It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any quick fix home remedies for strep throat?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I went and got checked out today and have strep throat. It is incredibly unfortunate timing as I have big plans this weekend that I can't really renege on.

Anyone got any tips or tricks? This has got to be the most painful bout I've ever had, and I got antibiotics and pain killers (I NEVER use pain killers).

I'm going to try the old salt gargle.

It's only the right side, and my lymph node is enormous. It actually feels like a chicken egg, I thought that was just an expression. Feels like someone is stabbing from my throat into my ear with a pencil. In other words,

Thanks, I'm going to go wallow in pain now.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Suggest you renege on plans as strep throat is contagious.

All the best for a speedy recovery, Domo.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Yeah, true. Thanks.

Oh I shouldn't be contagious on Sunday as I started antibiotics today. They say 24 hours.
edit on 0620150220151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I got a bad case of strep in my senior year of high school. Wow! Talk about miserable. Never had any before or since that sucked that bad.

Waited allmost a week before going to the doc for antibiotics and the only thing that would help were a lozenge called Fisherman's Friend. No idea if they still make them or not, but they basicly numed everything. Lips, tounge, mouth,,, without those things I probably would have slammed my head in a car door.

Probably best to cancell plans though and stay in bed lol

Hope you feel better quick

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I was going to suggest salt water gargle, but you already said it. LOL I wish you luck and yeah...stay home so you don't give it to someone else.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Thanks man, I remember those things. They were awesome. I might try and find some.

The only symptoms I have are incredibly painful throat and trouble swallowing (I do a little grimace/dance). No fever or anything and I got a fair amount done today despite the pain in the ass in my neck.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Just put some tussin on it!

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
disclaimer: i'm not a doctor, this is just some of the things i do when i have sore throats.

anything hot and spicy works, as it also relieves inflammation. unfortunately, it's also painful. juice from an actual lemon (not that plastic squeeze lemon but an actual fruit you can hold in your hand, cut in half and squeeze the juice out of) in a cup of hot tea with some local honey, a dash of whiskey in it, to relax throat muscles. cold compress to the swollen lymph node side - place on side of jaw/neck there.

erm. avocados. spicy v-8 juice. rebalance your pH with seltzer water or baking soda in water or apple cider vinegar. replace your natural flora with plain yogurt or acidophilus / probiotics.

can't think of anything else atm.
edit on 6-2-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Yeah, I remember feeling ok too, just felt like someone scrubbed out my throat with a brass bristle 12 gauge shotgun brush. Hey! Maybe that would help,,

Anyway 2 to 3 days of antibiotics and you'll be sippin whiskey

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Try gargling with 10ppm Ionic siver (often erroneously labeled as "Colloidal Silver"). I had a very severe sinus infection and cured it in two treatments with an Ionic silver flush of my sinus cavity.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Try gargling with 10ppm Ionic siver (often erroneously labeled as "Colloidal Silver"). I had a very severe sinus infection and cured it in two treatments with an Ionic silver flush of my sinus cavity.

I have heard a lot of good things about silver. Supposed to be a dam good antibiotic. That would be worth a try. Probably tough to get on short notice though?

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Don't mess with strep throat. Take the antibiotics by doctors instruction.

Very contagious and can lead to complications.

Avoid milk, chocolate, honey, anything that might coat the throat and give bacteria a place to hang.

Warm salt water should be OK.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

24 to 36 hours for the antibiotics to start kicking in. Are you on them for 3, 5, or 7 days?

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

I have heard a lot of good things about silver. Supposed to be a dam good antibiotic. That would be worth a try. Probably tough to get on short notice though?

That depends on who you ask.

I'd ask for facts backing up any claim.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

You can find the stuff at any local vitamin or health food store. It has saved me hundreds of dollars in doctor visits.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Strep?
I'm surprised you have enough energy to sit up and post.

NOt only did I find it painful, bu it zapped all of my energy for a week.
So, you may have plans, but your body may be deciding for you.

All untried by me, but FTR
altmedicine.about.com...
Dr.Oz fix
www.earthclinic.com...

Good luck!!!!!
And feel better

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

5. First dose (two pills) this morning.
edit on 0620150220151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Colloidal and Ionic silver opthalmic suspensions used to be used in hospitals years ago for prophylaxis against eye infections in newborns. It does work, its just knowing what concentration to use, and when to use it.
edit on 6-2-2015 by BELIEVERpriest because: typo

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

a reply to: Annee

Colloidal and Ionic silver opthalmic suspensions used to be used in hospitals years for prophylaxis against eye infections in newborns. It does work, its just knowing what concentration to use, and when to use it.

I suggest again.

Research current real facts on any homeopathic treatment.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join