a better world is ourselves. Most of us hate the idea of someone else getting something more easily than ourselves, even if it means perpetually holding back our progress as a species.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join