It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you shop for name brand clothing?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
So randomly, i thought about this today. How many people who consider themselves alternative thinkers or conspiracy theorist or critical thinkers follow fashion trends?

Do any of you?

Let me tell you about my own personal style.

So i like plain vneck tee shirts, jeans either levi or lucky brand, a pair of Adidas running shoes that are blueish in color. Real simple, oh and glasses cant forget glasses. I dont go out of my way to follow any trends i keep it simple how i like things these days.

In fact when i see people who go out of their to follow trends or spend to much time on their clothes i kind of avoid contact with them. I dont know why really i just started thinking about this. Part of me just thinks that if you follow these trends your kinda dumb. I do appreciate people who have original styles but its rare, very rare.

edit on 2/7/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

What ever the thrift store is selling is what I buy.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The only named brand items i buy are footware, i favor dc skate shoes because theyre made well and fit well, magnum boots, yet again!, made well, fits well. I wear a lot of heavy metal band t shirts, but apart from those, i dont shop for named brands, ive found clothes of equal or better quality cheaper, without a fancy label.
All the best.
B. V. H

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
My wardrobe consists of mainly t-shirts and a few button up dress shirts, jeans, shorts, slacks, and a gray pair of running shoes and a pair of steel toe boots.

I usually dress simple unless is something big like a night out for dinner or a date or something similar. I don't follow fashion trends either, I just get what I like and wear it.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

What ever the thrift store is selling is what I buy.
Ditto. Fashion is just a trend. Style is what you wear based on your preferences and how they reflect your individual personality. Occasionally I buy trendy items,but only if they compliment my style. Refilling my closet every season is not a priority.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The only brand names I really shop for are Nike shoes because they last forever. In fact, the pair Im wearing rightnow, I have owned for 4 years. A little indentation on the toe, but otherwise dont look to bad for being 4 years old.

The other brand is fruit of the loom, and at that, it is only for gray and black undershirts. Otherwise, its whateve4 looks good wherever. Mostly Marshalls/Ross or Kohls, because they have awesome deals.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Jeans, a T shirt, and my old standard issue boots if its too cold or too public to be bare foot.
No particular brand as long as it doesn't cost an arm,leg,and your firstborn I'm fine.
Never cared about fashion, especially after seeing the kids wearing sandals with those dark diabetic looking socks hiked up to somewhere under their shorts, in public

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Rspca thrift stores finest. I rock it.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Yeah me also.
Mind you you gotta prise these dungarees off me at the moment. I used to wear them 30 years ago and they rock..everyone laughs but sod em.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I have to say in my youth i did love the designer gear. Versace, Armani, DKNY, Prada and all the rest. Time was i probably did not leave the house without nearly £1000-£1500 on my back.

Then i had some children(well not me personally), now im lucky if i can afford a decent pair of jeans n trainers never mind anything else. Truth be told im far happier and a lot more secure in myself.

edit on 7-2-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Depends on the brand and the product, but I have my share of no name brand stuff. I haven't bought any Nike or Adidas stuff in a long time due to it being over price and easy to ruin, and the last pair of shoes I bought were reebok that has lasted me like two years. When ever I buy name brand stuff thought, it usually has a purpose, like a jacket that I plan on using for a long time through a couple of seasons or very comfortable underwear.

I prefer a laid back sporty look most of the time, and only buy name brand stuff if they got a particular use. Unlike school, were kids would brag about their clothing and compare to those less fortunate.

Or how they would hate other kids and say they are snobby for having better clothing cause mommy and daddy didn't spend money on drugs and booze and that kids parents were smart with their money.
edit on 7-2-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I usually shop thrift stores unless it's something I know I'll be wearing for a few years, winter coat, rubber boots, etc. the crappy thing here in Canada is that the thrift stores are getting consistently more expensive, with jeans at ValueVilliage running as high as $20. Even the smaller thrift stores charge between 3 and 5 dollars for a sweater. The crazy thing is, you can often go to Winners, which sells discounted name brand clothes and goods, and find brand new clothing on clearance for the same price.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Nah I don't think I own anything that is branded! I wear a mix of cheap and vintage clothes, I don't really follow trends, just buy what I like, sometimes it happens to be 'trendy' sometimes it doesn't. I don't find branded clothes are any better to be honest, I feel I am just paying for their expensive advertising!

I was watching a documentary once which showed designer label clothing being made alongside cheap high street clothing on the same production line!

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Scouse100

So true. i bought a really nice bike instead of a car about a year for commuting. When i was picking out the bike i wanted i was talking to the bike "expert" and he told me the only difference between the brands is the brand itself that they are all made in the same factories.

So for me the choice was obvious.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
So i like plain vneck tee shirts, jeans

For his second and final collaboration with French clothing brand A.P.C., Kanye West has turned to military style for inspiration.
The rapper, who has a penchant for army-themed clothes himself, worked with A.P.C. founder Jean Touitou to bring the collection to fruition, designing 14 different pieces that will hit stores on July 17.
But dressing like Kanye will cost you a pretty penny; pieces range in price from $90 for a plain white T-shirt to $2,865 for a fur-lined parka.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... ml#ixzz3R5aMx0qW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Shamefully, I like shopping for clothes at Wal-Mart. They have really good trendy stylish # that is off-brand and reasonably cheap.
I recently got a pair of skate shoe knock-offs from Wal-Mart for $20 that are black suede and camoflauge vinyl material, look like Vans, happy w/them.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

Personally i do most of my clothing shopping on-line at a significant reduction in cost comparable to the clothing stores. To be quite frank i really don't know how clothing retail outlets are still able to turn a profit in today's society.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
There are only a couple of brand names I look for. Carhart, Columbia, etc. Some brands have earned a reputation for quality and long life. I look more for where an item is made- I try to buy local as much as I can. And I stick to natural materials for the most part. Cotton, wool, leather (I love me a new linen shirt!). I don't like the feel of artificial products on my skin.

What it's made of and where it's made is the important thing, not the name on the label.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I generally don't bother with looking at the brand. I'm more worried about stuff that fits and is comfortable to me.

I'm one of those women who has longer than normal limbs, so I wind up with men's long-sleeve tees and thermals a lot for casual wear. Or men's sweat shirts. The arm length is what I'm after. In the women's section, the arm length generally rides somewhere between above my wrist and below being excusable as 3/4, so it looks bad.

In recent years, the overlong sleeve has made a comeback on women's tees, so I've been getting more women's long-sleeve tees, but I still love men's long-sleeve thermals layered under short-sleeve tee shirts or just on their own.

As for jeans, I wear what fits and what I can afford regardless of the brand. I usually only have two or three pairs running around because I mostly have office wear in my wardrobe for work.

Shoes are the only place where I do look for brand. My feet are long and very narrow with a high arch. I tend to wear Reebok or Adidas although my latest pair is a pair of Nikes that happened to be narrower than the norm for that brand. For office wear, I favor Naturalizer as it also tends to fit my foot type well.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
A couple of DeWalt heated work jackets and 2 pairs of Fila running shoes (2 for 1 sale). Lots of brewery and manufacturer promo shirts and sweaters( freebies pays to be a drunken contractor sometimes). Other than that it's Sally Ann or thrift stores for work clothes (80% of my wardrobe), Costco or Wallymart for nicer stuff (20%) and my birthday suit or next to it if I'm at home and know no-ones coming over. Spending summers at a nudist colony in my younger days dispelled any inhibitions quite effectively.

So I guess I'd have to say no I'm not a fashion slave in any sense but I do have good style sense. Like Max webster says high Class in Borrowed Shoes

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I just wear jeans, chamois/flannel plaids and boots when I'm out, barefoot when I'm around the house/town. I'm a big guy so thrift stores rarely have my size shirts and pants, luckily I buy stuff to last so I don't have to buy for years.

I have some Weatherproof chamois shirts that are super thick, and some Cabella's shirts because I loved the patterns and had to have them.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join