It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Will Give Half- Million Employees Raises

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

That's good news, but pitiful increases.

13$ an hour for a department manager?

Good Lord.

Net income of 16 Billion and they pay them that?

Just die WalMart.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

They have everything bass ackwards...

The Customer is number 1.
They pay for everything.

The Employees are number 2
They take care of the customers needs and wants which helps the customer pay for everything.

And profits come in third.

As it stands now, They have high profit with horrible or non existent customer service while providing mostly garbage products *outside of their electronics dept. Underpaid and / or under employed workers who can't make their basic ends meet.

But...

$1.00 more an hour to the rescue...

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Oh Slayer the Electronics are worse my friend.

At least in the PC's, laptops and TV's. Here's the reason why: Crack open any laptop from Walmart and look at the part numbers.

You'll see they all have something strange, a WM or WAL at the end for WalMart. You'll notice the quality of parts is FAR lower, because they have Brand Licensing and aren't actually required to use the same hardware standards.

I'm talking paper thin motherboards etc.

But yeah, I agree with your analysis. They are ass backwards.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I suspect they will be letting go of the dead weight employees whiles expecting more productivity out of the remaining employees.

There is nothing altruistic about this move. I'm sure Wal-Mart got tired of the negative press. However, I suspect the raises still won't be enough to quell the complaints of the commie living wage crowd.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Yes it should be more, to that I agree. But, I don't foresee Wal-Mart going anywhere. This increase will nevertheless help many people to some degree.

Of course many things could be different, but it is what it is.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Oh Slayer the Electronics are worse my friend.

I was feeling generous when I typed that....

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Why does Wal-Mart get so much grief for doing the same thing that McDonald's, Target,Burger King,Taco Bell,Best Buy,Kroger,Ralph's,Olive Garden,Red Lobster,Golden Corral, et al ad nauseum, do?

A vast majority of American companies treat their employees the same way and a lot of them have been doing it for years before Wal-Mart even existed.

However the powerful Unions want all that filthy lucre for themselves and have spent millions and millions on anti Wal-Mart propaganda.

In no way am I defending any unjust employer practices, I'm just pointing out that treating employees badly is epidemic in this country and if the real motivation wasn't money these attacks would be evenly spread around to all of these companies... not just the one that promises the biggest payday.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It's great people are finally getting a raise, but you have to ask a bigger question. If Walmart is "voluntarily" raising pay scales then what is coming down the pike they are avoiding by preemptively doing so??

There has been lots of saber-rattling about raising the federal minimum wage, so just maybe Wally-world knows more about what's going on behind the scenes than we are seeing? By page two I'd expected some of the ATSers to have already been on to this!!

Other than that, I think it's fantastic the clerks are getting a bit more! Most I know have been working hard for the same BS minimum with no hope of so much as a quarter yearly raise. Whether you think they 'could-have' 'should-have' whatever it takes a LOT to show up every day for a craptastic job punctuated by whiney unwashed customers, insane power freaking floor bosses and the ever lovely sweaty ass crack money the cashiers deal with.

Mini-rant
Those cashiers see as many germs and nastiness on a daily basis as a ER nurse. Customers sneeze all over themselves then think nothing about handing over those coupons. Maybe checking out the website 'the people of walmart' would check some of that 'privilege' crap I read further up in the thread. Where I live it's mostly seniors working to supplement their SSI at our local Wally-world, same thing at our local Sam's Club. There's a few guys in their 40's doing stocking, but for the most part it's someones granny working the registers.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Read comments so far and it appears majority of those complaining of Walmart and it's business practices also shop at Walmart - why is that?

I stopped long time ago because I don't like supporting Chinese economy and military.

I pay more for products and groceries overall but deem it worth it.

As far as wages and hours are concerned - as long as there are people willing to take the jobs then Walmart will pay the least they can get away with.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Lol Should have known you'd know better !

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

Maybe the pressure of raising the minimum wage is finally embarrassing the Walton family. I'm sure their multi-billion dollar fortune won't break the bank. To them, this is pennies on the dollar. What's sad, is it takes public outcry to get these billionaires to reward their workers for helping their business become successful. Without workers who are struggling to make ends meet selling the Walton's merchandise, Walmart can't exist.
edit on 19-2-2015 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111
Could we please get more whining from people demanding more money for a job that requires absolutely no education, skill, or ability? "I've made absolutely nothing of myself and I demand a raise!". Please.
Sorry, but when the vast majority of jobs in the world are unskilled labor, you can't justify paying all of those positions poverty wages. That's the kind of thinking that's got us to where we are in the first place.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

Could we please get more whining from people demanding more money for a job that requires absolutely no education, skill, or ability?

Get of the high horse , a Job is a job and anyone who actually goes out and works has my respect.

Why is it whining for the guy that gets paid 10 bucks an hour to ask for more money than the educated,skilled guy who makes 100K + a year as a software developer who is getting replaced by foreign slave labor ? I'm not saying they deserve more but very few people are content with not making more money so why should they be any different.

With that said, the minimum income wage is just a political diversion used for the masses, cost of living and buying power is what really matters.

Also why is it acceptable that a Billion dollar company has a business model that utilizes welfare as part of their compensation package.

edit on 59228America/ChicagoThu, 19 Feb 2015 10:59:55 -0600up2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Far too little far too late.

The day this top 5 monster corporation goes bankrupt can't come soon enough for me. But that will be too little too late as well. The massive damage they've done and the mass fortune they've accumulated and it's cost to the U.S. can probably never be undone.

At least my conscience is clean. Which is more than these traitors will ever be able to say.
edit on 2/19/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes

originally posted by: Urantia1111
Could we please get more whining from people demanding more money for a job that requires absolutely no education, skill, or ability? "I've made absolutely nothing of myself and I demand a raise!". Please.
Sorry, but when the vast majority of jobs in the world are unskilled labor, you can't justify paying all of those positions poverty wages. That's the kind of thinking that's got us to where we are in the first place.

Loved your post. This idea that a job's pay rate is based solely on the perceived skill of the job is a strawman that they will throw at you.

These people do not value human life and lack total empathy for their fellow man. They are not worried about the safety of the community and the evolution of humanity into a better place.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Also why is it acceptable that a Billion dollar company has a business model that utilizes welfare as part of their compensation package.

They are operating under the illusion that somehow a job is difficult.

We all know the truth, most jobs become redundant after the first few years even the most highly skilled jobs. It becomes a process you walk through to get the job done. I know i am involved in a skilled trade that requires me to pay attention the entire time. It still becomes second nature as long as im half awake i get the job done and done well.

They think because they went to school they deserve more and thats just bull#.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
For the people who think unskilled workers don't deserve a livable wage... I ask you the following questions:

-How would you feel if nobody picked up your trash every week?

-How would you feel if stores were closed because we had nobody to sell the merchandise?

-How would you feel if there were no products to buy because there would be no people assembling and packaging the product.

-How would you like to eat off of a dirty plate, drink out of an unwashed glass, or use eating utensils with dried food caked on them every time you visited a restaurant?

-How would you like to do without the inconvenience of getting your morning coffee or stopping at a fast food restaurant when traveling on long trips.

-How would you like using disgusting and smelly public restrooms?

So just because someone is working an unskilled job, doesn't mean their job isn't important to society. When you think about it, unskilled workers are really more important than professional athletes. All they offer to society is entertainment, and they get paid more than doctors who save human lives!!!

edit on 19-2-2015 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

That's the beauty of a consumer society, everyone gets to judge everyone else & feel superior! Win:win:win...right?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I would be willing to wager that tom brady can do the dishes, but I doubt many waitresses can throw a forty yard spiral for a touchdown.
Waitresses would be paid much better if they were a loads harder to find.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: interupt42

They are operating under the illusion that somehow a job is difficult.

We all know the truth, most jobs become redundant after the first few years even the most highly skilled jobs. It becomes a process you walk through to get the job done. I know i am involved in a skilled trade that requires me to pay attention the entire time. It still becomes second nature as long as im half awake i get the job done and done well.

They think because they went to school they deserve more and thats just bull#.
The crazy thing is, the difficulty of a college degree or the length of time it takes to get it doesn't even guarantee that it pays more. Doctors and lawyers make load of money, sure, but what about a physics professor? Takes a lot of schooltime and effort, doesn't make diddly. Or a master craftsman. Spends a lifetime honing a skill; wage does not necessarily reflect this.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join