It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you shop for name brand clothing?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
shopgoodwill.com buddy. I am a regular customer!

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SkipperJohn

yep I too am a Goodwill Card holder.... but i shop fleece on sale at Walmart too

I got all summers shorts & tees & sports pants etc for under $50 up-to and after the black Friday sales,,,

discontinued are like 4$ for a 19$ item...

and 39$ shoes at the one-time closing of a local K-Mart store... got 4 kinds of shoe styles, loafers/deckers/suede/leather Spanish style all less than 6$ per pair....
keeps me styled for the next 5 years at least... but you gotta be sitting on enough cash to take advantage of those rare events

edit on th28142334873807382015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Nothing born in a sweatshop. The brand is meaningless. In the city, it's all about impression, and I prefer to dress well, so stick mainly to black, graphite, whites, navy blue, with a small flash of color stirred in. In the woods, fishing, surviving, it's all about utility, and opt for the finest gear I can afford.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I'm not big on the styles/trends that come and go ... comfort, fit and price are the selling points for me. I am not too proud to say that the "V. V. Boutique" (Value Village) is my favourite store for recycles and Giant Tiger for buy new.

Many years ago there was a line of clothing called "Weekenders" that were ordered through home parties. Now these items were NOT CHEAP but they were Canadian made and still wear like iron. Most of the stuff was made to co-ordinate with styles from one year to the next. In fact I have a pair of the pants on right now and they are so comfortable. Unfortunately they were bought out by another company south of the border and then just disappeared from the market up here.

When I first started working in an office (30 years ago) I paid more attention to fashion trends, but also at that time it was really cheap to make your own clothes and luckily I was able to do that. Now our office is supper casual and just about anything goes as long as its not too provocative, jeans and sweatshirts are popular.

Will buy good shoes like New Balance, but watch for the "buy one, second pair half price sales". Also because I'm in Canada my boots are and coats are purchased more because they have extreme cold ratings on them than for style. And of course a toque!

So I'm guessing then that I give name brands a
unless I find them at a garage sale.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

During my twenties it was all about the brand. Fit and quality weren't considerations. It took me a while but I learned the art of good satorial attire the hard way: mistakes (some expensive) and actually taking on board advice. I still buy named brand clothing but will wait for the sales and purchase goods that are made in the UK (shoes, shirts, coat etc.) which will come from established manufacturers like Gieves and Hawkes, Loake etc. If You buy cheap you buy twice and spending a little more on Goodyear welted shoes, for example, and you could have a pair that would last a lifetime – literally. Combine shrewd sales hunting with online trips to eBay, Yoox etc. as well as having a tailor on hand to make alterations (cheaper than you think) and you are all good to go for classic, well-fitting clothes that last years and not months.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I went to a dept store, tried on a bunch of jeans. Found one style that fit perfect. Just happened to be
Levi's.

I now buy only that style in various colors. Not because of the brand name, but because they fit.

I wear jeans and t-shirts. I like funny t-shirts, so I search for them online. No particular brand.

I wear only MBT shoes. They're expensive, so I usually just replace them when they wear out.

I'm very basic.

LOL ---- thankfully I don't work anymore. Goodwilled all my designer clothes and heels. Very happy

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
You can find brand names in any second hand store for really cheap. A brand name means nothing. You can often find clothing of the same if not better quality and style without having a brand name.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Most of my clothes are second hand or passed on by friends, op shops are great especially when they have $1 day, I will wear dead mans socks but I won't wear dead mans undies, so bras and undies are my only brand new purchases for years, and I also make a lot of my own clothes out of mostly second hand fabric from op shop, most of my kids clothes are second hand or bought by my mother, I cut my own hair for 25 years also and don't use hair products for style just good old fashioned bed hair look . Easy Peasy .a reply to: onequestion

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
If I like it, if it fits, if it's comfortable, and if the price is right, I buy it! I've never bought things based upon brand names.

I'm also not concerned about buying an expensive car for the purpose of portraying it as a status symbol. I look for reliability and practical use. If it gets me from point A to B, and meets my criteria and price that I want in a vehicle, it's fine with me. The last thing I want is to spend my hard earned money on an expensive status symbol.
edit on 7-2-2015 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
For pants and shorts I generally go for Levies or tommy hill, and when I do its from an outlet store. Reason, because they make quality stuff and its usually all denim or better, so I get what I paid for.

For all my other clothes, I am a t-shirt and jeans kinda guy so it's what ever is on sale and somewhat fashionable, doesn't matter the brand.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

An interesting question. I rarely buy clothes, one of the benefits of being thin. I am given clothes a lot. Don't pay attention to labels when I have to.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Remember the peer pressure in Public school? Late 60's probably very early 70's all the kids were wearing those awful plaid baggy pants with the platform shoes and it was so popular at the time everyone was convinced they were the coolest cat in the school.
My group of friends would not shut up about how cool they looked and how comfortable their attire was....LOL I stuck to my GWG jeans and tees and crappy sneakers and I was quite pleased with my comfort zone as well. This all started the first day of school and by the end of November there was not a baggy set of pants to been seen as well as the platform shoes.

It always made me laugh inside as we sat in class and there were a ton of platform shoes kicked off and laying in the aisles as they were not comfortable.

Jeans and Tees for life here, 54 Years old and counting.........Yep I am comfortable with whom I am and always have been.

S&F
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I don't follow any fashion trend.
Been a t-shirt and jeans kinda guy since I was a teenager.
I DO buy name brand footwear though.
Not really for fashion but in the world of footwear, you really do get what you pay for if you have certain types of needs for shoes and boots.

I bought a pair of wolverine hiker/work boots over three years ago for around 120 bucks, and just this winter they finally started to die at the stitching,although I am still wearing them.
3 years of hell that I can almost guarantee no cheap pair of walmart boots would of lasted.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I only buy made in America, union made.

ACTWU rocks!

www.britannica.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

ACTWU rocks!

www.britannica.com...

Yep. There's a few Buy America sites. But, where do the raw materials come from? That gets a bit trickier.

www.ibuyamericanstore.com...
www.madeintheusa.com...
edit on 7-2-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
My absolute favourite store to shop in is called "Hubby's Closet".

It has a fantastic selection of faded, overwashed, uber soft, retro rock band t-shirts like nobody's business !

... and you can't beat the prices !

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
Doc Martens when they were still made in the UK.

I am using a Doc Marten boot to keep my door shut. The lock mechanism needs replacing lol so it swings open sometimes.

Good for something!

*Mutters something about paying $130 for a pair of boots over 10 years ago that he probably wore less than 100 times*

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

What ever the thrift store is selling is what I buy.

Yep, pretty much same here.
Though I do spend money on new shoes. Even then though, I usually get them at Payless or WalMart.
Except for boots. I spend good money on boots.

Other than a suit, or formal clothes, I don't really see the point in buying new. Often, I get high-end name brand clothing at thrift and consignment stores. My wife has REAL high-end purses and shoes that she gets at consignment stores too. Paying retail for anything is just against my grain.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I don't get paid to advertise...so no branding for me...if it fits well, is comfortable, doesn't have a logo, and I like it...I'll wear it...

Å99

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: olaru12

ACTWU rocks!

www.britannica.com...

Yep. There's a few Buy America sites. But, where do the raw materials come from? That gets a bit trickier.

www.ibuyamericanstore.com...
www.madeintheusa.com...

North Carolina is still a textile mfg. powerhouse. Union strong!!

www.manufacturednc.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join